Canadian RPN moving to USA

Posted
by Lello Lello Member

Hello everyone

I need your help I am a Canadian RPN Student will graduate in April 2020 and will get married to an American man in June of the same year. I am planning to move after I get My licence as an RPN. am doing good in my School and my GPA is good. My dream was to be an RN and I want to continue my RN/BSN education in the USA. What options do I have in the USA? And how long will take me to be an RN in the USA? Also will they accept my RPN license from Canada or I have to apply and take another exam in the USA. Btw I am moving to Minnesota. I am really frustrated.

Thank in advance

Edited by Lello

Crash_Cart

Specializes in ER OR LTC Code Blue Trauma Dog. Has 11 years experience. 446 Posts

One of the problems is any education you have acquired in Canada isn't recognized or accredited by the US Department of Education.

For example, the Board of Nursing in the US requires everyone who has a nursing credential to have completed a high school education recognized and accredited by the US Department of Education. The wording used in the Board of Nursing licensing requirements is very specific about that.

The same situation comes into play if you are applying to an American college to complete an RN program. They won't recognize any Canadian high school education as a prerequisite for admission into any of their programs. Similarly, any college credits you already have in Canada are not transferable into the US education system.

For that reason, even though you have already successfully completed and graduated high school in Canada, you have to get a GED credential from the state that is recognized and accredited by the US Department of Education.

It is entirely possible to transfer your RPN "education" (not license) to the US and get a US nursing license, but a license will not be issued without writing a board certified US exam.

Contact the Board of Nursing for the state you are moving to. They will provide you with all the details. Depending on the state, sometimes they have this information posted on their websites.

Edited by Crash_Cart

Silverdragon102, BSN

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC. Has 34 years experience. 1 Article; 39,477 Posts

Moved to the Nurse Registration forum

Lello

Lello

20 Posts

4 hours ago, Crash_Cart said:

One of the problems is any education you have acquired in Canada isn't recognized or accredited by the US Department of Education.

For example, the Board of Nursing in the US requires everyone who has a nursing credential to have completed a high school education recognized and accredited by the US Department of Education. The wording used in the Board of Nursing licensing requirements is very specific about that.

The same situation comes into play if you are applying to an American college to complete an RN program. They won't recognize any Canadian high school education as a prerequisite for admission into any of their programs. Similarly, any college credits you already have in Canada are not transferable into the US education system.

For that reason, even though you have already successfully completed and graduated high school in Canada, you have to get a GED credential from the state that is recognized and accredited by the US Department of Education.

It is entirely possible to transfer your RPN "education" (not license) to the US and get a US nursing license, but a license will not be issued without writing a board certified US exam.

Contact the Board of Nursing for the state you are moving to. They will provide you with all the details. Depending on the state, sometimes they have this information posted on their websites.

Thank you for your reply.

syous624

syous624

Has 2 years experience. 1 Post

Hi Lello,

 

I'm hoping you have an update. I'm in the same boat as you.

 

Thank you so so much!

Sonya

AkMN

AkMN

Has 1 years experience. 5 Posts

how does one post a new thread on here?

I am a US citizen currently studying for my RN in Quebec and have questions on shortening the program and getting my RN in the States.

Malmeid

Malmeid

9 Posts

On 9/14/2019 at 5:56 PM, Crash_Cart said:

One of the problems is any education you have acquired in Canada isn't recognized or accredited by the US Department of Education.

For example, the Board of Nursing in the US requires everyone who has a nursing credential to have completed a high school education recognized and accredited by the US Department of Education. The wording used in the Board of Nursing licensing requirements is very specific about that.

The same situation comes into play if you are applying to an American college to complete an RN program. They won't recognize any Canadian high school education as a prerequisite for admission into any of their programs. Similarly, any college credits you already have in Canada are not transferable into the US education system.

For that reason, even though you have already successfully completed and graduated high school in Canada, you have to get a GED credential from the state that is recognized and accredited by the US Department of Education.

It is entirely possible to transfer your RPN "education" (not license) to the US and get a US nursing license, but a license will not be issued without writing a board certified US exam.

Contact the Board of Nursing for the state you are moving to. They will provide you with all the details. Depending on the state, sometimes they have this information posted on their websites.

A lot of misinformation there, buddy!

AkMN

AkMN

Has 1 years experience. 5 Posts

31 minutes ago, Malmeid said:

A lot of misinformation there, buddy!

But what it the right information?

But what is the right information?

katherine100

katherine100, LPN

Specializes in LTC (LPN-RN). Has 13 years experience. 283 Posts

On 8/16/2021 at 12:38 PM, AkMN said:

But what it the right information?

But what is the right information?

My U.S school did accept my Quebec high schools transcripts. That would be absolutely crazy if they did not. And I did not need WES.

AkMN

AkMN

Has 1 years experience. 5 Posts

On 1/19/2022 at 7:00 PM, katherine100 said:

My U.S school did accept my Quebec high schools transcripts. That would be absolutely crazy if they did not. And I did not need WES.

I am applying to some Online BSN programs currently here in Canada and US and the one I applied to in the US is asking me to do the WES.

Although I heard that I can go to Ontario to take the NCLEX-RN and then be able to work in the US easily. Is that true? Just recently started the Nursing Internship and hope to graduate in May.

What school is that?

I am applying to some Online BSN programs currently here in Canada and US and the one I applied to in the US is asking me to do the WES.

Although I heard that I can go to Ontario to take the NCLEX-RN and then be able to work in the US easily. Is that true? Just recently started the Nursing Internship and hope to graduate in May.

Lello

Lello

20 Posts

Which US schools 

18 minutes ago, AkMN said:

I am applying to some Online BSN programs currently here in Canada and US and the one I applied to in the US is asking me to do the WES.

Although I heard that I can go to Ontario to take the NCLEX-RN and then be able to work in the US easily. Is that true? Just recently started the Nursing Internship and hope to graduate in May.

What school is that?

I am applying to some Online BSN programs currently here in Canada and US and the one I applied to in the US is asking me to do the WES.

Although I heard that I can go to Ontario to take the NCLEX-RN and then be able to work in the US easily. Is that true? Just recently started the Nursing Internship and hope to graduate in May.

Which US school are applying too , since I am moving to the US soon and I want to apply while I am here?. 

 

Thanks

katherine100

katherine100, LPN

Specializes in LTC (LPN-RN). Has 13 years experience. 283 Posts

5 hours ago, AkMN said:

I am applying to some Online BSN programs currently here in Canada and US and the one I applied to in the US is asking me to do the WES.

Although I heard that I can go to Ontario to take the NCLEX-RN and then be able to work in the US easily. Is that true? Just recently started the Nursing Internship and hope to graduate in May.

What school is that?

I am applying to some Online BSN programs currently here in Canada and US and the one I applied to in the US is asking me to do the WES.

Although I heard that I can go to Ontario to take the NCLEX-RN and then be able to work in the US easily. Is that true? Just recently started the Nursing Internship and hope to graduate in May.

Where in Ontario can you do your NCLEX RN?  I would apply to NY or VT and get it done there. I am doubting you can do it in Ontario. If they ask for WES just get it done.