CNA: Krappy attitude

Nursing Students CNA/MA

Published

Hi all,

I had a call for a CNA class interview today. CNA certificate is a requirement for the RN school, so I gotta do it, plus, I think working as a CNA will def help me with experience for the school.

The lady whom I was supposed to call to set up an interview was acting as if I am just one of the many people bothering her today. I got the impression during the conversation that CNA's are not really valued (at that particular healthcare facility), and that they are pretty much the "invisible" people. I think it is wrong because CNA's do a LOT of important things, and stuff that no one else would want to do.

I have an interview on Monday, so we will see. Maybe I should just forget about attitude, and what they think of their CNA's, and just take the class, pass the test, and find work somewhere else. I was planning on working as a CNA for a couple of months, or so... for experience.

In any way it will be a huge learning experience.

Do you think it's common that CNA's are treated as krap?

Specializes in Case mgmt., rehab, (CRRN), LTC & psych.

The people who are are the bottom of the interdisciplinary food chain are typically treated poorly and, unfortunately, this includes CNAs. Since many people associate being a CNA with cleaning poop and other so-called 'dirty work,' this job tends to be one with extremely low prestige. CNAs are enormously important to heathcare, but they tend to not be treated as such. Being an aide involves virtually no prestige, a lack of respect, pitiful pay, and the knowledge that you are replaceable. Some people might be offended by my comments, but I stand by them because I was once an aide.

I am an LVN and have never been rude to my CNAs, but many of my coworkers have self-esteem issues and, therefore, try to berate and belittle the aides to boost their own pitiful egos. A few of my nurse coworkers try to control every single aspect of the CNA's day, without consideration that the aide is a person with feelings. I value my CNAs and always thank them for their help, but countless people don't place a great deal of value on the aide's work.

My former director of staff development stated that CNAs were "undereducated and poor."

Specializes in Hospital Education Coordinator.

CNA's do a hard and valuable service. Some people like to be mean no matter who catches it. But not everyone is that way!

That is sad, and unfair. I will remember that when I start (hopefully) working as a CNA. Currently I work at a women's shelter, where most of my clients tried to go to these CNA classes, some failed, some never finished, some managed to finish, and currently working as CNA's. 99% of them have CD problems. I would say 80% of them would work until 1st paycheck, then go and get wasted, and lose their job.

I never wanted to be a CNA, and I don't know if it will be beneficial to my RN education; I could just get certified, and that would be enough. But I thought I might as well work and see the healthcare field "within" before starting school.

I had a pretty good life as a child and teengaer, was taken care of by my parents, never had to get a PT job and such. Not spoiled, just had what I needed. In my first year of college I decided to take a summer job as a housekeeper at a local hotel. That summer probably taught me more than anything else: not to think of someone as trash, just because they are poor and uneducated. Never look down on anybody because who knows, you might be that person tomorrow. Value and respect every profession, every job......Running up and down the stares in a Summer heat, vacuuming and scrubbing toilets, I saw housekeepers and other service personnel being treated like krap. I told myself I would never do that to anybody, because i have been in those people's shoes.

Specializes in Geriatric and now peds!!!!.

CNA's are a vital part of the healthcare team! I appreciate my CNA's and tell them thank you for their hard work at the end of the shift. I appreciate them and try to mentor them and encourage them to go on to nursing school. They have a hard job, that not too many folks would want to do.

Wendy

LPN

Because it's perceived (and frankly is, to some degree) as "unskilled" labor, some people devalue the CNA work.

Of course, if you're an adult patient sitting in a diaper of your own poop, you'd want to be cared for gently, thoroughly, and with compassion. The CNA role doesn't require much in the way of technical skill nor knowledge but it does require boatloads of sensitivity and compassion.

When I started my first professional job as an engineer, my mom passed on some advice she received from her mom:

"Find the people at the bottom of the ladder and treat them very, very well. They don't get it often and they deserve it. And, they can make your job much, much easier or much, much harder."

