PALS course

Specialties Emergency

Published

Hi

Has anyone taken PALS?

What can I expect?

17 chapters to read in the book and it is overwhelming....

2 day course with written test (I am not liking that...).

Any input would be appreciated by those who have already taken it.

Many thanks,

Sarah

Specializes in Peds Cardiology,Peds Neuro,Pedi ER,PICU, IV Jedi.

First off Sarah, relax!!

PALS is a course designed to help you understand pediatric norms and abnormal findings, and effectively treat them. The test is BASIC and if you read the question you'll see the answer. KNOW YOUR BASIC LIFE SUPPORT.

Skills stations now are different than in the past, where everyone worked a "code" and was graded on their ability. Now there are dozens of different "scenarios" and you must take what you're given and provide appropriate care...careful not to "over escalate" but to provide appropriate care given the situation.

Listen to your instructors at lecture time, read your handouts. It's really not necessary to read the book, but if that will help you then do it.

Take a deep breath. You can do this.

vamedic4

Specializes in Trauma/ED.

Have you had ACLS? If so, the format is very similar and just remember the instructors are there to help you learn the material not to fail you :)

Don't panic. I have been PALS certified for many years and never cracked the book once beyond the first time, because it's similar to ACLS. The main thing you have to remember is that dosages are based on weight more so than adults. If you have the little flip book from the current ACLS course, that's all you need for PALS. In fact, because the new guidelines have not been published yet, you are not required to even have the text book at this time, just the little spiral flip book. It has ACLS in front and PALS in back.

Don't panic. I have been PALS certified for many years and never cracked the book once beyond the first time, because it's similar to ACLS. The main thing you have to remember is that dosages are based on weight more so than adults. If you have the little flip book from the current ACLS course, that's all you need for PALS. In fact, because the new guidelines have not been published yet, you are not required to even have the text book at this time, just the little spiral flip book. It has ACLS in front and PALS in back.

Thanks for your reply.

Have you had ACLS? If so, the format is very similar and just remember the instructors are there to help you learn the material not to fail you :)

Yes. ACLS was very stressful for first time course.

Thanks for your feedback.

I thought it was easier than ACLS, and I took PALS first. Skim through the chapters, making note of what's different from adults (like think respiratory problem rather than cardiac problem as the cause.) Do the questions at the end of the chapters and your pretest, then pay attention during class and you'll be fine. Good luck!!

Specializes in ER, Teaching, HH, CM, QC, OB, LTC.

I thought that PALS was a better course than ACLS. I agree with all here, Be sure to listen in the class and at the practice stations. All the instuctors That I've had over the years work very hard at giving all the info tha tyou will need to be sucessful>

Best of Luck!

For me, PALS was definitely easier than ACLS.

It looks daunting but it is very doable. And the instructors are there to help you.

steph

Specializes in CT ,ICU,CCU,Tele,ED,Hospice.

anyone know how i locate a local PALS course?

Specializes in ICU, CCU, Trauma, neuro, Geriatrics.

I have taken PALS in the past, I don't remember it being anything but a wonderful learning experience. It is the pediatric directed ACLS. Local PALS courses can usually be found through the pre-hospital department of your local hospital. The paramedics have to recertify every 2 years as do most ER nurses.

Specializes in Adult SICU; open heart recovery.
anyone know how i locate a local PALS course?

There are links from the AHA website (heart.org).

try this link: http://heart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3012360

Good luck,

Hillary

+ Add a Comment