anyone hear of a Stool transfer?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

or transplant? I have a LTC patient with chronic c-diff. As soon as the Flagyl tx stoped starts with loose stools again. Already treated with Vanco. Doc also has him on Lactinex and yeast. Doc mentioned poss stool transplant? Any info on this. Sounded like taking tissue from a health colon and transplanting to pts. Any info on this would really help!

michelle

I work for a BUSY gastroenterology practice; and, as of yet; I have not heard of a bowel transplant. I'll ask my docs in the AM. Have they tried Questran with the patient? Maybe it's not a C diff colitis; but more? Has the pt been scoped? (colonoscopy) Just my 2 cents worth.

Dianna

oops! I did a little more research under c-diff and found some info. There's a few procedures used for it. One is a fecal enema. Basically they get donor tissue (good germs from a health colon) and insert them into the other pt. They can do this with a cononoscopy too. I'm also reading about probiotics. Their is a really interesting support group for pts with c-diff.

ps. I just wanted to get some info or the staff at the nursing home I work at. I just love learn about new and different treatments:)

FYI, albiet rare, small bowel transplants do happen.

http://www.uhn.ca/programs/transplant/smallbowel.htm

eww

A very dear coworker of mine has an 8 year old grandson that was born with gastroschesis (hope I spelled that somewhere close to correctly) and has had a bowel transplant. He is rejecting it. The docs have told them he is not a candidate for retransplantation of the bowel alone, so they will have to wait until his condition deteriorates enough so that they can put him on a liver/bowel transplant list. So they're basically waiting for him to get worse.

They have a website for him, I'll have to find a link for it.

Heather

Thanks for the responses! I have been reading alot of info on the subject. The procedure isn't really a transplant of actual intestine it's more like transfering the fecal bacteria to reestablish a normal flora..Who would of ever thought fecal germs were so great:eek: Thanks again!

Ummm, is it "donor" stool?

I'll echo the sentiments of Shandy....

Ewwwwwwww.

Specializes in MS Home Health.

Did they try to recolonize the bowel with yogurt? I have seen it work once on a home health client. I learned that in my masters program (major in nutrition).

OMG donor stool?????EEWWWWWWWW

renerian

But it's probably only 'the best' stool!

(couldn't resist!)

Man, you guy's are sick and wrong.

Specializes in Corrections, Psych, Med-Surg.

pc writes: "Man, you guy's are sick and wrong."

Now THERE's a really useful post (as well as being ungrammatical). With this and a totally pointless thread you started, you have now earned a place on my ignore list.

+ Add a Comment