Major Depression and a Nsg Career

Specialties Psychiatric

Published

Specializes in Long-term care.

I would like to know if anyone out there has had a problem with Major Depression and Panic Disorder and has been able to finish nursing school. I've been on medicine for 5 years now...I started on Paxil then changed to Effexor XR, while it helps enough, sometimes I just can't function. I'm afraid to change medicines again, because, frankly I'm afraid I will run out of options, what if they all stop working?

I work double wknds and thought it would be the perfect schedule for school. I was accepted into an LPN program last year but could not drag myself out of bed for the first day of class. I was invited for an interview again this year but could not even make it. I manage to do ok on weekends, the 16 hr days, but through the week, I stay in bed an average of 12 hours a day. I guess I want to know if there are any nurses out there who have had the same problem and if I will be able to succeed with my affliction.

Specializes in Neuro ICU, Neuro/Trauma stepdown.

it's early in the morning, so perhaps i'll be able to elaborate later, but i have suffered major depression since i high school and just graduated from the rn program. i too worked 16 hr shifts every sat and sun, but had to cut down my last quarter to 8-14-12 ( that's not really cutting down), r/t all thementorship hours i had to do. it was very difficult, there were a few times i literally thoguht i was cracking and would have to be committed. i gained 40 lbs. i'm still working as an aide, waiting to take boards, but it was all worth it. although i can see things around me that are clear remininders of what i went through, holes in the walls... it honestly doesn't seem so bad now that its over.

~angel~ g.luck!

Specializes in Med-Surg, Trauma, Ortho, Neuro, Cardiac.

You're meds and current treatment definately are not working and you need professional guidance.

I was in the midst of a major depression when I was taking some pre-reqs in the 80s. I made two B's which for me is akin to failure. I didn't perform well and sat out several semesters, started and restarted.

My experience, was I had to get my depression under control prior to succeeding in school. It would seem to me that you're in the same situation. Nursing school is too tough and demanding to face in the midst of depression.

Once I was able to put one foot in front of the other and show up for life, my eventual success in nursing helped to keep the depression at bay. Having a goal and suceeding is a tremendous boost to the depressed mood. Sometimes I feel it's always there lurking underneath the surface, but as long as I show up for life, take care of my physical (diet and exercise) and spiritual, I do very well and haven't been bedridden in about 20 years. Wow, did I say 20 years??? Woo hoo!

Best of luck to you.

I would like to know if anyone out there has had a problem with Major Depression and Panic Disorder and has been able to finish nursing school. I've been on medicine for 5 years now...I started on Paxil then changed to Effexor XR, while it helps enough, sometimes I just can't function. I'm afraid to change medicines again, because, frankly I'm afraid I will run out of options, what if they all stop working?

I work double wknds and thought it would be the perfect schedule for school. I was accepted into an LPN program last year but could not drag myself out of bed for the first day of class. I was invited for an interview again this year but could not even make it. I manage to do ok on weekends, the 16 hr days, but through the week, I stay in bed an average of 12 hours a day. I guess I want to know if there are any nurses out there who have had the same problem and if I will be able to succeed with my affliction.

Why do you torture yourself with trying to work 16-hour days? Sleep deprivation exacts a toll on the body whether one wants to admit it or not. Please get the sleep your body needs on a regular basis to function well. Nursing is hard work, physically and mentally, and there's no point in deliberately handicapping yourself by not taking care of your own health needs.

Julie frm Dallas,

I have some of the same problems. Although I am young, I realized along time ago, I cannot let myself get run down or overly tired. If I do I am in big trouble. I will end up spending days in bed.

It sounds like you cannot work those long hours during the week. You need rest in order to keep the depression at bay. There is no shame in that . Be fortunate that your body cares enough about your mind to warn you and tell you what it needs.

. I used to take medicines too. I've graduated to 9 hours of sleep, a healthy diet and brisk exercise 5 days a week. After a week or two 45 min on a treadmill or elliptical will give you a real happy rush!

Hi Julie...I am graduating this December .....I had panic attacks & anxiety when I first started nursing school....I was sitting in class one day & just passed out cold while sitting at my desk.......after that I had multiple episeodes of seeing stars & nearly passing out..I was at the point of being afraid to be home alone for fear I would die or need cpr & no one would be around to help me.........I was put on Klonopin 0.5mg 2x a day & I was tried on Effexor but it made stuff worse for me...I was then put on Zoloft and it worked great with the Klonopin.....Klonopin can make some people tired but it definetly helps you relax.......I only took them for about 2 years.....and the doctor told me it kind of retrains your brain to start producing the chemicals the drugs are replacing so after a time people can stop the meds & they are ok................

I withdrew from classes because I literally had to get up & leave the room several times due to feeling like I would faint...even other people noticed my color would just drain out of my face & I would turn sheet white or grey looking..................so I thought it was very disruptive to others & not fair for me to be up & down...so I knew what I had to do.................so I did .....I went back to school in 2004 and started all over again fresh.....& so far (knock on wood) I have been fine............with the exception of occasional pvc's .........but I will take that anyday over what I dealt with before.................stress can do very bizarre things to your body..because I never felt stressed at all and then one day.....bam! So that's what I did......and also it may help to go talk to a counselor because in addition to the meds I did it...and that also helped immensly................there may be things you have no awareness of that can give you alot of stress....anyway good luck..and you CAN do it....... ;)

Specializes in Long-term care.

Thanks to all of you who replied, I've been encouraged. It's not so easy to talk about this sort of thing and your responses are appreciated.

Specializes in ER, Family Practice, Free Clinics.
You're meds and current treatment definately are not working and you need professional guidance.

I was able to put one foot in front of the other and show up for life...

You said it all Tweety. Showing up, physically, mentally, and emotionally is so much of the battle. Anyone who just can't muster it up for something they really care about should see a professional (perhaps a different professional) as soon as possible.

I wish the OP the very best of health, happiness, and luck. :icon_hug:

+ Add a Comment