What I'm most worried about!!
- 0Jul 10, '13 by collegegirl101The thing that worries me the most about nursing school is learning how to properly use needles and do IVs and things along that nature. I'm most nervous that I won't catch on and won't know what I'm doing! I want to be able to make it as comfortable and painless as I can for the patients and I have a fear that I won't be able to do it! This really gives me doubts about nursing school and I think I'm overreacting and having too much anxiety when I haven't even gotten to that point of learning how to do it. I guess I'm just worried that ill make it through nursing school and then get to that point and won't be able to do it and all my hard work was for nothing. Any advice or has anyone gone though this point yet and want to share their experience?! I would really appreciate it.
- 0Jul 10, '13 by Mandy0728I honestly feel the exact same way sometimes and I think everyone does! I just applied for spring semester so I haven't started yet either, but I always freak out about not being able to remember alllllll the info we learn and actually retain it over 2 years. Hand in there! YouTube videos help
- 0Jul 10, '13 by layluhh14I have attempted to start one IV and gave two shots SQ! You will be just fine. I am not going to lie, you will be nervous with the IV BUT you will surprise yourself. I missed the person's vein, but they had rolling veins. It took the actual experienced nurses about 4 tries to get one in! My hand was as steady as could be. My problem is tying the tourniquet tight!! Always remember that!! Practice practice practice!! Shots? They are a piece of cake. You will be just fine!! If I can do it, I know you can!!
- 2Jul 11, '13 by Devon RexHello!
Your feelings are normal and the good news is that it only takes some practice. Usually the lab has a plastic arm that you can practice with (although it's a lot tougher than a real arm), but at least you get to practice the technique.
I say let that be the least of your worries. Anything mechanical can be mastered with practice. Worry more about learning to do med calculations correctly, drug classifications, common drug names, and diseases.
Go for it! You can do it!
- 0Jul 12, '13 by ant2coryQuote from Mandy0728My concern is also being able to retain all the infoI honestly feel the exact same way sometimes and I think everyone does! I just applied for spring semester so I haven't started yet either, but I always freak out about not being able to remember alllllll the info we learn and actually retain it over 2 years. Hand in there! YouTube videos help
That really scares me sometimes!