I've Had it! *Long*

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Onco, palliative care, PCU, HH, hospice.

I've posted about my issues with work before but for those who don't know, I've been working on a medical tele unit since I graduated about 10 months ago and the past few months work has gone down hill, short staffing, constant politics, impossible patients and families, unsupportive administration have taken their toll on me. I worked all weekend and I barely made it through, each day on my way home I cried from the frustration.:banghead::banghead:

I no longer feel like a good nurse, I feel more like an indentured servant. I have been miserable for a while but have tried to stay for various reasons, several of my co-workers are wonderful and I've become good friends with them, my family and friends have pressured me to stay at the hospital while I'm in school. They have the attitude that if I don't work in a hospital setting than I'm "not a nurse" :uhoh3:

I simply can't take it anymore, I love nursing, but I hate my job, I've applied at a state psychiatric facility because I've always loved psych and have been interested in it for quite a while, I've also applied at psych unit at a nearby medical hospital, and finally I've applied for a position at a reputable assisted living facility. The job I'm really wanting is at the state psych facility but who knows whether or not they'll want me.

A big part of me does feel like a failure for wanting to leave the hospital, anymore I just feel like a horrible nurse, I try my best but it's never enough.:( Oh well, hopefully one of the places I've applied at will take some interest in hiring me. Thanks for letting me vent, sorry for the long post :(

You come to the right place. You will be understood here.

My post:

https://allnurses.com/forums/f8/after-15-years-i-may-one-more-nurse-add-shortage-288298.html

I was pretty bad when I posted. I'm not as upset but pretty scared and confused. As for now, I have free time on my hands and I'm using it in response to my frustration.

:icon_hug: You are not...:aln:

Specializes in Med-Surg.

Not wanting to cont working in an environment that is not supportive and makes you doubt your skills is normal. There is nothing wrong with it. And it doesn't make you a "bad" nurse because you can't "handle" it. Some times shouldnt' be handled, like a hot flame. If this position is causing you that much stress, get out of it. Have coffee with your friends from that job, then you can really enjoy them.

Hey, do you and I work on the same unit? I feel the same way you do, save for your next choice of jobs...I want to stay in med-surg, but dont know what direction to take...but I do know I dont want to be on my station long term, I have been advised to 'give it a year'. I also struggle with the quitter vs working out the issues vs not wasting anymore time this is rediculous life is too short dilemma.

Anyway, you're not alone. Wish I could make up MY mind on what to do...

you see what has happened to us?

when we vent, i swear, we sound like a bunch of battered women/men.

dejected, worthless, hopeless, pitiful beings that feel incapable of doing, being anything of value.

and i'm not totally sure if it's a result of being abused, or, if it's a 'desired outcome' from tptb...

you know, keep us under their thumb?

i don't know anymore.

either way, medical, surely you know the demands are impossible...

if we as nurses, cannot get mgmt to change their expectations, we can consciously, recognize they are the ones w/the warped views-

and is no reflection on our performance.

please, do not berate yourself.

get good and angry...how dare they!!

how dare they treat us like crap!

how dare they treat our pts with such little regard!

and just.don't.take.it.

move on, move forward.

some day, they'll get it...

and they'll get it good.

wishing you the best.:icon_hug:

leslie

Specializes in Nursing Home ,Dementia Care,Neurology..

What does 'tptb' mean ?

Specializes in Med-Surg.
What does 'tptb' mean ?

The Powers That Be

You are not a failure!!! Mgmt has unreal expectations for nursing staff. I know, as I was in your shoes just a few weeks ago.

As far as not being a "real" nurse, just because you are not working in a hospital, is ridiculous. If you interest is in psych...go for it!!!

Wish you the best of everything...

12 hour plus workdays

inadequate time to eat and take bathroom breaks

constant monitoring by superiors

abused by the local citizens.

A day on my unit, no the description of a 17th century almshouse by a history professor at the local university.

HUGS!! For what its worth - you are not alone..

Specializes in Onco, palliative care, PCU, HH, hospice.

Thanks everybody, it is nice to know I'm not alone, I really appreciate the support. The thing is, there are good nights where I feel like I'm making a difference, and I enjoy learning about the various disease processes, but the thing is, anymore there are many, many more bad nights than good.

I don't know why I feel so confused about wanting to leave, I know that for my own psychological health that I need to leave, but there's always that nagging fear that the next place I go could be just as bad or even worse, how do I negate that fear?

I don't know why I feel so confused about wanting to leave, I know that for my own psychological health that I need to leave, but there's always that nagging fear that the next place I go could be just as bad or even worse, how do I negate that fear?

do your own personal research on the facility.

read their mission/philosophy statements.

ask a lot of questions on the interview-

including turnover of staff, ratios and resources.

make your most educated decision.

my fingers are crossed for you!

leslie

+ Add a Comment