Changing career. Pharm Tech to RN

Posted
by Dutch002TR Dutch002TR (New) New

Hi, I have question to ask for people who just got into Nursing program.

I am currently a Pharmacy Tech at the private sterile compounding pharmacy. I enjoy the job just tiring most of the time because of the heavy work load and the pay is very low. So, I am thinking of pursuing a Nursing Associate degree to start and if I like it maybe I`ll pursue a BSN.. So, I am looking for solid advice to what books (Hesi A2-) to use to study effectively and get the best entrance exams score to have a higher chance in getting into for RN program . English is not my first language. My problem is my reading comprehension is not so good to be honest but science and math classes I am good at them. and Oh.. All minor classes and pre-reqs are all done... I am aiming to attend for the spring or fall. Please help.. your input in very much appreciated. bunch of thanks. God Bless.

-CRD.

The program I have in mind is the 2 year at community college (some are Block and others are integrated) ( Lone Star College or Houston Community College etc.) both of these schools requires entrance exams. :( as far as GPA I have a 3.6 and have 90 Credits total.

Edited by Dutch002TR
update on exams..

Sour Lemon

Has 12 years experience. 5,016 Posts

Dutch002TR said:
Hi, I have question to ask for people who just got into Nursing program.

I am currently a Pharmacy Tech at the private sterile compounding pharmacy. I enjoy the job just tiring most of the time because of the heavy work load and the pay is very low. So, I am thinking of pursuing a Nursing Associate degree to start and if I like it maybe I`ll pursue a BSN.. So, I am looking for solid advice to what books to use to study effectively and get the best entrance exams score to have a higher chance in getting into for RN program . English is not my first language. My problem is my reading comprehension is not so good to be honest but science and math classes I am good at them. and Oh.. All minor classes and pre-reqs are all done... I am aiming to attend for the Spring or fall. Please help.. your input in very much appreciated. bunch of thanks. God Bless.

-CRD.

You really need to have a specific program and/or exam in mind to get good advice. Some programs don't even require entrance exams. Mine based admission solely on the GPA of hard sciences. Every program is different.

amoLucia

amoLucia

Specializes in retired LTC. 7,735 Posts

Also please keep in mind that in today's nsg professional environment, a BSN is becoming the REAL baseline standard degree for RNs.

An Associate degree will get you an RN license, but your job variety possibilities are pretty much very limited without the BSN. And your upward mobility will also be limited.

It's really not much of an option to become an RN WITHOUT the BSN today (and most esp in the future). Plan on it!

Sour Lemon

Has 12 years experience. 5,016 Posts

amoLucia said:
Also please keep in mind that in today's nsg professional environment, a BSN is becoming the REAL baseline standard degree for RNs.

An Associate degree will get you an RN license, but your job variety possibilities are pretty much very limited without the BSN. And your upward mobility will also be limited.

It's really not much of an option to become an RN WITHOUT the BSN today (and most esp in the future). Plan on it!

That is all very true in some locations, but not so true in others.

TheCommuter, BSN, RN

Specializes in Case mgmt., rehab, (CRRN), LTC & psych. Has 16 years experience. 226 Articles; 27,608 Posts

Sour Lemon said:
That is all very true in some locations, but not so true in others.

Based on the nursing programs that interest the OP, I can safely conjecture he/she is in the Houston area. If he/she desires acute care hospital employment, a BSN degree will be necessary.

On the other hand, an associate degree will definitely suffice for employment opportunities in the myriad of workplace settings outside the acute care hospital.