Attn: 2nd year ADN students, quick question

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Any suggestions for those of us entering an ADN program in the fall as to what we could "get ahead" on (i.e. practice dosage calcs. vs. medical terminology) this summer???

I know, I know........ "enjoy your free time, you won't have any."

However, as someone who has TONS of free time at work all day, I've been looking at dosage calcs, and they're kinda foriegn without instruction.

So...............your thoughts on what could be done to make life a little easier in the fall, if thats even possible :stone. What did you wish you had done before entering? :chair:

PS: this is for students that are done ALL pre-reqs

Specializes in CCU, MICU, Tele, L&D.

a MUST is the book

Saunders Compehensive review for NCLEX-RN

and the first semester book would be - saunders Q&A for NCLEX-RN

i really wish that i would have known to get those books.

first semester - Q&A (nursing process)

2nd semester - Comp. (has dosage cal and med-surg)

Specializes in Medical, Surgical, Cardiac.
Any suggestions for those of us entering an ADN program in the fall as to what we could "get ahead" on (i.e. practice dosage calcs. vs. medical terminology) this summer???

I know, I know........ "enjoy your free time, you won't have any."

However, as someone who has TONS of free time at work all day, I've been looking at dosage calcs, and they're kinda foriegn without instruction.

So...............your thoughts on what could be done to make life a little easier in the fall, if thats even possible :stone. What did you wish you had done before entering? :chair:

PS: this is for students that are done ALL pre-reqs

As others have said, get your life in order. Dr.'s appt, dentist, get the car tuned up and ready, get the house in order, make sure all of your paperwork is in order (BCLS, TB, immunizations, physical, insurance) etc.......

As for books or other study materials, find out what your fundamentals book is and get it. If you have no background you will definitely be grateful that you at least looked over the material, also if you don't have a medical background a med terminology book would probably help you out. If your school is like most you will have a basic math/med test, at my school they gave us a list of required book at our orientation (beginning of the summer), the Med Math book was on the list. If you are one who has trouble with math, practice will make you feel a lot more confident going into it (thankfully I am a math tutor and love math so that was not an issue :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle ). If you are looking for a fun book about nursing that will give you a bit of insight as to what to expect check out "How to Survive and Maybe Even Love Nursing School!" this link has a sample for you to check out. http://www.fadavis.com/related_resources/7_1666_1.pdf

This is a very fun book with a load of useful stuff that you won't get in orientation.

Finally give yourself a minute to pat yourself on the back for getting into nursing school. Getting in was tough, staying in is tougher. That being said believe in yourself and know that you're only a first year nursing student for one year...... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Oh yeah one other thing:

Good Luck and Congratulations :balloons: :biggringi :smiley_aa :yeah: :yeah:

Thanks to everyone for all your helpful tips for those of us entering this fall!!

I, as well as others reading this will make good use of all your advice!! :)

Thanks to everyone for all your helpful tips for those of us entering this fall!!

I, as well as others reading this will make good use of all your advice!! :)

Hi Sheri, it is Lisa, from your Microbiology class last semester. I was going to tell you I know where 2 Uniform/Scrub shops are. One is on Hwy 9 in Roswell. We received our packet of information and it gave us the specifics on our uniforms, so I went ahead and purchased mine. There is also a shop in Gainesville that gives a 15% discount to students. Even though I don't have my NGCSU ID yet, they gave it me with my Georgia Perimeter ID. That saved me a little bit. Like someone else mentioned, I tried on tons of different shoes until I found a pair that were comfortable. Let me know if you want specific directions to either shop. I'm not sure if the one in Roswell gives a discount to students or not.

I also bought the workbook, Math & Meds for nurses, and have been practicing that. I may buy the one others have mentioned on here, calculate with confidence. I don't want to get out of the habit of studying, and like you, I have plenty of time at work to do it. The workbook I'm using now has a lot of abbreviations that are used when administering meds, so I'm trying to learn those.

Our syllabus and book list are not available yet, so I can't get a head start there. :uhoh3: I'm like you - I want to get a headstart on everything.

Take care,

Lisa

Specializes in CV Surgery Step-down.

I wouldn't do anything but enjoy my free time in the summer. It will be a long time 'till you get any sort of a break. Enjoy your friends and family. Start now to eat right, excercise and take care of yourself. Establish good health habits now 'cause when you hit the ground running, you tend to let your body go by the wayside. You'll be less likely to completely ruin yourself with fast food, late night study munching, skipping meals and being a sloth if you've already commited yourself to keeping well. This spoken from a midnight snackin', meal skippin', sloth imitatin', 15lb gainin' during school woman!:uhoh3:

I had 1 more semester to wait until my nursing program started, so I took a medical terminology class...

If your college has a good program like mine does, medical terminology wasn't necessary--nor was re-studying A&P. We went over it again in class. HOWEVER, I did get a PDA and installed the Davis Drug Guide and Tabers Dictionary--totally helped with time management (instead of flipping through pages and pages).

Any chance you get, make sure to exercise as much as possible. Run, bike, swim, yoga, hike, and eat well.

I just graduated...it's been bittersweet...I've gained some amazing friends and learned a lot about myself and my limits. Don't take your loved ones for granted--visit them as much as possible--they'll bring you back down to earth.

And yes, you do have to sacrifice a lot of time, but during nursing school I took countless amounts of snowboarding trips to Lake Tahoe, took a trip to Colorado (fortunately, my in-laws paid for it), hiked 80 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail during spring break, went on lots of camping trips (affordable), and had those days off where I could hang out with my mom!

Nursing school isn't the end of a social life--just use your time wisely.

Specializes in critical care; community health; psych.
I wouldn't do anything but enjoy my free time in the summer. It will be a long time 'till you get any sort of a break. Enjoy your friends and family. Start now to eat right, excercise and take care of yourself. Establish good health habits now 'cause when you hit the ground running, you tend to let your body go by the wayside. You'll be less likely to completely ruin yourself with fast food, late night study munching, skipping meals and being a sloth if you've already commited yourself to keeping well. This spoken from a midnight snackin', meal skippin', sloth imitatin', 15lb gainin' during school woman!:uhoh3:

Nodding head in total agreement. The body is the first casualty of NS.

i had 1 more semester to wait until my nursing program started, so i took a medical terminology class...

if your college has a good program like mine does, medical terminology wasn't necessary--nor was re-studying a&p. we went over it again in class. however, i did get a pda and installed the davis drug guide and tabers dictionary--totally helped with time management (instead of flipping through pages and pages).

[color=olive]thanks,

would others who have had clinicals recomend a pda and if so any brand, type, price range suggestions? i am a total pda novice.

I just bought the Palm.....Tungsten E . Love it, I went with the cheaper one to see if I will use in my up coming 2nd year. I figure I won't freak if it gets lost, and if I find I use it, I can always up-grade when I start getting a pay check. I checked them all out and found it to be by far the most for the least money..bought it through 'skyscape.com' I bought the constellation and tabers. I bought them on a memory card. It was really easy...........Advice, chill out and if you have a family, think about finding a good crock pot cook book. You can read stuff now, but you'll just have to read it again later, just my opinion.:)

+ Add a Comment