Marijuana and IPN

Nurses Criminal

Published

I tested positive for marijuana in a random drug screen. Now I'm in the IPN program. 5 years no alcohol, random drug screens and 4 mandatory twelve step meetings a week. Really?!? Anyone know how I can get out of this earlier? What would Board of Nursing do to me? I need a beer lol.

If you mess up IPN they'll revoke your nursing license. How badly do you want this career? And there is no early release from IPN. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Specializes in OR, Nursing Professional Development.
I need a beer lol.

That's your reaction to being placed in a program for a positive drug test? Perhaps do some self-reflection and realize that just maybe you do have a problem? The BON isn't out to get you; they're tasked with protecting patients. A nurse with a positive drug screen can be a risk to patients- sure, they may not have been under the influence when working, but there's no way to prove or disprove that.

Specializes in Psych ICU, addictions.

As you've just discovered, marijuana use is incompatible with a successful nursing career. Now you need to decide which one you want more.

If you really want to continue nursing, then as the saying goes, "suck it up, buttercup." Complete the IPN--which doesn't release anyone early, BTW--and do all that is asked of you. That will keep you from getting in trouble with the BON and let you get through this with your license intact.

And keep in mind that you'll not get a second chance with IPN. If you fail a drug screen while in it, or complete the program and end up being reported a second time for a positive test, you will almost certainly stand in front of the BON. And BONs are notoriously unforgiving.

As to whether you have a substance abuse problem, that is up to you to decide. You may or you may not--one positive drug test doesn't necessarily an addict make. Maybe take this time to self-assess.

Best of luck.

Beer is NOT a crime! I've had a lot of "self-reflection" lately. To which I have learned how great I truely am! Everyone makes mistakes. You can always count on fellow nurses to put you down instead of try to build you up. I've had 30 years to see what puts patients at risk. Thanks for the judgement.

Thank you for your response. I've learned a lot about my fellow nurses in this program. There is nothing worth risking my career for. I have no problem staying clean. Maybe I'll change my angle in nursing and help people in recovery. My eyes have been opened.

Thank you for your response. I'll save the beer for 5 years. Yes, my career IS that important.

Specializes in Psych ICU, addictions.
Thank you for your response. I'll save the beer for 5 years. Yes, my career IS that important.

You will find that life without beer (or any alcohol) is not as bad as you think it might be.

There is a great website called Hello Sunday Morning. It's Australian-based but open to everyone. It's a site for those who have decided to stop drinking for any reason, i.e., they're all not necessarily declaring themselves alcoholics. Some just want to cut back or take a break for a while to see what happens. It might be worth checking out, especially since you're going to be into abstinence for the long haul.

I'm on the same boat. I started my contract when I was 19. I literally just got my nursing license and smoked pot at college- not even practicing yet- and I had to sign off 5 years of my life. Including intensive outpatient therapy the first 6 weeeks, ha! I couldn't even have a drink on my 21st birthday. I was going to try and fight to get out early, but I don't want ipn to retaliate against me if I loose the battle. I jump through enough hoops already! It sucks but it's what we have to do to keep our nursing license. The best advise I can give is that it does get better after time. It becomes a part of your daily routine and I've met some of the best nurses in my support group meeting.

Specializes in Main O.R. and CVOR.

Hi Nurse0908, how was it the last 6 mos of your contract? what all do you have to do to get out. i haven't had anyone in my nurse group "graduate" from IPN yet. i'm 5mos away and want to save money now if i have to do more tests, etc to get out. i'm good with any test they want to do, just want to be prepared financially . thanks for any info!!

+ Add a Comment