Nurse License w/ Juvenile Arrest (IL)

Nurses Criminal

Published

Almost 10 years ago when I was 16, I was arrested for shoplifting. I was taken to a police station, fingerprinted, released to my parents, where I later had to pay fines. Never went to court. Never had any other consequences. I also never have had this show up (or at least no employer or school has ever brought it up to me) on any background check, even fingerprint background checks on both a state and FBI level.

When applying for my LPN license in Illinois, there was a question about having any convictions. I checked "no." After passing the NCLEX, I received paperwork in the mail and sent that in w/ the $50 requested. I sent this out on a Monday, and one week later on the following Monday I received an email saying that I am prohibiting from practicing at this time because I have a deficiency. The email asked me to describe in detail what happened on a specific date and to get certified court documents w/ the official court seal.

I went to the courthouse the next day, they looked up my record (including my juvenile record) and they couldn't find ANYTHING. Strange to me that the courthouse can't find anything on me, but apparently the BON can.. and seem to be holding it against me! I had the courthouse print out a background check for the year in question w/ the "no records found" result, and stamped it with the official seal. I also wrote a letter explaining everything. I mailed this all that same day (Tuesday).

It is now Friday, (only 3 days from when I sent the letter) but I'm wondering how long it will take for my license to post. I doubt they will deny my license for a "record" that even the courthouse can't find, but I'm sure it'll delay my license :banghead: Has anyone been in this position before? How long did it take to get your license? I have a job waiting on my license to post so this whole process is stressing me out!

On another note, two of my classmates who didn't have any deficiencies had their license posted online 5 days after sending in the money and paperwork which is crazy to me because I'm sure it took at least a few of those 5 days in the mail. Not going to lie, I'm a little jealous :unsure:

Specializes in Education, FP, LNC, Forensics, ED, OB.

Welcome to allnurses.com

Thread moved to a forum for replies from those with similar issues.

Update: I got my license!! :up: All I had to do was go to the courthouse, get the documents (for me, it was just a background check that said "no records found") w/ the official court seal. I also had to write a letter explaining what happened. I mailed these things Tuesday evening, the BON got it Thursday, and the following Wednesday my license posted!

Just a word of advice, if you're dealing with the Illinois BON, disclose ALL arrests, juvenile or not. Don't let the words "conviction" throw you off. If you were arrested and fingerprinted, no matter how long ago, it will show up for the IL BON!! I've never had this issue come up before even with fingerprint checks for work and school. I didn't have anything show up on my record at the court house either, yet I still had to explain myself.

Hi there!

Im currently in the same situation in IL have passed my RN boards in june and had been waiting for my license, i did not receive any letter or email i found out today by calling, i had an arrest 8 years ago when iwas 14 for shoplifting, i did not go to court, it was station adjust and i was released to my parents, i was told the record had been disposed, my only thing is the arrest as well which i never had expunged bcs i never had problems before and didnt know it otherwise i wouldve done it along time ago!!

Let me know any updates i will be going to the court tomorrow and mailing everything and starting my expungement process.. so disheartening after all the hard work :(

Axm611291 - I know it is very disheartening to hear that after all your hard work, but the process wasn't too difficult for me. I sent in court documents (which was just a background check saying "no records found" stamped with the seal) along with a letter and got my license just a few days later. I did not have to get anything expunged. The courthouse couldn't even find anything on me.. Kind of hard to expunge a "record" that the court can't find. Good luck with everything!!

Tha ks so much for your help, my license is posted i just secured my job offer!!

Robert Rita

Chairmen of Occupation and Licensing(House of Representatives Il)

708-396- 2822

Please make a call voicing concern regarding misleading question using conviction vs all arrests. Also Administrative Code state's juvenile and arrests not followed by conviction are not reason to deny license.

+ Add a Comment