I'm so sad.

  1. I was excited last week that I had gotten my acceptance letter into the ADN program, but now I am sad this week because now I will have to turn my spot down.
    This weekend the air conditioner went out in my van and has to be fixed and then I found a bald spot on my tires so that they need to be replaced. Soooo, there goes my school money.
    I will still be able to take the 2 additional classes that I need ( microbiology and Human growth and development) but it is such a downer! I had originally planned to take those two and wait until next year, but I went ahead and applied to see if I would get in. I will start the nursing program next year. If I made it in this year, surely I'll make it in next year too, especially with the other two classes out of the way.
    Melissa in Alabama
  2. Visit Momto2monsters profile page

    About Momto2monsters

    Joined: May '02; Posts: 24


    Melissa - I'm sorry this had to happen when you were so excited about starting the program.

    Ya know my answer to everything? Mastercard! Seriously though, is there no other way you can do this? It just seems like such a shame to let the opportunity go when you've already been accepted. At my school, people that turned down their spots went back to the bottom of the list (which was a 2 year wait at the time).

    Have you checked into the defferred payment plan at your school. You could get that stuff you need now, put some down on school, and pay the rest in payments.

    Just some suggestions.

  4. by   Momto2monsters
    I've got to much on the ol' mastercard to add more, LOL!:roll I will really be alright though. It will be easier on me in the long run to not have to take the micro and HGD along with my nursing classes. And luckily, my school does not keep a waiting list anymore. Everyone starts out on level ground when they apply to the program, they just go by gpa and pre or coreques completed. This will allow me to get those coreques out of the way and it can only boost my gpa for the program.
    Thanks for caring!
    Melissa in Alabama
  5. by   meownsmile
    Dont give up your spot just yet. Did you check out any of the scholarships on fastweb.com? And there is always student loans from the bank. If the bank cant do it, they may know another route. Dont give up yet.
    I always have things happen at the most inoportune times too and it stinks. But go out hunting, an answer may turn up.
  6. by   natsfanrn
    I agree...if money is the primary reason you want to hold off, beg, borrow or steal (well okay, don't steal) your way into school. This year it may be bald tires and ac, but next year when you get ready to start it may very well be a new engine and hot water heater (hope I didn't just jinx you...). Something will always come up...and you'll be able to pay for those things a lot easier once you have that license in hand
  7. by   susanmary
    I know it seems difficult right now, but think about student loans. MANY hospitals "forgive" student loans -- you will be in a great position to negotiate after you graduate. Best of luck to you.
  8. by   allthingsbright
    Financial aid options? Students loans? There has to be a way! And if not, I believe there are always reasons for this kind of stuff to happen! Much luck to you!
  9. by   MPHkatie
    First step here is to contact the school. If they do not know you need cash, they will offer it to someone else. ASK, and then receive, call the schools financial aide society and look into govt sponsered student loans, the interest on them is verrry low so not a bad investment. My state had a loan program which forgave as long as I stayed out and worked full time in a hospital somewhere in the state. Don't just decide without asking, there is money out there, please go for it and just take a chance and ask. even if ther eis nothing now, they will remember you and may be able to shunt some of it your way int he future.
  10. by   micro
    and if you have to give up your spot, do not give up your dream...........
    do not as others have said.....give up your spot...........
    but if all else fails give up your spot for only a year and
    so get whatever else you need done before this........
    and it could be a blessing in disguise..........

    "and I know throw the rotten tomatoes my way, because I hate it still when people say these plaititudes towards me, even to this day"

    but I do love you and I do care............
    as we all do , so let me and us know how it is going!!!!!!
  11. by   maire
    Sounds familiar...when I first started school the transmission blew on our minivan and it cost a small fortune to get it fixed. I think that was the semester I only took one class (microbiology).

    Chin up, and stay focused!
  12. by   RNIAM
    Seriously, have you considered student loans? They are my life-line. Just a thought.
    Good luck in whatever you decide.
  13. by   ADN 2002
    I really hope you will be able to find a way to accept your position in the ADN class, but if you don't, here's a bright side to this problem: getting all your non-nursing courses out of the way before entering the ADN program will make it a LOT easier. I took all my non-nursing courses in preparation for my BSN (actually got an associate's degree out of it) and then changed my mind to go ahead and enter the ADN program. I won't say that nursing school was easy, but I DEFINITELY had an easier time of it than some of my other classmates that were juggling extra course work in addition to their nursing classes. Best decision I ever made.

    Either way, God has His plan for you and won't let you do the wrong thing.

  14. by   Lisa2902
    I wouldn't give up just yet. Check with the hospitals in your area. I know that where I live the hospitals offer a program where you sign a contract and they will pay for your schooling then you just work for them until your contract is fullfilled. This may be a good route for you. I wouldn't want to wait another year.