Quick Question: when to put a patient on neutropenic precautions?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Med-Surg, Trauma, Ortho, Neuro, Cardiac.

I know this is lazy, but google didn't help me at first glance, and I'm at work and kind of busy. Can someone steer to a site that let's one know when to put a patient on neutropenic precautions. Dayshift isolated a patient and I don't agree with them, but need to print out something for when they arrive.

What does your institution do?

Thanks!!

Specializes in Med-surg; OB/Well baby; pulmonology; RTS.

I believe we place a patient on neutropenic precautions when their granulocytes are

Hope this helps some anyway;)

I copied this from Walter Reeds policy (Google search)

Don't know much about this myself.

4.6 Neutropenic Precautions:

I. General: Neutropenic Precautions are used for patients who are immunosuppressed with a total count of PMNs and band forms of 1000/cu mm or less who have a decreased ability to resist infection. Bone marrow transplant patients and acute leukemic patients are more profoundly neutropenic for a longer period of time than other immunosuppressed patients and so are at higher risk of acquiring nosocomial infections.

II Specific

A. A private room is strongly preferred, and is required for bone marrow transplant patients and acute leukemics

B. Special air handling and ventilation are not necessary. The door will be kept closed for transplant patients and acute leukemics.

C. Patients are not limited to their rooms but are encouraged to avoid crowded areas.

D. Patients may choose to wear a surgical mask when outside their room but this is not required

E. A white Neutropenic Precautions sign is placed on the door of the room.

F. Staff will be diligent about performing hand hygiene BEFORE entering the room as well as at other times.

G. PPE will be used as required by Standard Precautions.

H. A staff member or visitor with a respiratory infection, GI infection or a skin rash will not see or care for the patient.

G. Live plants or flowers will not be kept in the patient room

Specializes in Med-Surg, Trauma, Ortho, Neuro, Cardiac.
Specializes in Oncology/Haemetology/HIV.

Ditto:

An ANC (absolute neutrophil count) less than 1000 - 1500, depending on facility.

Also, if the patient has a slightly higher ANC, but also has a significant number of blasts showing up in the count.

And I remember that dietary should not bring fresh fruit or vegatables (or family members either).

http://www.guideline.gov

this site has recommended guidelines for all sorts of things

+ Add a Comment