Jury found me not guilty

Nurses Criminal

Published

Hello and thank you in advance for any input you may have. I want to be a nurse and I am at the very beginning of this journey. Before I start down this path and get crushed I am trying to do as much research as I can. I have read many posts on here regarding convictions and I know that it will all come down to the BON. I still can't help but look for reassurance that it's going to be ok and that I can in fact be a nurse.

I went through a very ugly divorce that lasted quiet sometime. We have been separated for 5 years and the divorce was finalized just over 3 years ago now. My divorce was so ugly that I was accused of child abuse. I was arrested and I took it to trial. I was advised against doing this because if I lost the trial I would face 5 years in prison. I couldn't take a deal, I couldn't be quiet or scared I had to fight because I did not abuse my children and to me anything less than a not guilty would make people question otherwise. The fact that this even happened still makes me feel shameful. You would think that was enough ugly for a lifetime, but my ex husband did not. I ended up arrested again but this time for domestic violence.

I was technically guilty of this charge because I threw an empty shoe box at him during an altercation that we had and by FL statute that was enough. I was given pre-trial diversion, completed the requirements and adjudication was withheld. Can anyone point me in the direction of resources or the steps I should take to make sure I will be able to get a license before I start down this path? Do I have to go through nursing school and then wait to find out?

Nope. No reason to wait. Google "(Your state) BON contact" - this should take you to a website & number to call. Ask them before you invest any money. Heck, you can call tomorrow! Don't stress over it.

You sound motivated and ready. Good luck!

Thanks so much for your response. I was hoping to find something on my the BON site that would indicate I might be alright. No info there so I will call.

I don't know how the FL BON works but here in CA, you can get different info every time you talk to a different person. I had a few "issues" from my past and called the BRN before I started school to see if it would be a problem when it came time to apply for my license. I was told it would not and that I should continue with my schooling. Fast forward 2 years, and my license was initially denied based on these past incidents. After nearly a year of fighting them, I finally got my license but it is a "probationary license" and as a new grad, its very difficult to find a job. I really wish the CA BRN would have been more transparent when I first called them. I would have sincerely reconsidered going through nursing school. I would recommend calling a few different times and talking to different people... and get their names! Hope it all works out for you.

I don't know how the FL BON works but here in CA, you can get different info every time you talk to a different person. I had a few "issues" from my past and called the BRN before I started school to see if it would be a problem when it came time to apply for my license. I was told it would not and that I should continue with my schooling. Fast forward 2 years, and my license was initially denied based on these past incidents. After nearly a year of fighting them, I finally got my license but it is a "probationary license" and as a new grad, its very difficult to find a job. I really wish the CA BRN would have been more transparent when I first called them. I would have sincerely reconsidered going through nursing school. I would recommend calling a few different times and talking to different people... and get their names! Hope it all works out for you.

Good advice from somebody who learned the hard way. Also, you should consult with an attorney, if only once. Get a referral for one who is familiar with dealing with boards of nursing. Referral service here: TAANA Executive Office - Home.

+ Add a Comment