Is nursing really this cutthroat?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hi All,

I am new to this forum. I am leaving a PhD program and a very stuffy academic setting to pursue a career (not job) in nursing. I could go to medical school (I have minimal family obligations right now and the grades to get in) HOWEVER, I have specifically chosen nursing with great care because I really admire and cherish the nursing model to patient care. I want to be a part of a community of professionals that work tirelessly for their patients. This brings me to my question...I am leaving academia (only in part) because of the cutthroat nature of academics. There is often very little collaboration and teamwork...everyone is out for themselves. While I am as type-A personality as it gets, I really like working and learning from others and don't particularly care for this type of working environment (of course there will always be a few rotten apples).

I can't help but notice after looking through many of the forums here that there seems to be a LOT of bickering...ADN's vs. BSN's....PA's vs. NP's and so on and so on. I know sometimes people post in places like this to vent, but I am really wondering how representative the comments on these forums are of nursing overall.

I fully expect that there will be those who are always trying to one-up the next person, but, if you had to generalize, would you say that nursing is really a collaborative profession or are most people out for themselves?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Cheers,

Doug

Specializes in Acute Care Psych, DNP Student.

I don't think nursing is more collaborative than any other profession. I would go back to considering why you are leaving your PhD program.

Specializes in Hey I'm now an RN!!.

If I had to generalize, I would compare healthcare to any other profession. I say healthcare because I have worked in a hospital setting for 12 years, you see it all the way around from Md's, resident's, administration, na's, lpn's, rn's, housekeeping and right on down the line. It's just like any other field.

Teamwork is a big part of nursing. It has to be, you have to work with so many different aspects of care. So many different departments, companies, families depending on your choice of environment.

I just believe the difference is the fufillment you recieve of knowing you help make someones day that much better.

There are all different personality types in nursing, it can't really be generalized. Hopefully more often than not you will be able to say you love your job and bypass the rest of the garbage. It doesn't always exist but some does lurk just under the surface. But like I said, you will find that in any profession. Good luck you!

Have to agree with post #2.

Nursing is like any field. You can have wonderful co-workers and a lousy work environment. You can have co-workers from hades and great patients.

The nurses job can be wonderful. But I've worked with some great doctors who are very hands on and often have to reminded to delegate to their nurses.

If med school is an option and you are not looking to be wealthy, there are areas of medicine such as rehab, inner city health, working with NGO's that might be the type of medicine that you are cut out for.

Good Luck.

Specializes in Education, Acute, Med/Surg, Tele, etc.

Just like with any profession I would imagine...there are certain 'hot button' topics and a little bantering that goes on. I have learned to focus on my own personal goals and work as a team member whether or not my co-workers are. In essence...I am responsible for me and the patients I care for...not anyone else...so I do what I can as an individual RN and a team player RN to provide the best I can to my patients.

I have come into cutthroat situations, and basically I have weighed the situations carefully using my own goals as a basis to any choices I make. I quit my first job because the nurses there were horrible, mean, would sooner kick their own grandmothers in the teeth then change a bed or help a new nurse figure out where the supplies were. It did not fit into my goals of nursing...and therefore that environment was contraindicated!

Now, I have an awesome job as an agency nurse working mainly at this one local hospital that believes in teamwork and enjoying what you do! I am so happy going to work, and the general aire of the floor is cheery with all the smiling staff, and the atmosphere is light and healthy! I found my niche, and it falls within my own goals! Took a while, a few trials and errors...but wow, worth it (even in horrid jobs I learned so very much and what to look out for in choosing jobs or facilities).

Know yourself, know your personal goals and stand by them come what may. Yeah school can be cut throat...but I just bit my lip and learned as much as I could because that was part one of my goal of being a nurse...

Plus..LOL, I assumed that if I could deal with the catty nursing students and instructors...then dealing with angry pts, staff, and family members may be that much easier to deal with! LOL! (I honestly did, and learned from each confrontation on my communication skills...good time to learn it!).

Good luck to you!

Thanks for the responses. Multi, believe me I have given lots of thought to why I'm leaving my doctoral program. Like I said, a small part of the reason is that it is way too individual. We sit in our offices or at home all day and read books and conduct research that interests perhaps a handful of people in the world and rarely, if ever, impacts someone's life. That is the main reason why I'm leaving the PhD program.

I do understand it is difficult to generalize. I guess I didn't pose my question properly...sorry :) Let me ask it this way...

Are you happy as a nurse and excluding the bad apples that can ruin any barrel of any profession, would you do it over again if you had the choice?

General questions...I know. Forgive me in advance.

Thanks TriageRN! Great advise.

Just for reference...my PhD is in the humanities (literature)...stop snoring...just didn't want anyone to think it was medical related...

:)

Specializes in Hey I'm now an RN!!.

