Rules for Nursing School

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Following on from the other "Rules" Threads:

1. Turn off your mobile phone, if it absolutely must be on, let the lecturer know and keep it on the lowest possible volume or on silent (it is a rule at my school if your phone goes off you owe the lecturer chocolate or alcohol depending on the lecturers preference)

2. If you are a new student don't act like you know more than the students who have been there for longer (unless of course you do)

3. If the course has an online group and you can read previous questions, do not ask the same question again and again, the lecturer and other people will get sick of answering the same question 5 or 6 or even 7 times (you will be notified if the answer is different)

4. If you tell someone something it's bound to get around to other people so be careful what you tell people (Rumours spread extremely fast)

5. Be polite to your lecturers and respect them for who they are (They are the ones marking your assignments, and I'm afraid they know a lot more than you do presently)

6. If you have a story you are willing to share related to the current topic by all means share it but if it's not related forget it

7. Don't constantly complain about the number of hours you have to attend campus or how long it takes to do your assignments or how much study you need to do or how many readings you have, everyone is in the same boat and if you keep doing that you are likely to get offside with other students.

Specializes in Med/Surg <1; Epic Certified <1.
6. If you have a story you are willing to share related to the current topic by all means share it but if it's not related forget it

On the same token, we're all in school together for 2+ years....we don't need to hear EVERY story you have that's related to the current....believe it or not, most of your classmates also have stories that are related and we'd be there an extra TWO years if we all shared. That's why the instructor told us last week to hold our personal stories -- because some have complained to her about you. (not meaning the op, lol). We are there because we need the lecture material, not because we had nothing better to do that day. Let her get through the material -- please!!

Don't expect to receive credit for a group project when you didn't show up to any meetings or contribute to the assignment.

Specializes in med/surg, telemetry, IV therapy, mgmt.

Hi, asgirl!

There was a story on the TV news yesterday, and I'm not sure if it was local to here in Los Angeles or national to the United States, but it was about a high school prohibiting students from using their i-Pods during tests because they found the students were cheating. They had stolen tests and put the answers in between the music on their i-Pods! There's an American movie that was out a few years ago called Cheats which I just love. (The cheating, of course, is wrong, but the movie is cute.) It's about a group of high school students who cheat their way through high school. They devise all kinds of crafty ways to steal tests, work out the answers and then sneak the answers into the classroom while they are taking the tests. One of the students can write the test answers "crazy small" on different objects they take with them to the test. The best is the "Answer Song", I think. It's the way they remember the sequence of the answers to a multiple choice test. All the words of the song begin with "A", "B, "C, "D" or "E" and it is nonsensical, but sung to the tune of a famous classical piece of music.

Anyway, the community college I attend has signs plastered all over the walls of the halls and probably all four walls of most every classroom that all cell phones are to be turned off during class. Instructors stop lecturing if a cell phone goes off in class and won't start up again until the cell phone is turned off. This is pretty universally done by the instructors there which makes me think that all the teachers have been instructed to do this by the college administration. It's also an assertiveness technique: stare at the person causing an inappropriate disruption and say nothing. It creates stress in the disruptor.

Welcome to allnurses! :welcome:

Whatever it is, do it early and give 100%.

Don't expect to receive credit for a group project when you didn't show up to any meetings or contribute to the assignment.

WIsh this was true at my school. The " group" always gets ONE grade regardless of the slacker's lack of contributions- even WHEN the instructor is fully aware. It's my BIGGEST pet peeve about those projects.

. instructors stop lecturing if a cell phone goes off in class and won't start up again until the cell phone is turned off.

the nursing instructors insist you don't even bring your phone to class. if you do, and are caught, 1-2 points are removed from your next test score.

once, someone's phone went off during a test. we all froze. the purses and coats were in a big pile on the floor in the front of the class, and the teacher absolutely dove into the pile to try to find the purse that held the contraband phone. we watched her incredulously as she threw things aside, holding purse after purse up to her ear trying to discover which bag was ringing. mercifully, the phone stopped ringing and she couldn't figure out which purse it was. boy, was she steamed. we all sat there, frozen, staring wide-eyed at the scene that we just witnessed. it was really hard to return to the test after that. i laugh now, but we were dying at the time. :sofahider:

Okay I have one..Dont constantly miss class because you dont feel like getting out of bed and then when important study material is handed out, you ask one of your classmates that is there everyday to make a copy for you..

Specializes in Junior Year of BSN.

Keep em coming this is a great idea. Especially for someone like me thats about to start!

Sidenote- It doesn't matter if your in nursing lecture or regular gen. ed. classes, put your phone on VIBRATE! Also, STOP texting in class!!! I leave my cell in my truck, to many people see the cellphone as an extra hand cause their never without it.

Every syllabus has rules on the usage of cellphones in class now. So whatever the consequences are then you HAVE to abide by them. In Biology, we had a test everytime we came in, and if your cellphone went off ANYTIME during class you failed the test that day. No ones cellphone EVER went off, greatest idea ever.

Specializes in Junior Year of BSN.
Hi, asgirl!

There was a story on the TV news yesterday, and I'm not sure if it was local to here in Los Angeles or national to the United States, but it was about a high school prohibiting students from using their i-Pods during tests because they found the students were cheating. They had stolen tests and put the answers in between the music on their i-Pods! There's an American movie that was out a few years ago called Cheats which I just love. (The cheating, of course, is wrong, but the movie is cute.) It's about a group of high school students who cheat their way through high school. They devise all kinds of crafty ways to steal tests, work out the answers and then sneak the answers into the classroom while they are taking the tests. One of the students can write the test answers "crazy small" on different objects they take with them to the test. The best is the "Answer Song", I think. It's the way they remember the sequence of the answers to a multiple choice test. All the words of the song begin with "A", "B, "C, "D" or "E" and it is nonsensical, but sung to the tune of a famous classical piece of music.

Anyway, the community college I attend has signs plastered all over the walls of the halls and probably all four walls of most every classroom that all cell phones are to be turned off during class. Instructors stop lecturing if a cell phone goes off in class and won't start up again until the cell phone is turned off. This is pretty universally done by the instructors there which makes me think that all the teachers have been instructed to do this by the college administration. It's also an assertiveness technique: stare at the person causing an inappropriate disruption and say nothing. It creates stress in the disruptor.

Welcome to allnurses! :welcome:

I actually read an article yesterday on Yahoo regarding this. Heres the news article link to it:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070427/ap_on_hi_te/ipod_cheating

Specializes in Neurosciences.

Do not complain when you fail the class because you refused to read the assigned readings for the exam. Then instead of accepting responsibility for your actions, blame the instructor for not making the Powerpoints well enough.

This is my pet peeve!

Don't get into confrontations with your instructors/CI/Primary nurse.

Don't gossip

Don't whine to the teacher about how hard NS is. They already know.

Don't procrastinate

Seek help early if you don't understand something. All concepts build upon each other

+ Add a Comment