How to find best Dr/Hospital?

  1. Hi there,

    I have an 8 year old son that had a borderline ekg for left ventricular hypertrophy. I am in a town that has one pediatric cardiologist. I am wanting to prepare in advance to get a second opinion.

    How do I find out where the best place to take him would be or the best dr for him to see? I am in Erie, PA, and am about 1 1/2 hours away from Childrens Hosp of Pittsburg, Cleveland or Buffalo, as well as the Cleveland Clinic. Maybe there are others I should consider.

    Can anyone advise me here? Help!!!

  2. Visit wendyd profile page

    About wendyd

    Joined: Aug '01; Posts: 16
    unit secretary, nursing student Fall 2002


  3. by   shay
    Oh my...try private messaging NRSKaren RN...she's in PA, but probably won't see this thread. Hope your son is okay.
  4. by   CATHYW
    I am not being flip, but try the Internet. Put in the Cleveland Clinic, and the names of the University Hospitals. Then look under Pediatric Staff, or Cardiology Staff, and print out the relevant bio (as well as contact #'s) info for any of the Physcians that sound appealing to you.
    Then, I would take my list of names to the Dr. that I most admired and trusted, who probably isn't even your son's pediatrician. This Physician would be someone on staff where you work, or someone that could consult via phone or e-mail, and ask if he/she knows any of these physicians. Someone may have gone to school with one of them-you never know.
    At the very least, I would take my list to my son's Pediatrician, or the Pediatric Cardiologist in your town, if you wind up going there. I would also check to see if there were any Preferred Providers on your insurance, or any that your insurance would not pay for. With the assistance of these people, pick the Physician that you feel will best suit your son.
    Of course, be sure to put your son's situation in the hands of The Great Physician. I will be thinking about you all, and praying for you both. God bless.:kiss
  5. by   Mel3K

    Try these links: (Parent to Parent of PA, designed for parents of children with chronic illnesses and disabilities; they may be able to link you up with another family who can provide information and support.)


    Programs for Children with Special Health Care Needs
    C. Gail Stock, Director
    Division of Child and Adult Health Services
    Department of Health, Room 724
    P.O. Box 90
    Harrisburg, PA 17108
    (717) 772-2762
    (800) 986-4550 - Special Kids Networks

    (I do not have experience with this program but it appears that it may be similar to Ohio's Bureau for Children with Medical Handicaps, which I used for diagnostic visits and procedures for both my kids. Provided information as to physicians and assisted with payment. It was a God-send!)

    Also, I have put your question (as regards to the Cleveland area and the Clinic specifically) out to our network of parents and I'll let you know if I get any information from them.

    Good luck!
  6. by   CATHYW
    Great information, Melissa. I didn't have any concrete ideas, but yours sound super-helpful.
  7. by   wrightgd
    You can also try It allows you to search by geographic location, medical sub-specialty, etc... Also gives profiles for the docs, education, board certifications, etc...

    Not as good as first hand opinions, but it might help you locate a competent doc within your area...
  8. by   NRSKarenRN

    List of Children's Best Hospitals:

    Children's Pittsburgh is listed #4.....have email out to colleagues in area for names if known. Call facilities your interested in---see how easy front desk staff is to work with, answer questions, etc.

    Follow Cathy's advice re insurance in network etc.
    Good luck.
  9. by   wildhoney
    I just noticed your thread. I posted a new thread "interesting website" that may help you find the best of the best...hopefully.
    Good luck.
  10. by   wendyd
    Thanks to all of you who responded to my post. You are all wonderful and I will check out all of the info that you provided.


  11. by   canoehead
    When looking for a specialist I've always just called the hospital unit that would take care of that type of pt at night and asked the nurses who they thought was best, or who would be most likely to mesh with my needs (if I had any particular requests). I've also done this for patients looking for a recommendation and get some good information and leads.