Nonreactive Hep B titre

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Anesthesia.

I had some blood work a few weeks ago, and requested a Hep B titre. I called the MDs office today, and asked about it because if I'm not currently immune I want to repeat the vaccines. The nurse said my test was nonreactive, and I thought, "well, good" and I hung up. But then, it hit me.....What the hell does that mean? Is nonreactive good or is nonreactive bad? Am I protected or not?

Specializes in Emergency.

It means you are not protected. Although when I was tested a 3 years ago I was given a number. It had been 12 years since I was vaccinated.

RJ

I had some blood work a few weeks ago, and requested a Hep B titre. I called the MDs office today, and asked about it because if I'm not currently immune I want to repeat the vaccines. The nurse said my test was nonreactive, and I thought, "well, good" and I hung up. But then, it hit me.....What the hell does that mean? Is nonreactive good or is nonreactive bad? Am I protected or not?

I had a Hep B titer done as its been 8 years since my vaccinations. Nothing showed up, so I asked and I was told it wouldn't show up but that I was still immunized, as it was just at a very low level in the bloodstream, or something like that. Could have been a line of BS... can't even remember who told me at the point....

Missy:rolleyes:

Specializes in tele, ICU.

I guess I am an odd one... I had my Hep B vaccinations 10 years ago and am still incredibly immune. my titre was way over what they even report as being in the range of immunity but for some reason they still reported it.

Specializes in Geriatrics/Oncology/Psych/College Health.

There is generally an actual number associated with testing for immunity. The test for whether you do or don't have the disease is generally positive or negative. A bit more education from the person dispensing the results is warranted. I would recommend a call back to see whether you are immune, and if not, when you can get a booster :).

I'm thinking maybe they tested you for the disease itself, versus testing your immunity. There are a bazillion different hep tests and it's very easy to order the wrong one.

Specializes in Anesthesia.
There is generally an actual number associated with testing for immunity. The test for whether you do or don't have the disease is generally positive or negative. A bit more education from the person dispensing the results is warranted. I would recommend a call back to see whether you are immune, and if not, when you can get a booster :).

I'm thinking maybe they tested you for the disease itself, versus testing your immunity. There are a bazillion different hep tests and it's very easy to order the wrong one.

That's what I was thinking too, Nurse Ratched, that maybe they tested me for the disease rather than drawing a titre. Guess I'll be on the phone with them again tomorrow. Thanks everyone....

I had my Hep Be series the summer before I started nursing school, and titers, I think, at three or four months after that. My titers were fine, and I went along my merry way. A few years ago, I went to work for a HH agency and they drew my titers again. This time, my titers were too low, and they wanted me to have the series done again. I did some homework, and found the CDC recommends a second series if one does not seroconvert with the first series. I found this in the Red Book of Infectious Diseases. I chose not to do the series again just because my job situation was going to be changing again, and I would no longer be in a setting where I was at a higher risk. I am going to stay with that decision until I decide, if I ever do, to go back into hospital nursing.

I had to get my Hep B series twice before I had a high enough titer, that has been several years ago I should prob. have it drawn again. I had three MMR's in four years and still dont have any immunity LOL I am not planning on having on anymore kiddos so have decided not to take it again.

Specializes in Emergency.

Ive have had titers check on 3 different occasions since the vaccine in 1989, the first was between the second and third doses- had a needle stick, and that test was "ANTI-HBs...POSITIVE". The second test was in May 1998 and it read "HEPATITIS B SURFACE AB POSITIVE. The third was the one in 2001 i mentioned in my prior post and I can't seem to find the printout of that result, but I'm sure that that was resulted with a number. So as you can see the are resulted in different ways, Id call and speak with your physican directly or have them call you.

Specializes in MS Home Health.

Had mine done then and am still immune reactive.

renerian

I have had the series twice plus several "boosters and never converted. The ID consultant for my last employer said that I am "probably" immune :rolleyes:.

My younger 2 kids dad also didn't convert, at one point I was told "not to bother" vaccinating them as they "probably" won't convert either.

Specializes in MS Home Health.

What beautiful eyes your grandchild has!!!!!

renerian :)

+ Add a Comment