Fall 2012 Microbiology Students -- STAND UP! - page 8
Since we had these threads when I was in A&P I and II, and I thought I'd start one for Microbiology. Anybody else delving into the world of bacteria and viruses this fall? Let's start a support thread! Let's share our victories... Read More
- 0Sep 6, '12 by wordsofmymouthQuote from Ladylynn6My first test is coming up and I haven't really figured out a good way to study. I'm thinking I need to break out the flashcards for most of these bacteria. I used flashcards in A&P maybe once and didn't care for them, but for micro they might help! Good luck on your test!I'm loving lab so far. The hands-on stuff is fascinating. My only complaint is my chair is so low, some days I may as well sit on the floor.
As for lecture, I'm still trying to find my sea legs. I don't have my study system figured out yet, and it's making me crazy. First test is Tuesday. I've got to get this studying thing figured out!
- 0Sep 6, '12 by LimikSo we had our first hands on lab yesterday and I have to say I am feeling a little discouraged! We did aseptic transfers and streak plates of several different bacterias and I feel as though I may have messed up on my technique for my last streak plate. We get points for if our samples colonize or not so I won't know until our next lab next week whether I was successful or not. I enjoyed the process of learning about how to do everything and looking at slides through the microscope, but I can't shake the feeling of failure for not doing as well as I would have liked. I am still really enjoying the class, just hoping I did better than I think I did!
- 0Sep 6, '12 by SopranoKrisQuote from sapadgettWe did the same thing in lab yesterday. Won't know until Monday how well my streak plates came out. We had to transfer from a broth with 2 bacteria mixed together, so when we sample our plates on Monday, we can see how well we isolated our colonies. One of the bacterium was S. marsecens so it'll appear red in contrast to the E. coli. We'll definitely be able to tell with the naked eye if our streak techniques were good.Really liking this class! We did our first real labs yesterday...aseptic transfers and streak plates using E. coli. I guess I'll find out Monday if I was successful or not! Lol
I *LOVE* lab!!! I wish we could have it every day. It's so much fun
- 2Sep 6, '12 by Blue Felt FedoraWe did aseptic transfer and spread plates on Tuesday. My group's transfers were perfect, my partner's spread plate was great, and mine had a hole in the middle. In my defense, we were pretty rushed when we did it (four transfers and two spread plates in 10 minutes!) and my instructor wasn't too concerned. He assured us we'd have more opportunities to practice, and said we need to know the procedure but would not be tested on actual spread plates. Yay!
Today we did capsule and simple staining. Initially my partner and I were concerned our slides wouldn't be viewable, but they all ended up wonderfully. It was exciting to see our results under the microscope.
Yup, still loving lab.
@wordsofmymouth: Thanks for the good wishes! My study partner and I are meeting up one day for extra studying, so I'm ever-hopeful. Good luck with your test!
Continued wishes of good luck to everybody in micro. We can do this!
- 0Sep 7, '12 by melc0305Am I the only one hating this class? So much information and so far it is a lot of chemistry and cellular biology. Way over my head Lab is not taught by the lecture professor so there is not much correlation between the two. The lab is interesting but very disorganized. Just not feeling this class. And of course that leads to the inevitable "I'm too stupid to be a nurse" thoughts!
- 0Sep 7, '12 by CordaePQuote from melc0305I actually like the lecture part. She do powerpoints but she also review the previous class material. She gives quizzes over each chapter. At first I was like damn she do quizes; however, it helps me to study as I go. I usually have a habit of study everything at one time before a test. I feel like I am half way prepared for next week's test already. Now lab I do not like at all. You are really on your own in lab.Am I the only one hating this class? So much information and so far it is a lot of chemistry and cellular biology. Way over my head Lab is not taught by the lecture professor so there is not much correlation between the two. The lab is interesting but very disorganized. Just not feeling this class. And of course that leads to the inevitable "I'm too stupid to be a nurse" thoughts!
- 0Sep 11, '12 by Blue Felt FedoraQuote from melc0305I don't hate the class, but you're right, it's A LOT of information. Luckily, my Lecture and Lab professor are the same person, so that probably helps me out.Am I the only one hating this class? So much information and so far it is a lot of chemistry and cellular biology. Way over my head Lab is not taught by the lecture professor so there is not much correlation between the two. The lab is interesting but very disorganized. Just not feeling this class. And of course that leads to the inevitable "I'm too stupid to be a nurse" thoughts!
We had our first test today, and although I got an A, I'm still disappointed in my performance. However, I went in to that test this morning not feeling at all prepared. I think I have a better handle on how to study for the next test, but of course, time will tell.
Keep at it, though. Maybe it will get more interesting as you get further in. I find that the more I can relate things I learn in class to what's going on around me, the more excited I become. Maybe that's why I'm watching the Discovery Fit & Health network so much.
- 0Sep 11, '12 by SopranoKrisHad our 2nd quiz today and a review for our first exam on Thursday. Our 1st lab journal is due tomorrow. I did sketches and it ended up being 5 pages (we keep them in a composition notebook). Tomorrow's lab is Gram staining & other staining techniques. I wonder if we're using the bacteria we isolated into colonies from our 1st lab? Or if we're using completely new samples? Hmmm...
We just found out today that our lecture exam will have 3 essay questions worth 8 points each...ugh! Gimme multiple choice & true/false anytime