Should I go for my BSN?

Nurses Career Support

Published

I am going to be attending college this fall and i'm pretty sure I want to major in nursing. The college i'm supposed to go to only offers a BSN in nursing and I wanted to know what the difference is in getting your BSN. Are there more job oppurtunities? Is the pay higher? Can I be a nurse in the Critical Care Unit or the Emergency Room? What jobs can I get with the BSN that I couldn't get with the 2 year degree? Thanks!

Specializes in PeriOp, ICU, PICU, NICU.
I am going to be attending college this fall and i'm pretty sure I want to major in nursing. The college i'm supposed to go to only offers a BSN in nursing and I wanted to know what the difference is in getting your BSN. Are there more job oppurtunities? Is the pay higher? Can I be a nurse in the Critical Care Unit or the Emergency Room? What jobs can I get with the BSN that I couldn't get with the 2 year degree? Thanks!

Not much difference in pay, if any.

Everything depends on location. You have more mgmt opportunities. :)

Would I be better off to consider a 2 year registered nursing program since there isn't much difference in the oppurtunities and pay. Could I still be a Critical Care Unit Nurse with the 2 year program? Thanks!

Specializes in PeriOp, ICU, PICU, NICU.
Would I be better off to consider a 2 year registered nursing program since there isn't much difference in the oppurtunities and pay. Could I still be a Critical Care Unit Nurse with the 2 year program? Thanks!

You could get your ADN first, get a job and continue with your BSN. If you plan to get your BSN, you could also just go straight for it. It all depends what you want. Both ADN and BSN must pass the same exam.

I want my BSN but am pursuing my ADN first and continuing while working as an RN.

I think either or is fine IMO. :)

Specializes in Med-Surg, Trauma, Ortho, Neuro, Cardiac.

The BSN gets you jobs in management, research, teaching, pharmaceutical companies, admission to masters programs and other areas. At first you will enter the workforce on equal footing with those with a two-year degree. The BSN provides an excellent foundation for future opportunities. Who knows what you'll be doing 20 years from now and the BSN might serve you well.

Specializes in Anesthesia.

I think if you have all the prereqs for the BSN program....including english/histor etc....you should go for the BSN if you just have the basics for the ADN program that might be the best option. Both programs actually usually take 2 years to complete because most RN programs make you take all your prereqs before being accepted. There in no real differences in job opportunities after you graduate with your ADN or BSN, but you will have more opportunities in the future with a BSN.

I was just thinking about going foward with my bsn also. I can't seem to find a list of prereqs anywhere. I will be starting my associates August of 2006. I have most all of my prereqs plus my classes that I have to take with my RN done. I was thinking of just going ahead and taking the classes needed for my bsn while I wait for classes to start. Could anyone give me a rough idea of the classes needed to work up to then bsn?

thanks,

karen

Specializes in Anesthesia.

I received my BSN from Univ of Tx in Tyler, Texas.....Here is the link to their BSN degree plan it should be fairly similar but each university is going to have some minor differences.

http://www.uttyler.edu/nursing/bsn.htm#Four%20Year%20Generic

Specializes in LDRP; Education.
The BSN gets you jobs in management, research, teaching, pharmaceutical companies, admission to masters programs and other areas. At first you will enter the workforce on equal footing with those with a two-year degree. The BSN provides an excellent foundation for future opportunities. Who knows what you'll be doing 20 years from now and the BSN might serve you well.

Ditto.

I look at it also as not only an investment but also an insurance policy. When the day comes that you physically can no longer do staff nursing, the BSN will allow you many more options to work in nursing but in a less physically demanding role.

Specializes in Psychiatry.
Who knows what you'll be doing 20 years from now and the BSN might serve you well.

Excellent point, Tweety!!:p

Specializes in ED.

I agree with what has been said about a BSN being good for the future, research and managment. The pay is usually the same for an ADN and BSN staff nurse. However, I should tell you that many places I have interviewed with told me they are only hiring BSN nurses for any position from now on, so that's something to think about.

In many school districts and states, in order to be a school nurse, you must have a BSN. And there is much more to school nursing, these days, besides bandaides and sprained wrists. Also there are certain aspects of public health nursing that require a BSN. And do not forget military service. While one can work in these areas, without a BSN, it is much perferred and in some instances required.

Grannynurse:balloons:

+ Add a Comment