Survey: Do you leave work at your scheduled time on a regular basis?

  1. Here are the results of last months survey question
    Do you leave work at your scheduled time on a regular basis? :

    Please feel free to read and post any comments that you have right here in this discussion thread by clicking the "Post Reply" button.

    Last edit by brian on May 18, '04
  2. Visit Brian profile page

    About Brian, ADN

    Joined: Mar '98; Posts: 15,418; Likes: 16,385 founder; from US
    Specialty: CCU, Geriatrics, Critical Care, Tele


  3. by   caroladybelle
    About 10% of the time.

    And how many of us get our entitled (and nonpaid) breaks.
  4. by   Nurse Ratched
    At the office - 95% of the time.

    At the hospital, the vast majority of the time as long as the next shift gets out of report on time .
  5. by   Repat
    Yes, I make a point of leaving on time. However, it is very often at the expense of my lunch and breaks. We get daily nasty notes about clocking in too early, and clocking out late, so I figure I am only one person and if it doesn't get done, someone else will have to do it. Never do sign out "missed lunch" either, so they are coming out ahead -
  6. by   wjf00
    Leave early 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time I have nothing to complain about and wont ask for OT.
  7. by   CseMgr1
    I leave ON time 100% of the time...ever since my Dr. told me I couldn't work more than 8hrs/day, because the 10-11hr. days I was being forced to work was destroying what little is left of my back.
    Last edit by CseMgr1 on Mar 17, '04
  8. by   Loribabble
    I actually get to leave a little bit early on my current unit.... as long as report is given and work is done... we get to leave.

    I have usually always left on time - those times I needed to stay over I had to stay over for about an hour.... had books of charting to write after a H*LL night....

    I was blessed to have a wonderful perceptor as a new grade who had time management down to a science. Her pt's were always well cared for, and well loved.... I guess some of it rubbed off on me
  9. by   longtermcarern
    90% of the time I leave within 15 minutes of "on time" because we work straight 8's with no overlap, it is hard to count narcs and give verbal report and still leave on time. usually only happens if the oncoming nurse clocks in 10 minutes early. we do get paid for our breaks though.
  10. by   wenron
    I have about 5 hours overtime/week on average. I work in Home Health and there is TONS of paperwork.

    Quote from brian
    This month's survey Question:

    Do you leave work at your scheduled time on a regular basis?

    Please take a minute to take our yes/no survey question at the bottom of the homepage.

    Also, please feel free to reply to this topic to post any comments that you may have on the topic.
  11. by   HUP RN
    Never! I envy you all being able to finish your work and leave on time! Where I work we have extremely heavy patients + 12 page assessment sheets for each pt. to fill out+ all the pt. hx/changes and complete orders we have to enter in a computer +charting meds+writing extended shift note in a pt's chart (in addition to the one in computer)+ evaluating telemetry strips for my pt's and the pt's that some agency/travelers have (b/c they are not tele certified). And not to forget that we often do not have a CNA so we do all the care . What lunch breaks? NONE! My shift 7pm-7am. If I leave my job at 9am- this must have been a great night! :angryfire
  12. by   nrsjo
    Generally leave on time, but I don't get breaks, and I frequently eat lunch at the station. So I charge back for lunches.

    I'm lucky that I have a manager that doesn't rag anyone about coming in late.
  13. by   zambezi
    I get to leave on time about 95% of the time. The only time I leave late is if my patient is really unstable all night and I have alot of charting/long report to give, or if my patient crashes right before change of shift. Otherwise, I am out of there.
  14. by   Ruby Vee
    I get my breaks, my lunch and leave on time. It comes from prioritizing. If they ain't gonna pay me overtime to do it, I don't do it on overtime! My charting gets done as the day goes, because that IS something I would have to stay overtime to do. But if the bath doesn't get done, oh well. They're not going to pay me overtime to stay and bathe a patient, so if I don't have the time, I don't do it. I used to feel really bad about stuff like that, but now I figure if it was a priority for management that patients get baths, they'd hire enough staff to accomplish it. As far as breaks -- there isn't much that can't wait 15 minutes, or even 30! CPR, no. Massive bleeding probably not. Admitting a patient from OR won't wait. But hanging another antibiotic or unit of blood . . . 15 minutes usually won't be the end of someone. If it is, break can wait.

    Of course, I may have given a different answer 25 years ago!