Need a preceptor? Click here!

Nursing Students NP Students

Published

Specializes in Acute Care - Cardiology.

many of you have been asking for preceptors lately and i have responded similarly to all of them... i'm not sure how conclusive this list is, but should you need a preceptor start here: http://www.npfinder.com

this is a site offered by the american academy of nurse practitioners, and most of the aanp members have listed themselves here. other resources include state and local np associations and simply calling out of the phone book (i wasn't too good for this before the np finder and it worked well for me. :))

good luck!

Ah, fun site, thanks!

Two of the instructors for my msn program show up in the listing, that's kind of neat.

Thanks for posting it, I'll hand it around to my fellow classmates who may be stressing about finding clinical spots.

So do you work with preceptors? Do they mentor you?

How does this whole preceptor thing work?

Specializes in Acute Care - Cardiology.

no, as i have finished my np program, i have no need for preceptors anymore. a preceptor is someone that supervises a student in his or her workplace for usually one semester. they act as a clinical instructor, so to speak. for example, when i did my adult internal medicine rotation, i found an adult nurse practitioner willing to let me work with her during her usual clinic hours. i gave her a copy of my clinical objectives for my np program that semester, and it was both of our responsibilities to ensure that i met those expectations. i would go in before her, assess the patient, perform an h&p or whatever, then go discuss the case with her. she'd provide feedback accordingly. i'd also document my findings in the chart. basically, she takes the place of your "instructor" because your np instructors cannot be with each and every student for clinical rotations... so my np instructor would come visit 1-2 times per semester, just to ensure that things were going well.

hope that helped...

Specializes in M/S, Psych, ART, CM, MT.

I have so much frustration building inside, I cant even this straight. I applied to multiple programs, carefully selected the best options and took the plunge. I kept several schools on stand-by in-case something fell through at my first choice. I was accepted to one of the nations top nursing programs- I barely graduated HS, I came from an awful situation growing up- but I was actually accepted. I had never felt so special (I know that I sound corny, but this school is HUGE and for me and my application to get in was an achievement.

Now, the problem:

I'm a distance option student and I most locate all of my clinical myself... I thought, I can do this, I am resourceful, I know people... well, I have been searching for 5 months and still have yet to locate a clinical site. Everyone is too busy, not enough time, to much paperwork etc... BUT, I am told (from the school, the dean, the places I apply to precept) that I will make a fabulous addition to the NP community- but still no clinical.

I have decided to relook at some local schools who have no bells or whistles, because atleast they have clinical lined up...

BTW, in prep for attending this school, I needed to borrow 52k in a plus loan, 21k in regular stafford loans. I have tried everything... You would think a school that is ranked so high, prestigious, ivy league would carry some weight- nope... And the school themselves--- NO HELP AT ALL, so for the 76k total for one year... I cant even get assistance with a clinical (I told the school I would travel anyplace in the US, and stay for weeks in order to complete the hours...) NOPE!

Now, I am actually back in therapy... and my interest in school, hell my interest in nursing in general is almost gone. I have never felt so alone. It is like applying for a job without having the right credentials, or trying to get on wrinkle out of a king size bed sheet in the center By pulling on all sides...

any advice?

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

Can you give us a general location of where you are looking?

I am sorry that I went off like that, I am just very frustrated.... My specialty is Family Psych so the areasI need hours are:

Child (3-12)

Adol (13-17)

Adult (18-64)

Older Adult (65 +)

So Psych CNS, Psych NP, Psychiatrist, etc

Im really a nice guy, im sorry, just so tired of hearning NO:yeah:

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

That's okay.

I didn't make myself clear either (lol) - I meant what area of the country?

New England, I will travel if needed. I am on the boarder of Massachusetts and New Hampshire- i just checked my email, and the only lead that I had, asked to reschedule ;(

I understand your frustrations I live in an area with many FNP/ANP schools along with medical students. I am being turned down by all docs in my hospital because of their commentment to medical students... I need a family practice to precept in office only. I'm not allowed to precept in a hospital because my program is FNP. I live in south FL if any FNP's or PA's are willing. The PA's & FNP's I work with is trying to help me but they all specialize in Cardiology. :o

Just wanted to check back and see if anyone is in the New England area and willing to precept in the area of APRN Psychiatric Mental Health?

Please, contact me!

NurIch

Specializes in Psych, Chem Dependency, Occ. Health.

Have you tried any of the drug and alcohol rehabs in MA or RI? Even if they don't have a psychiatrist or psych NP on staff they generally contract with at least one to come in and do psych evals for their patients with co-occuring disorders. Maybe they would have some leads. Have you joined the state NP organizations? I know the MA one allows you to send out a preceptor request letter that gets mailed to all members. I get them all the time. I hope that helps.

Sue

+ Add a Comment