Answers to "Which Dressing Should I Use"?Register Today!
- by NRSKarenRN Jul 29, '12"Which Dressing Should I Use" is a frequent lament on AN.
The Wound Care Education Institute has a wonderful outline of wound care product selection advice under Wound Dressing Categories, including indications and disadvantages:
See their many resources...bottom section of website has web links too.
Pressure Ulcer Staging
Differentiating Lower Extremity Ulcers
Moist Wound Healing
Wound Documentation Tips
Prevention of Skin Breakdown
Nutrients Necessary for Wound Healing
Non-Sterile Dressing Change Procedure
Ankle Brachial Index (ABI) Documentation Form
Wound Dressing Categories
Dakins Solution RecipeLast edit by NRSKarenRN on Jul 30, '12
- 3,377 Views
- Jul 29, '12 by NRSKarenRNThe Prevention and Treatment of Pressure Ulcers - USPharmacist ...
Added to above list:
Antimicrobial dressings include:
a. Iodine solution: Iodoform gauze -packing strips sizes 1/4", 1/2" , 1", 2"; Iodasorb gel
b. Silver impregnated: Acquacel Ag; Acticoat, Silvasorb,
c. Metronidazole gel -good for fungating wounds.
Article: ABC of wound healing: Wound dressings
Wound Source website has list of dressing categories with product names + manufacture:
Dressings | Wound Care Dressings for Treatment of Pressure Ulcers |Diabetic Ulcers and Venous Ulcers
Wound product pictures can be viewed at DME sites that include pricing like
Medical Department Store
Wound Care Shop
Sterling Medical Services
Disclamer: above sites have good pictures of products on the market, no endorsement/experience implied.Last edit by NRSKarenRN on Jul 30, '12
- Jul 29, '12 by VickyRNTHANK YOU!!!
- Jul 29, '12 by nursie_nursie_415My facility has an EXCELLENT wound care team that has spoiled the hospital rotten with outstanding wound consults & detailed wound care instructions for every wound possible. For those who want this to be their speciality, consider attaining your CWOCN.
- Jul 30, '12 by amygarsideThanks for sharing, NRSKarenRN!
- Jul 30, '12 by Hygiene QueenThis is a timely post, for me.
- Jul 30, '12 by sweetgeorgiaThank you! These resources are greatly appreciated!
- Aug 3, '12 by RiverNurseNRSKarenRN - has anyone told you today just how amazing you are?
I'm currently doing my wound care clinical rotation (CWCN boards to follow) and all your tips and links are most helpful!
- Aug 3, '12 by NRSKarenRNMany thanks to Stephanie CETN who taught me the ropes about wound care.