New grad hired in psychRegister Today!
- by magnoliophyte Nov 2, '11I wanted to post this here somewhere, I'm just too happy.
I'm a new-grad RN, got my license in July 2011.
I was having, as almost all new grads, a very tough time getting a job. Lots of interviews, but just as many rejections. Well, one day I got offered a job in a psychiatric hospital -- nailed the interview and I start in a couple weeks!
I'm really looking forward to it, as psych was always the most interesting part of nursing school for me.
The place I'm going to be working at is no joke either, it's almost all involuntary patients -- so I'm really looking forward to the challenge of dealing with patients who very much do not want to be there, but need the help very badly. It's exactly the kind of work that in my head feels rewarding.
- Nov 2, '11 by turnforthenurseRNGood luck and congratulations!
- Nov 3, '11 by linsmirnNew grad, psych nurse starting in a week, super excited. Psych is also where I wanted to be, all my friends dont get it because all of them are either med-surg or tele and one ER. I majored in psychology before I became a nurse and its the area I always wanted to work in. Cant wait.
- Nov 3, '11 by mangopeachCongrats!!! I graduate next May and want to do Psych as well. Good luck to all you new grads!
- Nov 9, '11 by amaterasu912Congrats! I'm a new grad too, and I have an interview at a behavioral health hospital next week, keeping my fingers crossed
- Nov 9, '11 by MrChicagoRNto you all for your enthusiasm
- Nov 10, '11 by laalaa99I am doing my psych rotation now in school. I am interested in this field but perhaps in a pedi unit. What is the starting pay for these nurses?
- Nov 10, '11 by MrChicagoRNA Staff psych nurse will receive the same pay and benefits as any other staff nurse in the same institution.
If it's a free standing behavioral health setting, comps and benefits should be competitive to the area.