Any WV nurses here?Register Today!
This is a discussion on Any WV nurses here? in West Virginia Nursing, part of United States Nursing ... Are there any West Virginia nurses out there? I can't believe that with the way things are going...by amyslater Oct 4, '03Are there any West Virginia nurses out there? I can't believe that with the way things are going for us that there are no rants or raves here. I know my pay is crap. Have you read any of the threads where someone is making just under $48 per hour. Is our hospital system the worst in the worl to work for or what? Do you realize that some of the dudes in patient transport (St. Francis) are making more than some nurses?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=46101©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 4,823 Views
- Oct 7, '03 by barefootladyHi Amy,
Who ever said the guys in transport at SFH make more than nurses is not telling the truth. I worked there for over 3 years and I know. HCA is lousy and CAMC and Thomas are not much better. I am looking in NC and Ohio. If I am going to work like a mule then I want to be paid better. I am tired of all of the talk about lay offs, I am tired of being flexed up or down at the supervisor's whim . I want some appreciation for getting to work in bad weather like we have here. The insurance coverage we have here is too costly. I think the nurses in this state are just too scared to do or go anywhere else. Most of them are supporting a family by themselves. Hubby's do not have good jobs. Just some reasons why things are the way they are here. Beside, we WV women are known to take bad treatment with our mouths shut and to continue returning for more.
- Nov 21, '03 by nursey1Working in the carolinas isn't much better . I worked at grandstand medical center in myrtle beach ......they are really hurting for nurses . When I went down when they were offering a 5000.00 bonus and a relocation fee , now , I believe it is 10,000.00 bonus . But the staffing was critical & very unsafe
( worse than here ) . As for the hr pay here ...the new nurse are making around 17/hr and I have 14 yrs exp and only making 20/hr. WOW ! 3.00 whole dollars for 14 yrs exp . !!!! Makes ya want to keep on working , doesn't it ? LOL !!They wonder why there is a nursing shortage ????? The old nurses are quiting !!
- Nov 23, '03 by barefootladyI did not say I was going to SC, I am looking into NC. I have family there that needs help and I know the money is better. I am going for an interview this week. Grand Strand is HCA and
HCA is the pits. I am not interested in working for that company again. Could say lots more but won't.
The least I have been quoted is 24.00 hr and there are weekend positions with benefits at 35.00 hr. I am really interested in one of these but need to get my foot in the door.
Ohio is paying real well. I have talked with an agency and been guranteed 48.00 hr. I can't go because of family, but it is something to file away.
We are low paid because we are women and because we will not stick together. I have worked a long time but I have never worked with a bunch of nurse's like the new ones that have come out in the last 3 years. Lazy, untrained and uninterested in training, loud and crude. I could say more but won't. Oh, sure, there are some who are new that are great, but they are already getting the burn out syndrome. I will keep my license current in WV, I will not sell my home right away, but I am looking forward to a new adventure and hope only half of the things I have been told are true. It will seem strange to be asked, not ordered, not mandated, not flexed off at a whim for a friend to work, have drugs in a pyxis, no counting. Lots of things I have seen are there to help make the job easier and stress lower. I can only imagine and hope it is all true. I will be there soon.
- Nov 24, '03 by wv_nurse 2003Good luck to you! Going into a new job is always a little scarrey, and nerve racking. Just go in with an open mind, and expect it to be a little better--but maybe not nirvana (and hopefully it WILL be nirvana! )
My husband has a good job, and with four kids, I don't want to relocate. I love where I live. I'd love to travel, but not a realistic option. Our local hospital is rumored to be looking for "agency" nurses--would love to find out what agency and volunteer--more money!!
Oh well, best of luck to you barefootlady!!
- Nov 26, '03 by nursey1barefootlady ,
sorry , I wasn't replying to your theard ....I was replying to amyslaters . I should have headed it better . Good luck to you !
- Dec 1, '03 by trishiegm ladies as a * old* nurse, ive been in this business for 29 years and have worked in several states ky ohio wv tenn va and texas i can tell you that almost all hospitals are the same just varying degrees of differences while i make more here in texas on the hourly rate than my last job in ohio they are constantly * callin* us off work by placing us on call for 3 bucks an hr....so the *big* pay raise i got by coming here has been nil look for the employer that gives uyou the least hassle,remember we all will work weekends holidays and off shifts until we can climb up from them. and yes many older nurses are leaving this profession in droves.we are gettin tired period but since i need to work to survive,,,,i'll continue to be a nurse. burnout is so bad in this profession and i think its cause no one ever thinks of nurses when it comes to ptsd we are never treated for this,,,we are told,its part of your job..live with it!! ty for lettin me vent and btw i am trying to move back to wv/ky/oh region thanks again
- Dec 12, '03 by DLHRNUSAFI am a experienced Nurse at CAMC 20+ years at this place.
I have been a NA, EMT, LPN, a medic and a RN in the USAF, which I am retired from now. I also have been teaching BLS, First Aide and ACLS. I have worked in the Nursing Feild since about 1973. I have a AD form UC 1985. I let CAMC 1 year a go to Putman Hospital to work and started with a increase in pay to $23 and I then returned to CAMC. Now woking Nights here just over $23 with $1 on the hour = $24. To make more money at CAMC your most Level, check out the additional pay raise you can get at their web site. I have choose not to do this because you end up doing additional papperwork and spending less time at the bed side. There is no pay diffence for BSN, but it will give you more options. I am frequenly looked over because I have not leveled or have a BSN. My complain is that of SOME some nurse managers with ADN, coworkers with a BSN or co wookers that has leveled are very pore managers or ineffective as bedside nurses. I just want have a chance to prove I should be paid more. To kept my pay I say where I am at. I have a varied experienc due to working here, LPN-Med/Surg, RN-Med/Sur, Medical ICU, IV Therapy, Surgery, Medica Rehab, CCU and Telemetry. I kept looking for options to vary my experince. Overall CAMC is good place to work
I am open to options of any kind in WV to increase my pay even to leave CAMC again if means better money and benifits. Why do I stay, My family and home is here. Drop aline for more info.Last edit by DLHRNUSAF on Dec 12, '03
- Dec 25, '03 by cna on her wayJust a little note, Babtist hospital pays 18.10 base pay for a new RN grad. I know because I work there as a CNA and I make 10.00 myself. I am starting a practical nursing program here in the fall of 2004. Me and my husband moved here 11 years ago and had actually considered moving back to Bluefield but decided against it because of the difference in nursing pay scales. I am 30 with 2 boys and we have made a life here even though I will always call WVa home. Oh by the way, LPNs start off somewhere between 13.00 and 15.00 an hour as new grads here. And 18.00 is normal for new grads with ADNs.
- Dec 25, '03 by barefootladyHi CNA,
Thanks for the info regarding salaries. I have not noticed a big difference on the hourly wage offered me by the facility but the agency pay is better there in NC. I am having some thoughts about going to Ohio instead. We have family in both places and I think I have been getting some of the old"why are you here Yankee?" Pay there is better and getting better all of the time. I do not think my daughter will ever return here. She is very happy with her new life there, even if she is losing a spouse, and does not want to come back to a "holler."
I hope everyone had a nice holiday and will be safe in the New Year.