Nursing Students ADN/BSN

Published

Quick poll here...

Does your hospital pay BSN nurses more?

If yes, how much?

If no, what are your thoughts on this?

On a side note:

Does Magnet status tie into BSN nurses?

I have heard that in order to become magnet, a certain percentage of nurses at your facility must have BSN degrees. Just a question..

Thanks!

nope - at our hospital, it's the same entry pay rate for all RNs. There is probably a difference when it comes to advancement opportunities, but I wouldn't know (still a new nurse!)

Specializes in ICU.

Same pay at my hospital also. I have a friend that works at a hospital trying to get magnet status and they're pushing everyone towards a BSN

Specializes in Home Health Care.

In my community hospital, No. Unless the BSN takes a more difficult NCLEX than the other RN's, I think the pay should stay the same.

Specializes in Case mgmt., rehab, (CRRN), LTC & psych.

My facility starts all RNs at the same hourly wage, regardless of the degree or diploma they have earned.

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

I live in central IL and the four hospitals here start all new grads at the same pay rate. Two of the four are Magnet facilities and yes, they strongly encourage further education. In a Magnet facility, in order to move up through the ranks, a BSN or higher is required.

the hospital i used to work at didn't pay more for BSN nurses. they encouraged us all to further our education but didn't acknowledge all the hard work with higher pay.

I work at a magnet metropolitan ICU (graduated last August with a BSN). Our hospital does pay BSN's a higher salary than ADN or Diploma nurses (I'm not sure of the exact difference but I think starting BSN's make about two dollars an hour more). New BSN grads are considered "clinical nurse" while ADN/Diploma are classified as "staff nurse", this designation is put on our name badges also. Only BSN grads are considered for entry level positions in ICU (adult, neonatal or pediatric) and ob/gyn positions (L&D, postpartum, high risk), I believe BSN is also required for entry level telemetry unit also. ADN/Diploma grads are hired in med/surg and skilled nursing/rehab, otherwise I know our hospital prefers BSN's for other positions. I work at the "big downtown" campus. I don't think this difference is found at the smaller "regional" hospitals (affiliated with our system)

Specializes in LTC,MED/SURG,ICU.

Small community hospital were I work does pay 25 cents/hour for a BSN . They also pay an additional 50 cents for MSN.:lol2:

i'm currently a nursing student, but the hospitals affiliated with our university (i'm in BSN program) pay .25/hr more for having a a BSN. so, if you figure that up, you make about $525 more a year than your co-workers with an ADN, which in 5 years won't even cover the cost of the tuition of the extra education you got. is that fair? absolutely not. but, unfortunately, you learn really quickly that life isn't fair.

Specializes in Cardiac.

Nope. No difference in pay.

$100.00 a month for BSN prorated to your FTE.

Most on six 12 hour shifts per 2 week pay period get $90.00.

I do five 12's for 60 hours every two weeks so get an extra $75.00 a month.

+ Add a Comment