I just can't do it....

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Well, I have decided that nursing just isn't for me. At least, not right now anyway. I've learned so much here from everyone and being a volunteer has taught me a lot. So much, that I am pretty sure... nursing is just not for me. My anxiety level hits an all time high, each and every time I step foot in the hospital. And that's just volunteer work. I can't imagine what I would be like as an RN.

I am afraid of what everyone will think of me (family/friends)... so far they've been pretty supportive. But who knows what they are thinking. I guess it's better to do it now, than after 2 more yrs of the program.

I want to thank everyone for all of your wonderful words of wisdom. My children need me now, my husband needs me now, and I really just want to be home, with them.

My courses that I've taken are good for 10 yrs. So, if I change my mind once our youngest is in school all day, I can still go back. But for now, I'm just going to be with my kids.

I'll keep sneaking around here, now and then... but it's been kind of hard lately (more sad than anything), so, it might be a while.

Thanks again everyone. Good luck with all you do!

Jennifer

Specializes in LTC , SDC and MDS certified (3.0).

Good for you!! It sounds like you did some soul searching before you made your decision. Good luck and bless you and you family

Specializes in LTC, assisted living, med-surg, psych.

This is a tough profession, even for those of us who can't imagine doing anything else. You made a hard decision, but a good one; perhaps someday you'll come back to the "fold" refreshed and ready to tackle it. Or not. Either way, you've learned a great deal that will serve you well throughout life.

We wish you well. Please don't be a stranger though.......you'll always be welcome here.

Specializes in Adult Stem Cell/Oncology.

May I ask what you've seen/experienced at the hospital that makes you anxious? I just recently started volunteering and one of the most upsetting things I've seen was a patient (only about 8 months old) that had a GI tube, oxygen via a nasal cannula, and about six other tubes coming out of her. I just sat there and held her/played with her for over an hour....later I found out that her parents aren't around much and that it's great for her to get TLC from the volunteers!

A few minutes after this, I encountered a screaming 8 week old baby who only weighed about 8 pounds because her birth mother did drugs!

Oh, and let's not forget the other 8 week old baby with pneumonia who was on Vancomycin of all things!!!

And this all happened during one shift! I was really upset but I was so glad I was there to comfort these babies and help the nurses out a little...

I wasn't sure I would be able to handle anything like this, but apparently I'm a lot stronger than I thought I was.... and so are you, I'm sure!!!

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best!!! :redpinkhe

May I ask what you've seen/experienced at the hospital that makes you anxious? I just recently started volunteering and one of the most upsetting things I've seen was a patient (only about 8 months old) that had a GI tube, oxygen via a nasal cannula, and about six other tubes coming out of her. I just sat there and held her/played with her for over an hour....later I found out that her parents aren't around much and that it's great for her to get TLC from the volunteers!

A few minutes after this, I encountered a screaming 8 week old baby who only weighed about 8 pounds because her birth mother did drugs!

Oh, and let's not forget the other 8 week old baby with pneumonia who was on Vancomycin of all things!!!

And this all happened during one shift! I was really upset but I was so glad I was there to comfort these babies and help the nurses out a little...

I wasn't sure I would be able to handle anything like this, but apparently I'm a lot stronger than I thought I was.... and so are you, I'm sure!!!

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best!!! :redpinkhe

You know, it's not so much what I've seen or experienced that has me act like a fumbling idiot. (I saw a lot too... let me tell ya)...

It's just, I was a nervous wreck around the other nurses and doctors. Kinda like that mess of a girl with the glasses that fall off her nose and her books and papers are always falling on the ground... KWIM?

Sometimes I let my nerves get the better of me. I'm afraid if I tried to start an IV, I'd shake so bad that it would be a terrible fright. I know it would take practice and more and more confidence, but I just see myself as getting so nervous that something wrong would be bound to happen.

I also tend to be a space case at times. I can't remember what I ate for lunch... I can only imagine trying to remember what 8 different patients need. (I got fired as a waitress for forgetting just about everything)....

NICU was my dream. And I might still try again someday... maybe even as an NST or CNA for now... who knows.

All I know, is that for the first time in 3 years, I've been able to not say..."How in the world am I going to do this with 3 kids?" And that goes for everything... from my classes, to their schools, to cleaning out a closet... I just feel like a huge load has been taken off of my shoulders. I feel like I can relax around my kids and just "be" with them. Not panic about how it's all going to get done.

I'd hate to start school next fall only to drop in the spring... taking up a spot for someone else who truly is ready to do this.

I'm only 34 (haha, laughing slightly)... I've got plenty of time to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life.

Thanks for asking. Good luck to you too! Volunteering is an amazing experience. I have been doing it for over 2 yrs now and I still do love it.

Specializes in Adult Stem Cell/Oncology.

34 is not old at all! :wink2: You should definitely follow your heart, and if you're too overwhelmed to go into nursing right now, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that! It's not like you can't go back to it someday! It sounds like you're a very loving mom and your children are very lucky to have you!!! All the best to you and your family! :redbeathe

34 is not old at all! :wink2: You should definitely follow your heart, and if you're too overwhelmed to go into nursing right now, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that! It's not like you can't go back to it someday! It sounds like you're a very loving mom and your children are very lucky to have you!!! All the best to you and your family! :redbeathe

Thank you. You just made my day!

glad that you found what you were looking for.

I wish you the best of luck with everything in your life.

Specializes in ER, PACU, Med-Surg, Hospice, LTC.

HI! Please don't worry what other will think. You need to put YOU first!

I think it is awesome that you want to spend time with your kids. They are only young once....Nursing will always be there.

Please stay in touch and let us know how things are going!!

:heartbeat

Specializes in ER/ICU/Dialysis.

It sounds like you have made the right decision. You have to follow your heart. Life is too short to be miserable and anxious all of the time. Staying would only take away from the quality of time spent with your family, as you would be bringing your stresses home. This is not fair to you or your family. And as others have said, children grow up fast.

Good for you for making this otherwise, difficult decision. Your family will thank you for it.

I am a firm believer that when one door closes, another opens.

Good luck to you and your family. They are lucky to have you.:yeah:

Specializes in Community Health, Med-Surg, Home Health.

Ultimately, you have to make the decision that is right for you. For what it is worth, though, most of us had the same feelings, and made it through to be successful nurses. You have time, yet and it is best that you did do volunteer work to be the fly on the wall to see some of the insides of the health profession. Good luck in your endeavors and, yes, drop in and say hello. You are still welcome here!

your children are extremely fortunate that you are able to put them first. follow your heart, and you welcome back anytime! now, go enjoy your kids! :flwrhrts:

+ Add a Comment