Nurse wants to volunteer oversea.Register Today!
- by Candyn May 17, '12Hello there,
I worked at VA hospital and overheard surgeons talking about volunteering to foreign countries to perform surgery, health screening, and vaccinations etc. I asked them if they need nurses too and they said yes. I love to volunteer and my interest is to go as a group to third world countries where medical resources are limited and provide medical care. My question is who should I contact to. What is the name of an organization that do that?
Thank for response.
- May 23, '12 by musician's wifeI volunteer in Haiti through "Project Medishare." Great organization, life-changing experience. Check out their site for info.
- May 29, '12 by amygarsideI think the easiest and most direct way to find a good source is the surgeons/doctors themselves. Volunteering can be tough and rewarding at the same time. Kudos to you for planning to volunteer!
- Jun 7, '12 by Candyn@ Musician: I looked at the website. It is pretty expensive when I have to pay for ticket and $500, but I talked to some other people and they said it is normal. So thank for the info. I just want to make sure it is trust worthy organization since I pay that much money to volunteer and go to a country with them@ Amy: I used to work at VA in surgery area so I had lot opportunity to talk to one who involved but he is not there anymore. I work on floor right now at night and I rarely see doctors
- Jun 7, '12 by Candyn@Musician: do you mind to tell me why kinda stuffs do you do there?
- Jun 8, '12 by sauconyrunnerIf you have surgery experience you can look at
Doctors United Medical Missions
THose are two I can think of that provide surgical services in short term projects. I assume you are interested in the 2 week projects or so.
- Jun 8, '12 by NRSKarenRNI'm familiar with Global Health Ministry as a few of my colleagues volunteer with them + flyers at work.
It is normal for volunteers to pay their own way or fund raise for costs ~ about $2,500.
In home care, we collect all year long sealed unused dressings, OTC meds: vitamins, pain reliever, anti ulcer etc to donate.
"Volunteers are expected to help secure donated medications and materials and help solicit donations or sponsorships or make a personal donation to cover expenses."
Medicalmissions.org is a leading online resource for medical mission trips and international missions.
Medicalmissions.com lists international and US mission trips.
Hope you can find a trip to utilize your skills. Please come back and tell us about your experiences.
- Jun 10, '12 by MandaRN94I volunteered with MEDICO -highly recommend them. You do have out of pocket costs but they pay for lodging, food, med insurance. Well worth it and excellent experience.
- Jun 11, '12 by musician's wifeCandyn -
$500 isn't too bad when you consider they cover the flight from Miami to Haiti and back, plus room and board while you are there (and you can choose how long you stay), and you get a life-changing experience. You can also do fund raising through their site so family and friends can go online and donate. It's well worth it; I'm am planning on returning this winter with two of my friends.
Shifts are 12 hours starting at 0600 or 1800; they tell you if you are on days or midnights when you arrive. You start working right away and work every day that you are there (if you're there for a week...). You provide nursing care for patients with trauma, infections, and diseases we are not used to treating in the states. Supplies are short and sanitation is a bit of a joke but you get by with what you have. It's not easy - in fact it's hot, filthy, sometimes disgusting, but I never once asked myself why I was there. I returned appreciating all that we have available to us and I got to meet so many great people there - volunteers and haitians. I was exposed to their food and their culture and I saved lives; lives that would not have been saved if we weren't there. The experience is highly rewarding.
- Feb 9 by pa715A couple other ones are IVHQ, GVI, and Project Cure. You pay to do this, it's voluntary.