Sick Buildings....

  1. Has your workplace or your home ever made you sick? It did me, for the first two-three months I began working at my new job almost three years ago, I stayed sick, with Bronchitis, Sinus Infections...and ultimately, asthma. It's a scary thought, that the very things that you depend on every day can make you sick...or even kill you....
  2. Visit CseMgr1 profile page

    About CseMgr1

    Joined: Apr '02; Posts: 2,611; Likes: 940
    Assessment Nurse
    Specialty: 39 year(s) of experience in Case Management, Home Health, UM


  3. by   CseMgr1
    Let me try this again...gave you guys a bad link...sorry!:imbar
  4. by   VickyRN
    Yes, was in a small community hospital that was on a river and flooded by a series of hurricaines. Many of the other flooded structures in the community had been declared environmentally unsafe because of mold problems (school, health department, etc.) and had been abandoned, but not the hospital. Reportedly, there were stalagtites of mold growing UNDER the hospital foundation. Everytime I entered the building to go to work, my eyes would water and I would begin sneezing, and sometimes have a runny nose. I also started having wheezing in my chest (had NEVER had any respiratory problems before). Thankfully, have had no residual effects since I left there years ago.
  5. by   redshiloh
    We have been trying to get our AC ducting cleaned for the last 4 years. I get the feeling they don't believe us when we say that some people only get sick while they are here.
  6. by   SmilingBluEyes
    Red,the problem is more likely they don't want to spend the money to fix it; not that they don't believe you when you say there is a PROBLEM! GRRRRRRRRRRRR!
  7. by   ptnurse
    Several years ago my husband worked in a manufacturing plant. During his 5 years there he had pneumonia, 2 sinus surgeries and countless sinus infections. He was sometimes only off antibiotics for 2 days before he was sick again. The final straw was when he started breaking out in welps when he walked into the place. Turned out he was allergic to part of the manufacturing process. I was so glad when he got out of there. Place is closed now, all the jobs went to Mexico.
  8. by   CseMgr1
    OMG!! Talk about a hellhole! (No pun intended).
    Glad he got out of there...even if his job went to Mexico.
  9. by   renerian
    Yes I bought an old home, 90 years old. I lived there 4 years and was sick all the time. I have asthma. Eventually it got so bad I needed steriods, ALOT, 80 mg a day for 6 months. My allergy/asthma Dr. asked me to move to a hotel for a week. I did that. Within three days I was almost symptom free. I had been tested and had a ton of allergies and mold was a big one. In the basement I had to clean the walls with this acid solution every month. I had it treated. Nothing worked. I eventually sold the home at a huge loss.

  10. by   KaroSnowQueen
    I took a new job in 96. Asthma got much worse, gosh awful sinus infections, the flu 2 or 3 times every year. Terrible, terrible, terrible migraines, headaches of the normal kind every single solitary day I worked there. Quit in 2001. Since then, One maybe two asthma attacks. One sinus attack, not bad. No flu. Very few migraines, one brought on by food allergy, a couple more by stress due to family problems that were unavoidable (sudden illness and death). I used to joke I was allergic to the building, but now I really think I was. Very seldom get a regular headache unless I don't get enough sleep.
    There is a house two blocks up from me that is uninhabitable because of black mold. It has yellow police tape and condemnation notices. People had just bought it and got very very ill. Thought they had it fixed but found some more. Will have to be torn down.