Does what school you go for your FNP matter?

Specialties NP

Published

Specializes in Hospice / Ambulatory Clinic.

In terms of finding a decent job or acceptance as a NP?

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

As long as its accredited and you pass the test and there is a need - nope!

I'm still in NP school, but I thought I would share this experience. We have a student who is an acute pedi. NP and he is being forced by state BNE rules to return to school to get certified to practice in the primary care pedi. area. He first NP degree was from an Ivy league school. He said he went $75K into debt. He says frequently and loudly that the classes he is taking here (state university) are every bit as comparable as his "Ivy League" education and yet.........oh so much cheaper.

In most cases, it matters. I live in a city that has an online NP program that isn't well respected and that's why I chose to attend a top tier school. This has helped me a great deal in not only landing jobs, but making more money than the average NP as well.

At my first job, I worked with another NP and the doctor paid me substantially more b/c I graduated from a well known, well respected school. He would "brag" to other physicians that his NP went to such and such school, etc. I felt bad for the other NP b/c she overheard all of this and I'm sure it made her uncomfortable.

I work as an independent contractor and the fact that I attended a top school has helped land me every single contract. The docs I work for have gone out of their way to tell their patients where I attended school b/c they want their patients to be comfortable seeing me. So, all that high dollar tuition paid off for me big time! However, if you're going to work for the county or state or in a rural area, I can't imagine they would really care - they wouldn't even KNOW to care!

Specializes in Education, FP, LNC, Forensics, ED, OB.

In my experience, it does not matter at all. Most employers want an experienced NP. They do not really care from where you graduated/received your education. Only if it is an accredited program like traumaRUs said.

In my experience, it does not matter at all. Most employers want an experienced NP. They do not really care from where you graduated/received your education. Only if it is an accredited program like traumaRUs said.

Let's put it this way, if you needed brain surgery and you had 2 surgeons to pick from and they were both equally experienced, would you rather have the neurosurgeon who was educated at Harvard or XYZ state school? I'll pay MORE for the neurosurgeon educated at Harvard anytime, any day! The majority of those paying patients would rather be seen by the NP/PA from the "better" school. The Medicaid patients won't have a choice.

Specializes in Education, FP, LNC, Forensics, ED, OB.

As I stated, this has been my experience in several states with many NPs I've mentored.

We will just have to respectfully disagree on this ANPFNPGNP.

Others may have a different experience, but I found that the school I attended helped me very much in landing my first NP job. My school is well known as a good school in this area. Because of the connections I was able to develop a rapport with the clinical director, who also went to school there, and had opportunities to gain NP clinical experience in specialty areas (like HIV)I may not have had otherwise. The job I have now is worth the tuition. Otherwise I would be so frustrated trying to break in to this field.

Yes and No...Most doctors want an experience NP but really don't care where they got their degree..as long as they can perform and bill-be productive. When I was going to school and doing my clinicals I had a lot of opportunities for jobs before I graduated b/c I networked and sold myself. The important thing I learn was how to negotiate (thru a fellow experienced NP)! I've been an RN for over 10 yrs w/varies experiences (ICU, ortho, medsurg, wounds, etc). It paid off. I know that I earned higher than a new NP grad-on average. What school did not teach me well was the finance issue--billing-what an NP can bring in for the practice. Well I learned quickly and when it was time for my review..you bet ya that I got a good raise.

Others may have a different experience, but I found that the school I attended helped me very much in landing my first NP job. My school is well known as a good school in this area. Because of the connections I was able to develop a rapport with the clinical director, who also went to school there, and had opportunities to gain NP clinical experience in specialty areas (like HIV)I may not have had otherwise. The job I have now is worth the tuition. Otherwise I would be so frustrated trying to break in to this field.

Education is not equal. If you have a choice, would you rather attend an Ivy League school or a state school? Yale over Univ of OK...hmmm. Every profession discriminates and the healthcare field certainly isn't any different. Top school = better educated = smarter NP = better care...at least that's what the "educated" public perceives.

It's tough enough being a "midlevel," so being educated at the best schools is only going to help your situation.

Specializes in Geriatrics.

Is it of your opinion that online schools might be seen as a lesser form of schooling? I'm preparing to attend Univ. of Phoenix online for my BSN and MSN. What do you all think?

Blessings, Michelle

Education is not equal. If you have a choice, would you rather attend an Ivy League school or a state school? Yale over Univ of OK...hmmm. Every profession discriminates and the healthcare field certainly isn't any different. Top school = better educated = smarter NP = better care...at least that's what the "educated" public perceives.

It's tough enough being a "midlevel," so being educated at the best schools is only going to help your situation.

If the Ivy League schools are so much better, I wonder why my IL educated friend says our state school is the same as or even better than his much more $$ program?

+ Add a Comment