UTHSC-Houston Fall 2012 Applicants - page 35
by KRR2009 160,523 Views | 1099 Comments
Hello everyone! This thread is for everyone applying to the University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston. I believe they will be accepting applications from January 15-April 1, so the sooner the better! Their admission... Read More
- 0Feb 16, '12 by HemphiaTo thos of you who have not yet received a transcript evaluation, you can always call them to make sure that they have everything processed. I know I received mine, but I also had my application submitted by Nov 18-19th. Since it has been so long since my app, I know I am getting antsy..... lol! Less than a week till the information seminar and maybe some answers. I have all my questions from UTMB answered, now I am waiting on being able to ask the same of UTHSC. I sure hope that they are as informative as UTMB was, maybe even more I unfortunately asked some questions that UTMB was not ready to answer. That is ok.... I know that what I asked had to do with some new policies that they had just put into effect.
- 0Feb 20, '12 by heavykevyPathophysiology has a lot of concepts that are more easily understood with a greater understanding of things like osmosis of electrolyte solutions and concentrations of Hydrogen ions, how pH works, etc. A few concepts of patho so far closely related to some stuff in chemII, which was nice.I feel like it made the first test a bit easier for me, but it's surely doable without.I hope y'all get your questions answered for the most part at that info session! Unfortunately, you may notice that UTH isn't as organized as some other schools you've applied to, but when you need to know something, rest assured they'll let you know.
- 0Feb 23, '12 by jjlynnHey guys! I finally decided to share my angst with those that most understand it and give my poor husband a break! I'm all caught up on the 3 forums I'm interested in, so now I'm feeling a little better. From what I've seen so far, I have much in common with a few contributors. I've applied at UTMB, TWU, & UTHSC for Fall 2012. (As if waiting to hear from 1 school isn't stressful enough, right?!) So happy to know that I'm not alone though! Best of luck to everyone!
- 1Feb 23, '12 by HemphiaToday I went to the information seminar. I just don't know what to think at this point..... They seem to have many benefits and I still have my heart set on attending there though. They informed us on many things. I will list some of it below, and if anyone has questions, please don't hesitate to post on here or msg me.
Some of the information I was able to get was very informative.... They said that
* The number of applicants for the Fall 2012 was around 600.
* They will send out letters no later than April 15th, and that the UT Link should change, but that it may not change till April, but that regardless of if your link doesn't change, if you get a letter, well obviously
* That to be competitive your HESI CT should atleast be 800, and that each section of the HESI should be atleast 80%.
* When looking at the applications, they like to see that you have been going to school full time, or had (if your done) because they want to be sure that you can handle the work load. It is not a deal breaker they said, but is DEFINATELY looked at.... they have found that students who haven't gone full time have a higher attrition rate.
* They look at only your Pre-req GPA and Science GPA.... If you retake classes, they use the most frequent grade when calculating.
* To stand out on your application they want to see a GPA of 3.2 and even in some cases as high as a 3.5 (depends on the applicant pool). Once again they look at if you accomplished these grades as Full time or Part time.
* Can only take the HESI 2x's EVER, not over a length of time, but EVER..... And if you want to retake a section, you MUST retake the WHOLE test again.
* Your pre-req classes do not matter when they were taken, they do not expire, but they do PREFER that your sciences have been within the last 5 years.
* Clinicals are held in the Medical Center, Katy area, Woodlands, NW area, etc... So they are all over. They are 12 hour shifts, and you work the shift your assigned nurse works, so you could end up on nights....
* Classes are usually on Mon/Tues/Some on Wed
* Anything less than a 75 in their eyes is failing, and you must pass the exit exam at the end of each semester (but you have 3 attempts to pass)
* NCLEX pass rate for the students who graduated last spring was 98%, higher than TX overall pass rate of 88%.
I hope that this information is helpful.
- 0Feb 23, '12 by nyctransplantnice job @Hemphia!!!! I was there too Was that you asking all those questions [I mean, the one other than me ??? ] I can add a couple more things:
* the past accepting rate was about 80 applicants in the spring, 60 - summer, 150 - fall
* the accelerated BSN program is basically the same, except it starts in the summer. also, since it starts in the summer the sessions are shorter (12 weeks vs. 16 weeks); thus more challenging
* consideration into the accelerated program is random, but based on a previous bachelors; those not accepted into the accelerated program are automatically considered for the traditional program
* the program is 4 concurrent semesters with no break (that means, sessions include summer)
* some semesters have 2 clinicals, which run the whole semester (opposed to split half/half)
* estimated cost of the entire program is $about 16K - $17K (scholarship info will be sent after acceptances go out)
* students who have taken pathophysiology can petition for equivalency, but doesn't guarantee that they will accept the credits
By the way, I don't travel downtown around that time, and it was my first time in the 2 years I've lived here, and boy what an experience. From Tomball, it took about an hour and a half. Yikes! I'm gonna have to figure out a better way, route getting there if/when blah blah blah...
For those of you who haven't been down to visit the school, the closest parking garage is Garage 2. For the time I was there, it cost $8.
Hope that helps! Still waiting for that transcript eval!!! Good luck everyone