Interview Question

Nurses Job Hunt

Published

I had an interview for a job that involves nursing, but isn't direct contact with patients. It sounded so interesting that I applied and was interviewed. I thought the interview was going well until I was asked, "What changes would you bring to make this department more productive?"

Ok, first off, I have not had experience in this type of job and I stated that. I then gave an example of how I changed my current job when I was hired and stated that once I saw the workflow, it would be easier for me, being new, to see areas that are in need of improvement.

I felt her cringe and needless to say I did not get the job. Did I misunderstand what I was being asked? How would you answer that question? I love this company, and I would really like to get that job.

ps: I did email her to thank her,and she emailed me back and mentioned that this job would be opening again in fall and encouraged me to re-apply. She claimed she had a lot of well qualified candidates apply but did not give an exact reason why she chose another one over me.

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVICU.

One of the number one rules about interviewing is RESEARCH. Know the job you're applying for! She was most likely looking for you to have a foundational understanding for the company, mission statement, and department, and to tie one of your strengths into that answer. Know as much as you can about the place before you interview, because it shows you are serious! Interviews can be tricky!

Specializes in Education, Administration, Magnet.

I would have been honest (just like you were) and stated that recommending changes is always best to do after you have learned about the department and the work flow.

It was maybe your perception that this question got you, but it was probably a combo of things. I interview at least 3 people per week and never base my decision on one question.

Thanks, it is a standard question where I work, and while I can answer it for any nursing job pretty easily going with satisfaction scores and my history with raising them, I do not really know how I would relate that to a job I have no experience doing with co-workers that I do not yet know.

That's one of the stranger interview question's I've seen. How are you supposed to know what you would change without first knowing the day-to-day routine of the place? While you should definitely do your research about the company, I don't think that would've helped you with this type of question.

+ Add a Comment