Mandatory Overtime Bill Passed by House; need to contact state Senators for passage

U.S.A. Pennsylvania

Published

Specializes in Vents, Telemetry, Home Care, Home infusion.

pa nurses legislative alert: october 6, 2006

pa state nurses association encourages you to:

contact your senator to support of hb 957 - known as the mandatory overtime bill

a vote may occur early next week (october 9). the bill was sponsored by rep. george hasay (r-luzerne).

about [color=#336699]hb 957:

this bill has passed in the house and has been amended expanding the definition from "nurses" to "employees". an "employee" is defined as an individual employed by a health care facility or by the commonwealth - who is involved in the direct patient care activities or clinical care services".

the summary of the bill: prohibits the use of mandatory overtime for "employees" in health care facilities and states that a health care facility may not mandate that an "employee" work in excess of 12 consecutive hours, or in excess of 60 hours per week.

the bill shall be known as the prohibition of excessive overtime act.

pa state nurses association supports this bill.

click here for the pa state nurses association's position statement on mandatory overtime: http://www.panurses.org/index2.cfm?filename=site/resources/position/posstat_ot.htm

pa state nurses association encourages you to contact your senator, to let them know you support this bill and you urge them to vote for this bill.

"we applaud representative hasay's efforts to improve workplace conditions for our nurses!" stated betsy snook, executive administrator pa state nurses association. "i encourage all nurses to contact their senators today and voice your support for the prohibition of excessive overtime act."

see:

nurses are pleased with mandatory overtime ban passed by pa hse of representatives

Specializes in ED, PCU, Addiction, Home Health.

Thanks Karen - already emailed my local state senator tonight. I did some online surfing about the bill beforehand. I couldn't find exactly when it will come to vote in the Senate - but they apparrently re-convene oct 16th.

Dawn in Pa

I emailed mine!

Okay. If this bill is trying to stop people from working more than 12hrs a day and not over 60hrs a week then I am totally against it. I know people who work 16hrs and if they can hack it then so be it. Some people work doubles or "2 jobs" in one building because they have no choice. Me personally cant do over 12hrs but some people can.

This is overtime that you did not choose, do not want and can't refuse without placing your license at risk!

Okay. If this bill is trying to stop people from working more than 12hrs a day and not over 60hrs a week then I am totally against it. I know people who work 16hrs and if they can hack it then so be it. Some people work doubles or "2 jobs" in one building because they have no choice. Me personally cant do over 12hrs but some people can.
This is overtime that you did not choose, do not want and can't refuse without placing your license at risk!

Okay. I knew that did not make sense. Thanks for clarification.

What is the status of this bill? Thanks!

Specializes in Vents, Telemetry, Home Care, Home infusion.

PAssed by the house and moved to Senate....expired at end of legislative session. Will be reintrodued this year after legislators reconvene.

+ Add a Comment