OHSU ABSN 2018-2019

Nursing Students School Programs

Published

Hey all!

Now that the application deadline has passed, I feel comfortable finally starting a post. Just curious to hear who else applied to this program. It's fascinating to me to hear about people's different experiences, stats, expectations, etc. I'm also wondering what other programs people might've applied to? I got my submission in for the Portland ABSN to FNP/DNP program as well.

Best of luck to everyone! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and perspectives.

Has anyone on the alternate list for the Portland ABSN heard anything from admissions? I am listed as "highly likely" but haven't received any calls/emails as of yet.

Hi Everyone -

Yesterday (4/13) I got an email admitting me into the Ashland ABSN Summer 2018 program! I was highly likely on the waitlist. So for those who are still waiting - they are making moves down the list!

Congrats frankiebee!!! Happy to hear it :)

Thank you!! @Breese28

has anyone on the portland waitlist heard anything yet? Considering the portland summer cohort is only 23 people i have a feeling even the "highly likely" candidates don't have much of a shot of getting off the waitlist...

I'm on the highly likely waitlist for the Portland campus and haven't heard anything yet

The Ashland campus takes 22 ABSN students. I was offered admission and was on the highly likely list also. You are "highly likely" to be admitted this year, based on the statistics of previous year's waitlists. The waiting game is the absolute worst, but don't give up hope yet

Hey all! I'm a student in the third year of OHSU's BSN program. Just wanted to share this guide that myself and a couple others helped make last year for Portland OHSU 3-year BSN new students. Unofficial OHSU SoN Frequently Asked Questions and Helpful Links 2017-18.pdf - Google Drive . It's one year old now, but still very relevant, not much at all has changed, and this guide would also likely be very helpful for ABSN students and students at the other OHSU campuses. It's unofficial only in that it's not written by OHSU staff, but we did run it by them for their approval! Hope it helps. Feel free to shoot any questions my way anytime at [email protected] and [email protected].

Specializes in ABS program.

Hello future nurses! I will applying for 2019 ashland cohort in the next couple weeks and have been wrapping up the final contents of my application. I would love to know (if you are comfortable sharing/PM) a brief application profile of those accepted to the 2018 cohort in Ashland. I hold a B.S. in business administration from 10 years ago, with a 3.05 GPA. I began to classes in January 2018 to fulfill my prerequisites (most were not covered with my previous degree and past the seven year requirement) and officially rediscovered my passion for biology and life sciences! My prerequisite GPA is 4.0, and of course, only marginally raised my cumulative GPA.

I'm curious to know how many people were admitted or waitlisted, particularly with low cumulative GPA score. I understand it is one factor for the admission officers, and would like an idea on the success rate for candidates similar to myself.

@frankiebee maybe? Feel free to PM with any information if you are more comfortable.

Thank you and good luck to you all!!!

For those of you in this program already, I’m curious...

Can the Ashland do any clinical rotations at the Portland OHSU hospital? I would be interested to experience learning in a large regional hospital in addition to Southern Oregon.

And, do you know if they incorporate maternal health, med surge, psych, etc. together in clinicals or do they each have their own unit? Most schools I’ve looked at have their own clinical for each topic but 5 week chunks instead of an entire quarter. Maybe some questions for faculty but figured I’d throw it out here too.

And...anyone from out of state go??? I’m curious how easy it is to transfer your nursing license to practice in other states

On 4/20/2019 at 9:59 AM, LittleGrey said:

For those of you in this program already, I’m curious...

Can the Ashland do any clinical rotations at the Portland OHSU hospital? I would be interested to experience learning in a large regional hospital in addition to Southern Oregon.

And, do you know if they incorporate maternal health, med surge, psych, etc. together in clinicals or do they each have their own unit? Most schools I’ve looked at have their own clinical for each topic but 5 week chunks instead of an entire quarter. Maybe some questions for faculty but figured I’d throw it out here too.

@LittleGrey I am in the Ashland accelerated cohort right now. The Ashland students can not do clinical rotations at the Portland OHSU hospital. Students are placed at Asante and Providence for clinicals.

During summer term you will learn basic nursing skills and learn about the process of normal childhood development, normal pregnancy, and normal aging. Your clinicals will be in a skilled nursing facility, assisted living facility, and out in the community with childcare organizations.

During Fall term you'll be in a class called "chronic". You'll learn about management and care of chronic diseases like diabetes, stroke, etc. Your clinicals are on an inpatient rehabilitation floor and you also do some rotations to behavioral health, palliative care, and wound care. This is where you get your first introductions to psychiatric nursing.

During winter term you'll take "acute". During acute your "home" unit (where you spend most of your clinical days) will be a med/surg floor and you will do rotations (one 12 hour shift) to the emergency department, labor and delivery, surgery/PACU, ICU, and potentially the NICU if you are at Asante.

So to concisely answer your question, all the topics you asked about are covered in clinicals but there are not traditional "units" like I think you are referring to. Hope this helps!

+ Add a Comment