Just finished the MSN/Informatics

Nursing Students Western Governors

Updated:   Published

I think I'm the first graduate, from what they tell me. Ask away if you have questions! ?

Wow congrats! That is amazing0 2 months. Where di you find a job?

Specializes in Med/surg nurse, 9 years experience, 5 as travel.

I'm still blown away that you finished your BSN degree and MSN degree that fast....maybe with all your experience? I just finished my BSN degree in December of 2017...it took me much longer but I wasn't in a hurry. I do want to start the MSN informatics degree this year but at the moment it isn't available to Washington State residence, I guess there is some requirement that WA BON needs, but I'm not sure yet. So I'll have to wait until it's approved. I'd really like to know how you finished so fast, doesn't the CAP stone class take a full term?

Specializes in Outpatient/Clinic, ClinDoc.
javadown2 said:
I'm still blown away that you finished your BSN degree and MSN degree that fast....maybe with all your experience? I just finished my BSN degree in December of 2017...it took me much longer but I wasn't in a hurry. I do want to start the MSN informatics degree this year but at the moment it isn't available to Washington State residence, I guess there is some requirement that WA BON needs, but I'm not sure yet. So I'll have to wait until it's approved. I'd really like to know how you finished so fast, doesn't the CAP stone class take a full term?

No, capstone for informatics AS IT STANDS NOW can be done very quickly. It's just a powerpoint eval of your EMR. That said, the capstone may be the thing that washington wants changed so we shall see what it ends up being. In either case, the other two MSN tracks do not have capstones that take a full term either. ?

Specializes in RNC-OB, C-EFM; obstetrics, IT, Telehealth.

Thanks for this topic, featherzRN, MSN. I was considering a number of different options but your postings have tipped me over to the decision point to enroll in . They are evaluating my transcripts now. I'm going to enroll in the RN to MSN, Informatics program, since I'm an ADN. I saw on the WGU reddit a mention that there's a topic for accelerating, going through things quickly, but I couldn't find the subreddit that described those tips.

I work full time, but I work 3 12 hour shifts a week and can put every other waking hour into knocking this out. My employer will reimburse me up to 5K a year, 10K lifetime, so I plan to do one term this fall, and the next term next year, and hopefully get it done in two terms. It seems doable with utter devotion and commitment and I am ready to just get it done.

Thanks again for the inspiration.

Hello iam currently in the RN TO BSN at and thinking about the informatics MSN. Did you already have a job in informatics or experience? I am reading a lot of different post where they state it doesn't matter the degree, what matters is the experience.

Specializes in DD, Peds, Informatics.

I'm scheduled to start in July 2019. Is it difficult to get a job without any informatics experience? Did you have any prior to starting?

Specializes in RN.

I did the RN-BSN with . How was the in field experience? How hard was it finding placement (if it’s something like that).

How is it finding a job post graduation from informatics?

Hi Erin...I hope you see this

I've always been interested in the field of nurse informatics.  I will be going back to school for my MSN and just recently discovered that has a Nurse Informatics pathway.  I have a couple questions:

1.  What is the average current salary (2022) for positions in this field of nursing?

2.  Is there a great demand?

3.  It's been about 2 years since you graduated.  Based on your experience with informatics in the "real world," Would you advice a BSN to pursue this MSN pathway ? 

4.  Do you feel your MSN from WGU prepared you for the actual work you do?

Thank you

George

+ Add a Comment