Trying to become a nurse for 7 years

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Specializes in RN/Hematology/Oncology/Long-termcare/SNF.

Hi All,

I'm new to this. I'm 42. I'm looking to share hopes and dreams of becoming nurse while trying to jump over many obstacle.

Anyone who has failed a semester or two and is still trying let me know.

Thanks

Cissy

Specializes in Telemetry.

Pick yourself up and find another school. I have known students who got kicked out of three nursing colleges and they are nurses today. Apply at another school but use this theory: DON'T ASK DONT TELL! You will be fine.

Specializes in ICU, hospice, MS/tele, ED, corrections.

I can relate with the OP! While I diverged and went into a different career, I first decided I wanted to be a nurse I think 10 years ago! My career as a counselor was fulfilling in many ways, and gave me a sense of accomplishment, but now that I'm back pursuing my dream of becoming a nurse, it doesn't seem to account for much. I was recently failed out of clinicals in the second quarter of an LPN program. Very devastating for me. But, I am trying to remember to not give up! I guess, looking at the OP's post, it's clear to me that you should definitely keep trying! Wish it were so easy to say the same thing to myself...but, I guess that's why I need other people to encourage me, too. Best of luck to you!

Hi Kaplan,

I'm so new at this. I hope I'm replying to you. Yes, I am back in the program only it is the LPN program. I want to see if this goes through before I write anymore.

Hi Kaplan,

Oh, yes, I have picked myself up. I am currently in an LPN program at this same college. I have told myself that I won't give up even if I missed passing two semester in two different attempts at becoming an RN.

Even though I had to back and go into an LPN program. I just hold my head up and keep moving forward. You know, it is still so hard.

I am so new to this post board. Yes, you won't believe how much I have gone through to become a nurse. The sad part is that I look around at work and there is not one nurse that I can see that enjoys it. I cannot let this stop me. I will never know the good I can do unless I see this through. It is soooo hard though. People at work must wonder, what is up with this girl? She has been in two nursing programs and failed two different semesters and now she is in the LPN program. Well, at least this is what I think they might be thinking. However, I just tell myself I'm a work in progress. Oh, and the instructors at my school mus think I am crazy to keep at this so many times. But I have learned so much and the whole nursing process is actually beginning to make sense to me. Gotta go! my husband is waiting for me. Take care.

trust me i've been there. i am 49 years old and finished 2nd semester in december, i was dropped from clinical portion the day before the semester ended. long story. tried to get into another school but was too late will be applying again to both this summer. and dealing with dean at same time to be able to just do clinicals because they did let test and i scored 2 a's and 2 b's in theory. but they say i have to repeat all. i wont go back till next spring and i will be 50 then. i'd love to share info with you. if you'd like to chat or email. let me know and i will post my email. it was a rough road but i wont go into detail here, but i know what your going through.

Believe me, I know exactly how you feel! I had to work full/time while going to Nursing School, a leave of absence was not possible. Twice, I had to withdraw from a semester, because work interfered. I had to wait, reapply, one time, I had to wait 2 semesters to get back in. My second year, I did part/time, theory in the fall, and clinicals in the spring. Took me 5 years, but I did graduate at 51 years old.

Keep at it! You'll do it!

Asia :wink2:

Thanks so much, I too will probably graduate then at about age 51.

Specializes in Pediatrics.
Apply at another school but use this theory: DON'T ASK DONT TELL! You will be fine.

I hate to say this, but I agree with this theory. Of course, if you fail to provide the failing transcripts, you basically are starting from scratch (you can't pick and choose which courses show up on your transcripts for transfer credit). I'm not sure where you live, but where I work (not just my school, but the vicinity) you would NOT get into a nursing program if you have failed out of one nursing school, let alone two. Think about it: why would a nursing program give up a seat for someone who has already proven them self to be unsuccessful, when there are so many other applicants. I'm not saying this to sound mean, but I want you to think of it from our perspective. Have you sat down and taken a long hard look at where you went wrong both times! I know it's hard for a lot of students to accept this, but not everyone is cut out to be an RN. So yeah, you'd basically need to go in there and not say a word, and if you really want this, you'll need to start from the beginning.

Or, you could just keep on doing what you are doing (the LPN route). This might be a better option for you.

Wow, I must say this thread is inspiring. I am almost done with nursing school and I have felt many times that I would be kicked out..or not pass and I wasn't able to imagine what I would do..after reading this thread I can see that If you keep your eye on the prize, and truly have it in your heart, you can do it!

I know how you feel. I failed my fundamentals course last semester. I cried alot and it took me a long time to get over it. I decided to apply to another school. I did not think I would never get in but I did. So, in August I am going to give it another try. Hopefully, I will make it. Just hang in there, you can make your dream come true.:)

+ Add a Comment