California Forensic Medical Group- Is it a good start for a NEW GRAD??

Specialties Correctional

Published

I just had my first interview since passing my boards back in June (FINALLY! The California Forensic Medical Group was the first one to call me back.) and I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge about them. I know that they're a private company, but is it a good move to start out as a New Grad or not? I mean, don't get me wrong, I've been waiting by the phone for someone to call me back for almost three months so that I can make rent, so I'm THIS close to taking the job, but I just want to make sure that I'm not signing my life away. Here's some of the info that I got from our interview:

Its not a county job.

Pay is $44.61/hr, with 13.5 hours vacation per month.

The facility (in Fairfield, CA) has about 700 inmates and 100 juveniles.

Benefits for me would be free for Kaiser or PPO; any dependents would be additional $200.

It is a full time position 40hrs/week.

Please, can anyone with experience let me know if this job is any good?!

I really need to start working and they need to have it filled by the 2nd week of September which is when I basically need to make a decision. Should I be afraid for my safety as well? Is the pay enough? Do they maintain reasonable staffing levels? How do they treat employees? What is their general reputation in the field? ANY info would be GREAT.

thanks!

I would never recommend something like this without any experience under your belt first. Your assessment skills are going to need more attention as a new grad.

It is essentially a job in corrections, and you really need to have some type of experience under your belt.

If they are offering it to a new grad, it also means that they are desparate to find someone and that is not a good sign either in many ways.

Best of luck to you.

Grrreat. I am so torn! On one hand, I really, really need to start making some money. Times have been SO tough without working. On the other hand, I don't want to put myself in a horrible situation and feel trapped in a job that isn't for me. Although I do feel like I have the tough skin for corrections (which is something I don't mind), i don't want to work for a company that has a bad reputation.

I was hired 12 years ago by California Forensic Medical Group as a new grad and have been very happy with the company and the work. Assessment skills are very important and working in corrections is a good way to be exposed to many different types of situations and hone your skills.

CFMG does hire new grads if they are the right match for the company and position, they do support new grads through orientation and attention to training. You can expect to be sent to an assessment class and spend time with the MD, PA and experienced nurses, there is also always another RN on call in the community to help out.

It takes a special person to work and enjoy corrections, if you are not sure ask if you can shadow a shift, maybe even the nurse you are going to replace. That will give you a better sense of the other staff and work demands, they are usually very open to this.

Wow, thanks..penguinBSN:wink2: Not many people know too much about CFMG, it seems. Just had a looong talk with the BF. he is not happy about me working in corrections. *sigh, can't any of us win? geez.

Specializes in Med-Surg, Psych.

The pay and vacation time looked so good, I wondered if they were typos! Suggest you ask the company what their staffing ratio is and what tasks you would be responsible for during your shift. IMHO corrections is not a good place for a new grad as inmates can often be quite manipulative, and they would likely toy with a new grad young nurse.

I think your thread would work better in the corrections specialty forum. Suggest you read through threads on that forum to get a better feel for that area of nursing.

Specializes in Nephrology, Cardiology, ER, ICU.

Will move your thread to corrections as I think you might find someone there with some more info.

Thanks medsurgrnco for the suggestions!

Specializes in Emergency & Trauma/Adult ICU.

I understand your financial motives, but would encourage you to consider your first nursing job as the critical starting point to your long-term career, rather than just a short-term paycheck.

You asked for opinions ... I don't think corrections is appropriate for a brand new nurse. The company's willingness to hire a new grad very quickly does not bode well. :twocents:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, it really does help. I'm not quite sure how to move a thread, so I'll do that as soon as I can figure it out! (i'm brand new to this site!) anyway, well, i'm still thinking about the job...my BF strongly feels like I should wait for a better option. I have until next week, so we'll see...:imbar

Specializes in Education, FP, LNC, Forensics, ED, OB.
Thanks everyone for your thoughts, it really does help. I'm not quite sure how to move a thread, so I'll do that as soon as I can figure it out! (i'm brand new to this site!) anyway, well, i'm still thinking about the job...my BF strongly feels like I should wait for a better option. I have until next week, so we'll see...:imbar

Hello, Nurse This!

Your thread was moved to the Correctional Nursing forum already, by traumaRUs, the administrator.:wink2:

The job sounds good but just beware. I took a pt corrections job at a small facility as a new grad and was not supported at all. My termination letter was a relief given that they never even would answer my concerns, instead just bounced me around. Being an idealistic new grad with visions of everything being how it should be set me up for failure, as did the whopping 8-9 hours of training I received before being the left to be the only nurse on duty.

I am aware that there are much better places, with more support and may consider corrections in the future as the only thing missing was the training and support, as well as policies that should have been in place.

I think you are dealing with a seasoned company who does understand the implications of hiring a new grad by what Penguin says. It sounds like you will be well supported as well. Seek out learning oportunities and don't get mixed up in the games that both imates and staff can play. Remember to document well and if it does not feel right, don't do it no matter what the higher ups tell you.

I just had my first interview since passing my boards back in June (FINALLY! The California Forensic Medical Group was the first one to call me back.) and I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge about them. I know that they're a private company, but is it a good move to start out as a New Grad or not? I mean, don't get me wrong, I've been waiting by the phone for someone to call me back for almost three months so that I can make rent, so I'm THIS close to taking the job, but I just want to make sure that I'm not signing my life away. Here's some of the info that I got from our interview:

Its not a county job.

Pay is $44.61/hr, with 13.5 hours vacation per month.

The facility (in Fairfield, CA) has about 700 inmates and 100 juveniles.

Benefits for me would be free for Kaiser or PPO; any dependents would be additional $200.

It is a full time position 40hrs/week.

Please, can anyone with experience let me know if this job is any good?!

I really need to start working and they need to have it filled by the 2nd week of September which is when I basically need to make a decision. Should I be afraid for my safety as well? Is the pay enough? Do they maintain reasonable staffing levels? How do they treat employees? What is their general reputation in the field? ANY info would be GREAT.

thanks!

Hi, I was wondering if you decided to take this job or not? If so, how has it been?

+ Add a Comment