Non-Typical ?? Help Decide on Summer Classes

  1. Background info: the faculty at my school are currently on strike...Its in its second week now :uhoh21:

    My dilemma is this:
    I need to take a summer class (A&P2). Its my last co-req, and I don't want to take it once nursing classes start this fall. My preference was to do it in the Summer I session.

    However, the strike has placed Session 1 in a precarious position. If the Spring has to be extended, then Session 1 will probably have to be canceled. So, it is not clear if there will be a Session 1 at all.

    I could register for Session 1, and risk having it canceled. Or register for Session 2, which is more likely to take place, even though I wanted to have a small break between summer class and fall semester.

    I would of course, then be very upset, if Session 1 still went on as planned, and my opportunity was wasted.

    If I don't register for the class now, (Session 1 or 2), I might not be able to get in at all later. Taking it somewhere else isn't really an option, due to transportation issues, and costs...

    Please, I need some clear thinking advice! I feel like I *should* just register for session 2, to guarantee having the class, but I really don't want to! :trout:
    •  
  2. 5 Comments

  3. by   GottaGetIn
    UGH!
    Can you take it at another college and transfer it?

    Can you register for both sessions and cancel one?

    Can you register for session one now, and if another week goes by and they're still on strike register for session 2?

    I've never heard of a faculty strike. But I'm thinking that the school will do anything possible to avoid it being super lengthy. You'd think for $$ reasons that the school would want to resolve it so they can get 2 summer sessions=double the tuition for the summer.....
  4. by   Sarah LnDHopes
    Thanks for your reply GottaGetIn... In the end, I registered for the summer 2 session.

    The rumor mill is predicting another week at minimum for the strike, which really doesn't look good for session 1.

    The school is going to have to honor its commitment to spring class students, and I don't see how they could do that, other than by extending the spring semester to make up those days... Makes my a little annoyed because I was supposed to take this class this Spring, but I got lazy, and just figured I'd get it done over the summer.
  5. by   justme1972
    Quote from GottaGetIn
    UGH!
    Can you take it at another college and transfer it?

    Can you register for both sessions and cancel one?

    Can you register for session one now, and if another week goes by and they're still on strike register for session 2?

    I've never heard of a faculty strike. But I'm thinking that the school will do anything possible to avoid it being super lengthy. You'd think for $$ reasons that the school would want to resolve it so they can get 2 summer sessions=double the tuition for the summer.....
    That is my suggestion...take it at another college.
  6. by   Sarah LnDHopes
    Thanks for that suggestion, I did address that in my original post. Other community colleges are too far for me to travel to, and I can't afford to take the class at any of the nearby 4-year universities.

    The strike was tentatively settled today, pending union vote. So I guess I just have to wait for them to announce if Summer 1 is on as scheduled. I have a feeling it will be, so for that I'm grateful.
    Last edit by Sarah LnDHopes on Mar 25, '07
  7. by   HeartsOpenWide
    Where I live there is only one J.r. College and one University college for the next 500 miles, so for ME, to be safe I would take the 2nd course so I could be guaranteed. I am in my second semester of my first year of nursing; I can not even imagine taking A&P, my life is so busy right now, and there is so much we have to already know for pathophysiology and Pharmacology I could not do it. I put a great deal of time into pre-req's alone.

close