Well, if it's any help, it took me 12 years to realize nursing is where I needed to be. I sat and watched the drama's unfold and always thought to myself as well, "nope, not for me."

Then I came to the realization, I don't have to be like the others that gave me that bad taste. I know lots of wonderful nurses, why can't I be like them?

I love the feeling that I get when patient's eyes light up when they see me. I love when they feel that they can talk to me. Do I get patients that could care less whether I am there or not? Sure. LOL But it is fufilling and I know this is what I am meant to do. Always has been, I just got sidetracked.

People I work with have asked me why it has taken me so long to realize where I need to be...I say, "I just wanted to be sure before I made the commitment." I don't give specifics but it was apparently clear to everyone else but me. I love to do volunteer work and have always had a soft spot for those that need to be cared for, animals & humans!

I have just decided to dive in and do it, leave the rest of the nonsense behind, that doesn't have to do with me. Remember, it's not all the time and if your like me, the pro's outweigh the con's.

To be to the point, YES!!!!! it can be just that cutthroat. Nursing is a profession made up primarily of women, and being one, I can attest to the fact that women have their own dynamics in the workplace. Egos play a big role, as do the stresses most women face in the workplace from family stresses to overwork, not enough money, short staffing, etc. When you put a dozen or so together it can be a bit dicey to say the least. But, these things are present in any profession, but I find so much joy from taking care of my patients I can just let the rest of the stuff roll right off. Loving your profession to me is the most important thing. If you do, you will find everything else a minor inconvenience.

To be to the point, YES!!!!! it can be just that cutthroat. Nursing is a profession made up primarily of women, and being one, I can attest to the fact that women have their own dynamics in the workplace..

Hi Doug,

Sorry to hear your experience and that you are leaving the PHD program.

Back in the '70s, I took business courses and pre nursing courses at college.

I finished the BS in Management and the pre nursing (2yrs) with

excellent grades. I had kept in touch with the Dean of Nursing throughout.

When it came time to take the nursing clinical I had to meet with

the Dean (a PHD). I explained I wanted to work at the bedside,

but had plans to work on computers and computer programs for

nurses. My business profs had encouraged me to pursue this,

and I liked the idea. There was no internet, laptops, or pc's then.

She threw me out of the office stating I was not cut out for nursing.

She laughed (literally) at the thought of nurses using computers.

She refused to listen to my business profs or the Dean of Business

who tried to advocate for me.

I attended a 2 year Diploma program and enjoyed over 20 years

working in nursing.

I do not have a BSN, will never get one. What good is a string of

initials after your name if you are narrow minded? My last statement

reflects my feeling for this Dean of Nursing. Its individuals like

this who hold nursing and potential nurses back.

If you feel you can make a difference, please consider finishing the

program.

Nursing needs strong forward thinking leaders, not egocentric individuals

who are entirely clueless, but love the big administrative paycheck.

Specializes in MICU, neuro, orthotrauma.
Thanks for the responses. Multi, believe me I have given lots of thought to why I'm leaving my doctoral program. Like I said, a small part of the reason is that it is way too individual. We sit in our offices or at home all day and read books and conduct research that interests perhaps a handful of people in the world and rarely, if ever, impacts someone's life. That is the main reason why I'm leaving the PhD program.

I do understand it is difficult to generalize. I guess I didn't pose my question properly...sorry :) Let me ask it this way...

Are you happy as a nurse and excluding the bad apples that can ruin any barrel of any profession, would you do it over again if you had the choice?

General questions...I know. Forgive me in advance.

Yes, I am happy as a nurse, despite all of the shortcomings of nursing, because I can make a positive impact in someone's life each day I work. Sometimes I feel that multiple patients I've helped that day were really affected by my efforts. Although there are no accolades for my work, the personal satisfaction is very high for me. I was bored to tears at a desk, and was actually crappy at my job, because I didn;t see the tangible need for ME. And in nursing, there is no escaping the tangible need for my presense.

I think you would probably enjoy inner city hospital work, especially a teaching facility that treats those who can not otherwise afford care. The reward is exponential. The dysfunction in family is also very high as well, but this is the best type of place to make a difference.

Specializes in Med-Surg, Trauma, Ortho, Neuro, Cardiac.

The message board tends to slant towards the negative experiences nurses. While it's wise to consider these experiences, don't judge the profession by a message board.

I don't believe nursing is cut-throat, but I'm not sure what you mean. I certainly don't buy into the idea that it's cut-throat because it's a female domonated profession.

Yes, there are negative catty bullying controlling lazy bossy cut throat nurses.

Yes there are positiving, caring, intelligent, hard working, loving patient advocates, who are team players, struggling to make it in environment where staffing is short, patients are demanding, people are suing and bugets are cut.

+ Add a Comment