Should i even go back to nursing again?

Nurses Career Support

Published

I failed nursing school. I failed at the beginning at fundamentals. My school has me on the waiting list for next semester. Truth is i may never be accepted back.I been depressed for the past few weeks. I just cant figure out why i failed. I read the chapters vigorously. Did practice questions and read rationales. When the exams day comes, i think i did good (around 74 or above) but my scores come back in the 50s and 60s. Im not use to getting those type of grades in school.

What i wish to understand is how i failed. My school has a policy: no students are allowed to see exams after they have taken it. So i never could see what i did wrong. So i will never know why i failed with a D. There is another nursing RN program near by and i could start next month. However, im afraid to fail again. Im afriad to go through all that hard work and get nothing out again. Im afriad of wasting time when i should be pursing a career by now. IM 23 ALREADY TURNING 24 soon.

A part of me wants to leave nursing behind and pursue a different career path. Another part of me wants to stay because i already have alot of pre-request like anatomy . psychology, sociology, etc. Plus i got As in all of them!

What do you guys suggests? Im open to any ideas right now

Specializes in Cardiac (adult), CC, Peds, MH/Substance.

Well, what do you want to do?

Your experience is unusual. Most schools give exam feedback and mentorship, in an effort to mentor you and help you succeed.

Was this a for profit school?

I went to a city college. The tuition was very affordable compared to other schools. I knew from the start I would have to teach myself, education this cheap comes with a price. My grades improved over time but I barely scratched an 80 on these exams.

as of the moment I only want to do either a short 1 year program or continue and get my bachelors degree.

Specializes in Emergency Nursing.

When you took the exams, was the problem that you saw the answer somewhere but couldn't recall it? Did it look like stuff you never studied before? It's fine to try again but make sure this next shot, you aren't repeating the same study habit. You should take an exam and come out feeling like you got a 100 or at least an 8. Not coming out thinking you got a C. Remeber these are people you are going to helping. This is your training. Although may not use everything, you still need to soak up as much as possible. Good luck.

Specializes in Cardiac (adult), CC, Peds, MH/Substance.

Perhaps it's time to consider options that would be more to your learning style? It doesn't sound like they were willing to teach you, or that they did it in a way you didn't learn.

Specializes in ICU.

Consider RespTherapist school or PA. You get to put up with half the crap we do from patients but, maybe more from MD's.

Specializes in Emergency Nursing.
Consider RespTherapist school or PA. You get to put up with half the crap we do from patients but, maybe more from MD's.

Honestly, this isn't really a matter of OP not being able to decide on nursing. No offense but if you can't get through the first semester of nursing school, RT isn't going to be much easier. And don't even think about PA programs. You need to correct your study habits. Once you get that down, you will be set. There are clinics on campus and study skills classes you can take. Also, YouTube has a variety of videos that help you learn different techniques for studying. I wish you well on this journey but I truly hope you look into that.

I was going to say the same thing. If I can't do first semester nursing. How am I going to pass the others? My study skills was enough to breeze through my anatomy and psychology courses. However, I seem to be struggling with nursing. I gave nursing everything I had. I even tried reading out loud. My little brother is in RT school and doing fine, which is just embarrassing.

Are there people who just aren't cut out for these type of stuff? Because I think I'm one of them.

Specializes in ICU.
Honestly, this isn't really a matter of OP not being able to decide on nursing. No offense but if you can't get through the first semester of nursing school, RT isn't going to be much easier. And don't even think about PA programs. You need to correct your study habits. Once you get that down, you will be set. There are clinics on campus and study skills classes you can take. Also, YouTube has a variety of videos that help you learn different techniques for studying. I wish you well on this journey but I truly hope you look into that.

I was going to say the same thing. If I can't do first semester nursing. How am I going to pass the others? My study skills was enough to breeze through my anatomy and psychology courses. However, I seem to be struggling with nursing. I gave nursing everything I had. I even tried reading out loud. My little brother is in RT school and doing fine, which is just embarrassing.

Are there people who just aren't cut out for these type of stuff? Because I think I'm one of them.

You made it into Nursing school. That is really hard for many people. Prior to that you took some weed out courses like Biology, Micro Biology, AP I & II, General and Organic Chemistry and guess what you ACED ALL those classes. Maybe not everything I listed but, you got ALL A's as you claim.

The material sounded like it bored you. That stuff is boring, but essential. I suggested RT because it is not structured like nursing school.

If you like the human body, maybe just concentrate on one big area like RT or Perfusionist. Find what makes you happy and not because you already have taken X amount of classes and your 23 going on 24 blah blach. There are people 50 trying to get into nursing school.

I only got an A in my psychology and anatomy courses. I didnt do as good in micro C+ lol but it didnt count as req to enter nursing school. And yes RT only work with specific organ system which is easier to handle than nursing which works with ALL body systems. Based on my 4 exams i took, i improved on the last two and finals. I think i may have failed because i wasn't use to the type of questions, and didnt prepare for nursing. I had no idea that the questions style was going to be completely different from the type of questions on my anatomy exams.

Specializes in ICU.

^The Truth, so you're not an A student..well move on to something else. Find a passion. Ex If you like working on cars do that.

EmpowerRN.com website has some great study tips. There are so many other great RN student websites and Youtube vlogs.

+ Add a Comment