What to do? - page 2
by lw34 | 1,605 Views | 23 Comments
I'm not sure what to do. I'm currently a pre-nursing student and have a year of pre-reqs. left before applying to clinicals. The reason that I am becoming a nurse is because my husband wants me to. Now please don't get me... Read More
- 4Jan 18, '13 by PennySI am sorry but a kind and loving husband would not threaten to divorce you if you pursued your dream. Please do not go to nursing school just to please him. You will be miserable. Your husband sounds extremely controlling. You need to sit down with him and have a long talk about your future.
- 0Jan 18, '13 by ChristineNQuote from lw34Do you want to be a probation officer? Do you want to do something else with criminal justice?I actually started out as a Criminal Justice major and wanted to be a probation officer but after my arm was broke in a training accident my husband wanted me to find something safe and strongly encouraged me to switch majors to nursing. The pre-reqs are completely different and I only had one semester left before graduating with a BS in Criminal Justice and a minor in Psychology. He's made it very clear though that if I went back to C.J. it would mean a divorce. He said he dosen't ever want to get that phone call again.
There is no way that my husband would ever tell me what to do or not to do with my life. Even though I was an RN when we met, we have had the hypothetical "what if I ever want a career change" and he would be fine with it. Really it is not his place to stop me if I decide to leave nursing (not that I am thinking about it).
- 2Jan 18, '13 by zoe92Don't become a nurse because your husband says so. Nursing is still not the safest career & you must really want to do it, otherwise it is not worth the hassle. I live in Maryland & know quite a few people with criminal justice degrees. Only two are parole officers. The rest got involved working in the government (federal & state). I also know a couple people who are court commissioners (also called magistrates & justice of the peace). There are a lot of options out there. I would recommend finishing your last semester of school & get that bachelor's! It'll open doors.
- 1Jan 18, '13 by queseraseraHi! We're in 2013 and you don't have to listen to what your husband wants you to do!
You can be anything... if you want to be a probation officer, do it.
If you want to make balloon animals for a living, go for it.
Your life is yours, no matter how kid and caring your husband is persuing a career you don't want because he wants you to will just make you hate him for it later.
- 0Jan 18, '13 by Nurse2B2016Quote from PennySCouldn't have said it better. He is controlling. And I would do what makes you happy bc it sounds like no matter what he will threaten divorce for any thing u do in life he isn't happy woth. with.I am sorry but a kind and loving husband would not threaten to divorce you if you pursued your dream. Please do not go to nursing school just to please him. You will be miserable. Your husband sounds extremely controlling. You need to sit down with him and have a long talk about your future.
- 0Jan 18, '13 by Peninah7Satisfy YOUR dreams, do what your heart desires, you deserve it!! And whoever doesn't agree or approve of what makes YOU HAPPY and COMFORTABLE maybe doesn't deserve you. I'm defiantley on the outside looking in, but maybe HE should pursue a nursing career and make himself happy.