career change.. What should I do?Register Today!
- by starnurse2b16 Jan 31Hello I have decided to change my major from biology to nursing. I am having a hard time getting into nursing schools,due to the fact my prequites gpa is very low. I have several options: Option 1: I could finish my biology degree( only have 15 classes till I graduate). Later try to get into an accerated bsn program. Option 2: Retake the nursing prequites and score higher grade. Try to get accepted into fscj or sjrsc and program.Later go back to school for my bsn.I am confused on which route to take. I love to get other people opinion on which route , I should take. Thank you in advance. Please no negative comments.
- Jan 31 by july06I say just retake the nursing pre reqs. 15 classes is a lot.
- Jan 31 by jhaupert813I'm kind of in the same boat as you are except I didn't realize I wanted to pursue a career in nursing until I had been out of college for 6 years. I have a BS in Animal Science, and my GPA isn't very good either. Luckily, my pre-reqs and entrance exam scores are stellar, so hopefully ill get into the nursing program I want.
If you really, really want to be a nurse, I would recommend retaking your pre-reqs. I'm applying for an ADN program, and it's apparently more competitive than some of the BSN programs here, and from what I've read on here, almost all the programs are GPA based.
Good luck in whichever you decide to do!!!
- Feb 1 by Cerriwin15 classes? Or 15 credit hours?
- Feb 1 by RunningonfancyI would just retake prerequisite classes you need a better grade in. 15 classes is too many.
- Feb 1 by itsmejuliI'd finish the biology degree and really think if nursing is what you want. There are other interesting medical fields such as physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy to name a few. There's way too many unemployed nurses right now.
- Feb 1 by Shorty11Like a PP said, 15 classes or 15 credit hours?? I'm asking because you said "only" 15 classes left. 15 credit hours, I'd say finish the degree. You could potentially finish 15 credit hours in one semester. (I am now working on a BSN. I have my first bachelors in Biology. 15 credit hours as a Biology major is very difficult but it is doable if scheduling works out). 15 classes, I would say look into what it would take to improve prereq GPA and change majors. Just be careful, some schools place a cap on the number of retakes/grade-replacements you are allowed. For example, my school only allows 3 total retakes/grade-replacements for the entire degree. (One is allowed for actual nursing courses, so if you use all three of your retakes on prereqs and then fail a nursing course and need to retake it, you are out of luck as you have already used all of your retake/grade-replacements). Not trying to sound harsh, just letting you know before you start retaking classes that not all schools allow unlimited grade replacing. Best of luck!
- Feb 1 by starnurse2b16Thank you everyone for the advice . I meant I have 15 classes left not credits. Sorry about the mix up everyone!
- Feb 1 by starnurse2b16Shorty I really love your advice. You are not being harsh at all. I think I might Just take shorty and itsmejuli advice and Just complete my degree. It seems that I am having a diffucult time getting into nursing schools. No matter what route I try to take. I really want to work in the medical field. Because I love helping people. It seems like like itsmejuli said everyone is trying to become a nurse. Maybe there is no longer a nurse shortage. I will look into other medical careers, that I would love. I never realized how competive nursing schools could be. Maybe becoming anurse is not the career for me. Like that old saying goes things happen for a reason. Thank again everyone and helping me make my desicion.