How do I evaluate a sthethoscope?Register Today!
- by tinks599 Apr 23I must have a stethoscope by day one of my Nursing 1300 (first) course. I have a short list of must-have equipment. Sthethoscope a vary greatly. My MIL (a retired nurse) recommends "One with double tubes that are then contained in one tube with a single chest piece that picks up high and low sounds based on pressure." She said Litman is good, but then said $300 range.Wow! I intend to keep this for years, but I need a good value for my money. Advice on make/model and when to or not to skimp on price is greatly appreciated.
- Apr 23 by EllTee2BI don't agree with the "two tubes" advice he/she gave. Your basic Littman's classic II SE should do you just fine (one tube). Price range for these around $100 or so if I am not mistaken.
- Apr 23 by maddiemA basic Littmann is $80. The more advanced models are $100-250ish. The basic Littmann is very good. I would go with that. Great acoustics.
- Apr 23 by JmosesmackeyIf I were you I would go ahead and get the Littman master cardiology stethoscope I have this one and it works absolutely wonderfully! Plus the website I got it from will engrave it for free so hopefully no one will take it! I had a cheap one at first and then bought this one and am so glad i did. Plus it has what your retired nurse was saying to get, here is where I got mine they have quite a few colors. 3M Littmann Master Cardiology Stethoscope: Caribbean Blue 2178
- Apr 24 by runsalotI would get the 80 dollar range one for school. Sometime things can walk away. Save you or your families money. You will hear every you need to hear on a littman classic or the mdf
- Apr 24 by tinks599Ok, so a solid, basic scope...I think I have found two. Thoughts on either of these?
Litman Classic II SE $80
Litman Master Classic $99
Not a huge difference in price so I'm wondering if there is a big difference in functionality.
- Apr 24 by IrishIzRNLook at ultrascope. It will run you about $100 plus engraving. The warranty any be beat. I had to replace my entire earpiece...got that and all new tubing for $7. It's a great stethoscope and a great price and a fabulous warranty.
- Apr 24 by turnforthenurseRNI had a Littmann Classic II S.E. in school and so did a lot of my other classmates. It's great. All Littmanns have a tuneable diaphragm, so essentially you could use one side and hear both high-pitched (diaphragm) and low-pitched (bell) sounds with just a simple change in pressure.
- Apr 24 by IrishIzRNQuote from turnforthenurseRNI had a Littmann Classic II S.E. in school and so did a lot of my other classmates. It's great. All Littmanns have a tuneable diaphragm, so essentially you could use one side and hear both high-pitched (diaphragm) and low-pitched (bell) sounds with just a simple change in pressure.
Not accurate...there are single sided littmann stethoscopes out there. I have one....it is a high end cardiology.