Help! New RN grad wanting to quit job.

Nurses New Nurse

Published

I need advice on whether to quit or not my job. I graduated this past may with bachelors degree in nursing. Throughout the nursing program I knew I wanted labor and delivery. I ended up applying to a hospital that is ninety miles away from home. What is killing me is the stress of working and not knowing what to do. I had three months orientation sounds like a lot but in reality its only thirtysix nursing days. I work night shift and its a lot calmer than days but even then I have a hard time going to work. I get really nervous and constantly sick to my stomach every single day even on my days off. When im off im just thinking of the upcoming days I have to work and cant fall asleep. The days I manage to fall asleep theres nothing in this world that can wake me up or get me out of bed. I just get up to the restroom and dont feel like eating most of the time. I cry everyday on the way to and from work I cry before going to sleep and on my days off. I lost weight and a lot of hair. I know its just a matter of time but I cant help feeling this way. As crazy as ot sounds I wish something happened to me wish I had an illness to actually he an excuse and quit. I feel sooo miserable every single day whether im working or not. The months I have been here five nurses have quit two of them new grads like me. When they talked to the directors it was caos amd they ended up leaving their resignation letters under the door. All advice is greatly appreciated in this time of need when doubts are consuming me.

Are you working in L&D now? Is there a hospital nearby you can apply to? What specialty would you like to work now? Just needing clarification before I answer so I don't make assumptions.

Also, my own opinion, I feel as though new grads should do at least one year, or minimum 6 months, of med-surg. It will give you an opportunity to be exposed to many patients with different issues and allow you time to decide which patients you prefer.

If you do not deal with this successfully now, or at least see it through to the end with your best effort, you will find yourself with the ADDED stress of starting over at a new job in addition to the same problems you are now experiencing. That is, if you can find a new job any time soon. Whether or not you resign tomorrow, next week, or next month, work on devising a plan to cope effectively. Do not continue to react to the environment at work, start to act in a proactive manner. You will grow as a result.

I will start by saying that adjusting to night shift is a beast all its own. I've been doing it for 3 years and sometimes it still feels just as difficult as when I first started. It helps to get into a routine, and to practice self-discipline. Be in bed no later than this time, force yourself up and out of bed by this time. If you have any hobbies (art, reading, yoga, running etc) try to devote 30-40 minutes of your time to a calming hobby or maybe just a cup of coffee and some music before you start getting ready for work. When you get home from work, try to redirect your thoughts AWAY from work. It's normal to come home and ruminate on the shift's happenings but I promise this will only stress you out more.

If you know in your heart of hearts that you want L&D, that's one thing, but I have friends who have had great success devoting a year or two to med surg, step down, one even started in ICU and then transitioned to L&D. You develop critical thinking skills and time management in these areas, something that will likely benefit you in the future when you trasfer to L&D, or wherever else you find that you may like!!

Good luck! Don't be discouraged! You worked hard to get here and you have years to go, unless you decide to choose a new career! It gets better with time :)

Hi,

I have worked L&D for 18 yrs. I have trained many new grads and have been there myself. My stomach in knots the first 6months then got progressively better over the next 6months. Total 1yr. to feel comfortable and like hey I've got this. It's hard to adjust to a new setting, new faces, etc. you need to get your time-management down. Have a piece of paper (your brain) on the first paper(s) have your pt info and on an attached piece of paper, have a timeline 09-10-11-12 etc. and next to each hour put your meds/procedures/v.s that are due with a box to check when you complete them. It helps a lot so you don't miss anything :) also you can set alarms on your phone as reminders. Do this quickly right after report before seeing your pt's after this you may get so wrapped up in stuff that you might not hv time. please PM me if I can be of any help w/questions etc. Hang in there, trust me it does get better. I remember those days of hearing decels in my sleep.

That lasted only a few months

. I remember sleeping until 2pm after getting home at 8:30pm. It takes a bit to get used to the shifts. Don't worry you got this! 90 miles is a lot!!! Can I ask where you live? I drive 50 and that's hard!

Specializes in Neurosciences, stepdown, acute rehab, LTC.

This sounds like a common new grad post.. I would encourage you to stay .. but why did so many people leave? Is there a better floor in the hospital to transfer to ?

+ Add a Comment