VA hospital nursing in Oklahoma
- 1Feb 18, '11 by NaKclDoes anyone working in Oklahoma VA Hospital?
I am interested at working at VA. I have 2 years of med-surg experience.
Before I start the length process(that is what I heard) of application, I would like to hear from some nurses who work at VA.
I would like to know the pay scale with my experience, and working condition.
Thank you for your input.
- 6,675 Views
- 1Feb 18, '11 by TheCareerStudentI am a veteran and I volunteer at the VAMC in VA. I can tell you the hiring process is very long but I can also tell you that veterans like me appreciate those who work there! Pay is not the best compared to the civilian sector, but you can't be federal benefits. If you are a military spouse or a veteran don't forget to use your hiring preference points.
- 5Feb 18, '11 by HappyGirl2011I am a student nurse tech there and I absolutely LOVE it there! Most of the nurses are really nice and helpful. The veterans are wonderful and make everything worth it! It is a really special thing to serve those who have sacrificed and served our country!
- 0Feb 19, '11 by TheCareerStudentThe length of the process depends on the person. I have heard it can take anywhere from 2 months and up. My friend Carmen took about 2 months to go through the whole hiring process and then orientation, but she is prior military with a security clearance. I have heard that the background checks are what takes the longest, they are very thorough.
I hope that helps!
Happygirl2011 you rock! I wish more Americans felt that way!
- 0Feb 21, '11 by NaKclThank you everyone for your reply. I didn't see much information in Oklahoma nursing forum.
There are not much recent information about VA nursing.
I am guessing either all Oklahoma VA nurses are happy and content with their job,
They are not interested at reading others opions on nursing issue or have any issues to vent here,
They are so busy that they don't have time to joint this Allnurses forum....
- 0Feb 23, '11 by Ambitiouzthanks for starting this thread, I am also interested in working for the VA in the future and can't find any info in the OK forum. I believe they do 80 hr work weeks, so it would be the 6 12's and an additional 8 hr shift per pay period. But I also hear the benefits make it worth it.