Very Sad and Confused RN. Dont know what to do!

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in ED, LTC, ICU.

Ive been a nurse for two years and have always worked in the ER. I worked as a tech previously. Ive just come to that point where i believe i need a change. I work in comunity hospital ER that is not that busy so its not like the work is overwhelming.I just want to get away from the ER and my hospital for now and do something else. I dont feel like i belong somedays and maybe that is what it is. I inteviewed for an "IMC floor" and i did not like it. I guess it was basically tele and im not used to the tele routine so im going to refuse the job. I feel so confused and worried. A lot of people say that nurses who work on the floor sometimes would like to upgrade to the ER and its uncommon that nurses would like to leave the ER and go to another field like IMC or tele. Im so confused..i Need advice. I feel like a faliure......

Why are you failure, because you want out? There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and it's great that you recognize that fact before you burn out totally, which is what happened to me. And the great thing about nursing is that there are SO many fields to choose from. I jumped ship entirely and went into home health last year, and I absolutely love it. There are fields with pt contact and little or no pt contact. You could even be a rep for a medical supply company! Don't feel like a failure, because you are not, and don't get discouraged. Broaden your search for a job and take chances. If you don't like something then you can choose something else.

Oh............and :wlcmggrp:to our group!

Tazzi is right - I left a rural hospital where I did a bit of everything for 9 years . . ER, OB, med/surg, OR (well, just the baby nurse for cesareans), etc.

I worked in a big city ER for awhile - didn't fit (many reasons but one was the 70 mile commute). Now I am working in Hospice and love it. (Like home health you get more patient contact).

I am also returning to school to get my public health certificate through an RN to BSN program at a local university. So part time works well for me. Plus I am a big believer in raising my own children and won't use day care so I love that I can be with my son and daughter more.

Nursing is a big wild world - don't feel bad about wanting a change.

And I welcome you to allnurses too!! :grpwlcm:

Maybe you feel kind of lost right now because you're in limbo...but I will bet that as soon as you get a new position, you will start to feel better. Maybe write a list of what you like and dont like and see if that leads you in any direction...

You're not a failure because you are questioning your choices. You'd be a failure if no questions were ever asked!

Be easy on yourself and fiure out what interests you. And you don't need to make a decision tomorrow.

And hi!

Specializes in HomeHealth / geriatrics.

Do not call yourself a failure , technically your a success because you realize that you are not happy and have the courage to change your life for the better , alot of people struggle with that there whole lifes. Your not the only one who has gone through this , keep your head up and just look into other options !!!

Good Luck :yeah:

Specializes in Flight, ER, Transport, ICU/Critical Care.

I think it is very normal to be unsettled when contemplating change.

Ease up on yourself and focus on narrowing what you need.

I always make a list - note the important stuff. Pro (+) and Con (-). Sometimes that alone will help to clarify your choices/options. But, no matter how good the "list" may look - trust any "gut feeling" that you have as well. IF something does not feel right - well, it may not be.

Like others (Hi, Tazzi!) I got a bit burned out in the ED. Don't listen to the "nobody moves out of the ER" message - not realistic. I think that the real strength of a great ED nurse is that they can adapt (and succeed) in most any area.

Example - I found that I liked the ICU more than I expected - sure, there was an adjustment period - but, once I had the routine, I was able to focus on the challenge (lots of new stuff to learn, focused on the depth of the necessary knowledge specific to critically ill patients).

For me the end was this - I took a bit of time off. I was able to focus on what I wanted in ideal position. I narrowed what I loved, liked and just tolerated in a position. I considered a return to school -- law vs. CRNA etc. I think this "time out" was valuable. I considered my life - family, husband, community, church - and really thought about the where, how, when and why of what I valued. I committed to spending my time and resources to that which replenished me. For me the key issues in a position came to:

1. Respect

2. Challenge

3. Pride

4. Schedule

5. Money

6. Advancement/Opportunity

At the end of the day - it is a job. I am more than any job, but a job that does not enrich your life is very draining. Nursing is a career where who you are matters - it is impossible to isolate you (person) from you (nurse). I'm not trying to say that my "job" is perfect (it is not!) - but, I have found a level of satisfaction in my work that works for me and my life.

I currently work rotor wing flight. Sure, it may not be for everyone and it can be tough at times (all jobs are - they just differ in how). In my case, I knew that I loved being a paramedic ($ was a problem) - the autonomy, diversity, limited time of patient contact, ability to intervene in a critical presentation, the variety (neonate to elderly & medical, cardiac and often just bizarre). I knew that nurses worked along side paramedics in transport so I went in that direction. I could work in an area I loved and be paid as a nurse with an more advanced scope of practice - so transport was it for me. I have found what I love and if/when I find that I do not enjoy what I do - I will do something else. I have a choice.

Remember, that you have a choice.

Having choices is everything. The real blessing and strength of nursing is the ability to CHOOSE. Take some time and choose. Do what is right for you - right now. Sure, that may change over time - but, remember that with change comes opportunity.

Job shadow if there are areas that interest you. Look at support fields (sales, education, etc). Nursing gives your options - just take some time and put the effort into choosing the best one for you.

Good Luck.

;)

What a well thought out and inspiring post!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it

Specializes in Telemetry.

You're not a failure! Don't be afraid to try out new areas...you may be surprised. Also, liking who you work with makes a huge difference in your job enjoyment. You may end up loving the other nurses in the telemetry unit, and with your ER experience, you'll fit in well. Whatever you decide, though, I just wanted to wish you luck.

It sounds to me like you already have this figured out...after all nurses are good at fixing things so this is to be expected.

You've decided it's time for change and thats great! You should be proud that you've identified as much. I think the average person would just suck it up and muddle through...but not you. So bravo...

I can't tell you which way to go but I would suggest a few PDO's and check out the unit....ICU. If thats not your spot don't worry, the answer will come to you in time. Hold on! :nuke:

Specializes in ER, OR, MICU.

I was in your shoes quite a few years ago...

I worked in the ER with guaranteed trauma that was noteworthy and newsworthy. I knew I couldnt goto a floor because bedside was not for me. I decided to goto the OR...BEST decision I have ever made.

It is more technical with limited patient interaction. It is also fast paced like an ER but instead of stabilizing the patient, you are stabilizing the surgeon LOL. Anyway, I realized from working in the OR that I wanted to definitely become a CRNA so I had to work in ICU, which I did. Now, I am a SRNA.

The point of my story is, nursing is a wonderful career that allows you to change positions in such a way that is totally acceptable. I don't think being tired of doing something is a failure...it just means you have lost interest in it. There are soooo many options in nursing whether academic, administrative, clinical, legal, and entrepreneural. Take your time in learning what is right for you. I did and now I am extremely happy with the choices I have made.

Good luck!

+ Add a Comment