OSU Grad Entry 2018

Nursing Students School Programs

Published

Hello all! I hope to start this thread as the official Q&A for the applicants of the Ohio State Graduate Entry Masters of Nursing/Nurse Practitioner Program Summer 2018 enrollment! I am in the works of applying, getting my last letter of rec together and studying for the GRE. I'm so excited!! How about you??

@Midwifelife what professional service did you use for your essay?

@Midwifelife what professional service did you use for your essay?

Kibin! I love it. It's pretty reasonably priced and I've learned a lot about personal statement structure from it. Actually, you can use my url, and we both get 10 bucks off paper editing: kibin.com/ref/iFOQEIyz

I just happened to stumble upon this thread and figured I would offer an idea for those who were not accepted! For anyone who does not want to wait a whole year to try applying again, I would highly recommend applying to other programs whose deadlines have not passed yet, including accelerated BSN programs! I applied to the OSU cohort which began this past summer, and I did not get accepted. I didn't want to wait to try applying for the next cohort, I just wanted to start a program. So I found an ABSN program whose deadline was January 15, got all my materials in within two weeks, and then later found out I got accepted. My program started in May, actually a month before I would've started at OSU, and now I'm already halfway through my BSN. Once I graduate in August, I'm going to apply to traditional masters programs that I can complete while working full time. This route may not be for everyone, but for someone like me who was eager to get school started, it has been great. I'll be able to start working as an RN during what would have originally only been the start of my second semester of school had I reapplied and gotten accepted on my second attempt at OSU! Just my two cents :-)

Wow that's great advice armymusic!

Wow thank you all for this thread!! I have learned allot about what to expect. Im thinking of applying for the fall 2018 cohort. Have a BS in Anthropology and a BSN and 5 years nursing experince 4 of which is medsurg, but not a very strong GPA, i would love to do both CNM and WHNP ! I currently reside in the Dc/VA/MD area, would i have to relocate? Is it all online? Is there any advice anyone can offer up?

Specializes in Emergency, Disaster Medicine, Search and Rescue.

This thread is regarding the graduate entry option which is a combined RN/NP program. If you already have a BSN, you would apply to the traditional masters program, which is different. Good luck!

I'm planning on applying to the grad entry program this fall. OSU recently changed their requirements for pre-reqs, and you now must have all 5 completed by the time you apply instead of by the time you begin classes if accepted. I'm from Columbus and am having a hard time finding a way to take microbio, anatomy, and physio all during summer term since anatomy is a pre-req for physio at CState and they will not make an exception for me to take them at the same time. Does anyone have suggestions on where to take physio, preferably online? Thanks!

I took physiology at OSU Marion before taking Anatomy. I don't remember the perreqs, but I didn't need to do Anatomy first.

Hi, can anyone that started this summer tell me what your summer schedule is like?

I have classes:

M 1:30p-5:30p

T 8:30a-4:30p

Th 7:30a-11:30a

Then one online class due every Sunday night by midnight.

I study about 10 hours/week for the online class.

I study about 15-30 hours/week in addition to these hours to complete homework and study for exams or quizzes.

I meet with a study group every Saturday for 2-4 hours.

I meet with my lab partner and another lab group randomly for 2-4 hours a few times to practice for specific assignments.

My real school schedule with everything combined:

M 7am-8pm school

T 7am-8pm school

W free day/extra school assignments/extra work shifts

Th 6am-8pm school

F 7am-midnight work

S 8am-2pm school; 2pm-midnight family time

Su family time all day

Hello everyone! Just wondering if anyone who previously applied for OSU's Grad Entry Program would mind sharing their thoughts on the interview. Was it pretty standard interview questions? Anything you felt particularly difficult regarding the format?

I've never completed an online interview and feel so nervous not knowing what to expect! Thanks a lot for any responses.

From what I have heard from other classes, the interview questions have been slightly different every year. I don't remember my exact questions, but they were things like:

-Why do you want to be a [insert specialty here]?

-Tell us about your goals in the program? What do you hope to get out of it?

-How does your family feel about you attending this program?

I think there were only like 3 or 5 questions. You are given like 45 seconds to read the question and the instructions for the question tell you "You have 1 minute to respond to this question" or whatever. I think one question was like a one minute long response, one was 2 minutes and one was 3 minutes. They expect you to fill the entire time, so you need to be really good at editing yourself.

The nursing program open house I attended before the program gave out tips for the online interview. One that stuck with me was that they expected you to have the camera at a good angle, be well lit, be in a place without background distractions or other noises, and be dressed professionally. I put up lights in front of me, had my computer up on a bunch of textbooks, wore a suit and had my family leave the house so it was quiet.

I also looked up something like a list of 50 best interview questions from Forbes (what they recommended at the open house beforehand). I wrote out really good notes for the answers for all 50 questions, and then every day driving back and forth to work, I would practice some of the questions on the phone with my wife.

From what I can gather from my class, some specialties (like FNP) are insanely competitive, and people took great lengths to prepare in advance. Other specialties (like CNL) seem to only require a 3.0 and the ability to pay for school. I would estimate that 60% of my total class of all specialties over-prepared for the interview, and 40% did it spur-of-the-moment without preparation.

-Highlight what makes you unique from the other applicants.

-Decide what your motivating factor for wanting to do nursing over another healthcare field is. Carefully and subtly highlight this during every question.

-This program is completely time consuming (this is my second semester. 1st semester was 30-40 hrs/week. 2nd semester is 70-90 hrs/week). Demonstrate that you have an understanding of the commitment and that your family does as well. Plenty of people get divorced and similar during things like this. The school doesn't want that to happen to people. Show that your family is committed to your success as well.

If you get an interview, your chances are REALLY good! I think my class had about 300 applicants, about 120 got interviews and about 90 were accepted. If you have an interview, you're almost there!

+ Add a Comment