Need to vent. Don't know what to do with my life :( - page 2
I want to be a nurse but my parents are totally against the idea. I told them that i was going to pay for it all myself but i need them to fill out a FAFSA form but they don't want to because they... Read More
Jun 26, '03You need to do what it is that YOU want to do, not what your parent's want you to do. You should be able to talk to your financial aid officer or your advisor and tell them the situation about your parents refusing to fill out your fafsa, I'm sure there are ways that they can get the information. I'm sure you aren't the only student who is unable to get ahold of that info.
Whatever you do, don't give in. It's your life and you need to get them to understand that.
Good luck and I hope everything works out for the best.
Jun 27, '03Sounds like it's time to 'get outta Dodge'. Your parents have raised you to be a bright, responsible person. Now they need to let you make your own decisions, and trust your judgement!! I wish you the best of luck. Be yourself, and be true to yourself!!
Jun 30, '03BankOne has an educational loan that you can borrow up to $30,000/year for school expenses. You can look at their website at www.educationone.com
Jun 30, '03MJ-12:
- You need to be declared "independent" of your parents.
- Ask the nursing school to give you a "deferred acceptance" until next year. Then move out of your parent's house into an "el cheapo" apartment.
- If you have a few $$ -- take some pre-reqs at local community college. Cost is cheap -- like $275/class. Just make sure credits tranfer to private school
- Get a job. So you can eat. Work at hospital doing cleanup work or perhaps become CNA. Lots of nursing homes will pay for CNA.
- Once you have been declared "independent" of mum & dad, NONE of THEIR income matters. If you make like $10 or $15K next year --- you will more than likely get a "free ride". Meaning, you will probably get 90-100% of your tuitiojn & books paid for.
- The downside.
- If you get financial aid --- you gotta take a full course load.
- If you fall behind in credits - you loose financial aid.
- You only get 4 yrs worth of financial aid (the grants). After that it's loans. Also, govt won't give grants out for 2nd undergrad degree.
- I would talk with school counselor/etc. See what it would take to get financial aid w/o parents. See if you can be declared (on financial aid form) legally independent of parents before school starts this fall. This way, you can apply and get loans.
- If you are 18 --- I have a hard time believing you need ma & pa's signature to get financial aid....especially if you just up and move out.
- Them's your options.
- John Coxey
Jun 30, '03Maybe you can drive further and go to a community college. Mine runs about 4k TOTAL for my ADN with books and everything. Good luck. I hope your parents will learnt o be more openminded. Have you thought of gettting a mediator. Maybe a family member who will listen to both sides sugeestions and opinions. Maybe if your parents knew how badly you want this,.
Jul 1, '03Sounds like your parents are nurses. Just kidding.
Who knows? Maybe you will think nursing sucks. Maybe your life will suck because you're a nurse. Maybe your kids will hate you and you'll go to hell, never get married and get no respect from anyone.
But all that could happen even if you're the CEO of a Fortune 500 company (or a ballerina, or an accountant, or a doctor, or the wife of a CEO of a Fortune 500 company, or whatever it is that your parents want you to do).
Go ahead and be a nurse if that's what you want to do (and I have a feeling that's what they'll end up saying). And if worse comes to worse, I'll marry you.
Jul 2, '03Originally posted by NancyRN
Can you work your way through LPN school? Then when you get a job as a nurse, you can take classes for RN, if that's your goal. Hospitals do have tuition reimbursement but you have to work full time ( hard to work full time and go to nursing school).
I can't imagine parents not wanting their child to be a nurse. What kind of social background are they? Are they from the US? Very strange and I feel for ya.
Jul 2, '03Originally posted by Email4KH
And if worse comes to worse, I'll marry you.
What you are saying is true, if you choose work that is not you, you will just be miserable and no one will want to marry you anyway, you will b**** at your kids, and probably kill something in which case you will go to H*** anyway!