When I finally become a nurse, I intend to apply that principle to the CNAs, housekeeping folks, etc. I'd be willing to bet that my patient outcomes will be much the better for it...

I really agree with most of the comments about how cna's are treated. I am currently a RN, but I started off as a CNA. I see how some nurse's look down on the CNA's. It's seems that a nurse's job description suddenly change when they have a CNA to work with. I seen a nurse walk out of a patients room to look for a CNA to give a patient some water. I really value the CNA's I work with and appreciate what they do. Without them, my job would alot harder. My unit hold 18 beds and if we only have 1 CNA on the unit, I will help with making beds, taking vitals and baths because afterall, a CNA job description is still part of the nurses job description. We are all here for the same reason, to take care of the patient.

Your heart is definitely in the right place - I worked as a CNA in a hospital as I was on the waiting list and then as I was in the ADN program.

I have found people having both attitudes about CNAs - there have been those that have treated CNAs like dirt but then there are those nurses who have been in that position who, at times, will say how much they appreciate what you do for patients (or residents, if in LTC). I once had a husband of a patient who was quite a character - he asked me if CNA meant "can not adjust" but I responded by pausing for a minute and then telling him that I always thought of it more as a typo for the word CAN as CNAs CAN and do many important things.

I was a CNA on a med-surg floor at a hospital and I found that the experience has been helpful to me, both while I was in school and now, even though I am currently in LTC right now. I think it has helped me to be a better nurse and I do my best to show appreciation for the help I receive during the day - making sure to say please and thank you and asking for their feedback, etc. After all, CNAs are eyes and ears for the nurses, too.

If you are not sure exactly how you will feel about working as a CNA, perhaps you could consider just doing it on a part-time scale. There tend to be many openings for CNAs and you could maybe work EOW or a shift a week or something.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck!!

Hi Finderkeeper.

I work as an aide on a telemetry floor and 99% of the nurses treat me and the other aides well. There was one that was a real B---h. I figured this nurse had self esteem issues and tried to stay away from her as much as possible. She treated the nurses as equals and the aides as underlings. In other words-she had 2 faces.

I would never treat anyone like this. My mother always told me to never look your nose down on the drunk in the gutter but to give him/her a helping hand up.

You just have to find the right place to work. I would absolutely recommend hospital work especially if you are in school.

Best of luck to you!!!

Specializes in Community Health, Med-Surg, Home Health.

I have seen both ends of the spectrum, mostly, though, that aides were mistreated. Interestingly enough, it was very rare that I personally was mistreated. It may have been because I was able to assert myself and didn't take much crap (yeah, I had a mouth like a sailor when it was necessary and the door was closed with no witnesses).

What does make it difficult at times, is that while we can and should treat them with respect, the fact also is that the nurse does have more responsibility and accountability. I have also been on the side of the fence where I was treated rudely by one of the aides when I had to ask them to do their job. There should be a way to assist them without us being taken advantage of and also, speak to them with respect.

I say to carry yourself with pride and let them see that you are an articulate person that cares about what she does; that may mean alot. And, when you do become a nurse, acknowledge them as vital members of the health care team.

Specializes in orthopaedics.

just my opinion but, you might want to find another place to find to be a cna at.

cnas are valuable tools to any institution. yes there are some bad eggs that cause cnas to get a bad name. i was a cna for years and loved my job. i truly loved helping others and being useful.

everywhere there are going to be people that see cnas as someone to dump on and make do the dirty work. that is were you have to set your limits and be true to yourself. you will get great experience as a cna you will see things that will help you build your nursing career. its not all bad it truly is a good thing. best of luck.

Specializes in Cardiology, Oncology, Medsurge.

I too have been a CNA and when I am lucky as I was very lucky last week to have had an excellent efficient, follow up with every detail CNA...truely remarkable when your CNA does fine work. I wish every nurse I worked with shared the same view as my own!

+ Add a Comment