Ultrasound technologist vs. RN

Nurses Career Support

Published

I am currently in a Radiologic Science program, but have been considering switching to nursing. After shadowing, I realized the only modality that I could see myself in was ultrasound, which was interesting and had the most patient interaction out of the other modalities. I also shadowed nursing on med-surg and really liked it. The patient interaction is really important to me and honestly before going into radiology I was always partial to nursing. I will finish with my bachelor's degree in Radiologic sciences in 2 years, but have 18 months in the ultrasound program. For nursing it would be 3 years longer, but without summers. I like both careers, but I am having a hard time choosing between them. If you could offer any advice or information about the future for both careers (such as salary, job outlook, stress level,etc.) I would really appreciate it.

P.S. I am going to school near the Kansas City, mo area

Specializes in retired LTC.

Just a comment ... I had an xray and ultrasound just this afternoon. I've said it before here, but those techs at my Radiology Center did not look stressed out. I could smell the smell of lunch somewhere and fresh coffee smell was always pervasive (like as in LUNCH TIME).

I had considerable difficulty oomphing up on to the world's highest procedure table. Took some considerable maneuvering but the tech was extremely helpful, patient and polite. I watched others' interactions with other pts and again, staff were terrific. Maybe I just utilize a great Radiology Center.

So to your issue. How much pt interax are you looking for? Quality versus quantity? Unless you find the 'golden nugget' type of nsg position, I doubt your nsg practice will afford much oppt'y for what you may be seeking. At least in the early stages of your nsg career.

On the other hand, nsg does offer financial & career variety but comes with the caveat that education and experience will likely be nec to find that 'golden nugget'.

As an US tech, there's prob a static wage ceiling that will max out. And career mobility upward will lead to ?

Nsg seems to be being outsourced to UAPs more & more. But technical ancillary staff seems to be needed regardless.

My posting here sounds like one I posted re dental techs/hygienists. Same pros & cons. I see the need here for these direct hands-on occupations. Case management, insurance, coding, etc can be done as home based. But can also be OUTSOURCED to a referral service centralized somewhere.

I've retired after many years. I don't know if I'd do it the same way again. I know I wouldn't refer any anyone to nsg except without their doing some SERIOUS PRE-research.

Ultrasonographer.... if you do decide to become one! I fully support that decision! Hands down! :yes:

I work in radiology and just got my RN. I would go for rad or US. Its rewarding and no poop to clean up. You interact with patients but are not ultimately responsible for them. I wish I had done radiology. Job market is great. Both are 6 figure jobs, but Iam in CA

+ Add a Comment