Would you rather have a child said to be SS or abort? - page 3

This is a question one of my patients had asked me.Very difficult one. She had gone to a genetic counsellor as her doctor ordered but feels she doesn't want to keep the baby because of associated... Read More

  1. by   rpbear
    At 5 months, the baby is almost viable, depends on how many weeks. I think this plays a huge role it the decision. As far as what would I do if this was my pt....I would listen to her concerns make sure she has all the correct information about both sides, and make sure she has discussed this with ther partner. I would offer her to talk with a specialist, and encourage her to get a second oppinion. Whatever her decision she should have support from everyone involved.

    tough situation, I think this discussion could apply to any situation in which a pt asks our oppinion about a ethical decision.
  2. by   33-weeker
    Quote from BouBou
    I hope she realizes that she carries the Sickle Cell trait and that the child's father has the trait as well. As a result, any child that she has will have an at least 50% chance of having Sickle Cell and an even higher risk of carrying the gene. Therefore, terminating this pregnancy may seem like a way of ending the situation. However, she may have to face this situation again in subsequent pregnancies.
    Good point.
  3. by   MomNRN
    Quote from Marie_LPN
    What i personally would rather have is support for whatever i decided was best.
    Very well said.

    This is a difficult choice only she can make. Until we walk in her shoes, we can't truly speak.
  4. by   moonchild20002000
    There are a few things about this situation that really bother me.
    I wonder if she really is as informed as she should be?
    I also wonder if she may be depressed? I am not judging her in any way,I feel that she needs more information before she makes a decision.I feel like as nurses it is up to us to support our pts,I just don't feel she has all the information she needs to make that decision. Is there a way she could talk to a therapist?
  5. by   Spidey's mom
    I agree with the idea that she needs a second opinion. I can't believe that she is being encouraged to abort for sickle cell anemia. And at 5 months.

    I had genetic counseling when I was pregnant with my son at 42 years old. Most of the weight of the blood tests is on age of the mother, which really tells you nothing about the true condition of the baby. I had a regular sono, a more detailed sono, genetic counseling by UC Davis, and I agreed to an amnio even though we would not have aborted. In hindsight I gave in to hammering I got from the "experts". Which I regret. My son is fine.

    steph
  6. by   DutchgirlRN
    Abort for sickle cell? That is truely sad. Why does every baby have to be perfect? As we all know, those tests carry a high rate of false positives. They scare the h*** out of pregnant women. Sickle cell can be dealt with. What about when your child turns out to be a drug addict, an alcoholic or sexually promiscuous as a teen or young adult? Do we go around thinking "gee I should of had an abortion"? Where will this nonsense end?
  7. by   Stine65
    I don't know if this will make a difference, but the doctor told my mother I would not be able to move from the neck down and she should put me to sleep, when I was an infant. My father told the doctor he would take care of me the rest of his life if that's what it took. I wish you could see me now; I'm 42 years old and I'm studying to be a nurse. I didn't have any problems growing up. I was an honor student and very active in the sporting arena. Food for thought, just because a person has M.D. behind their name doesn't mean they're God. Only God knows what the outcome will be and he will not put no more on us that we can bear. Glad to be still here to contribute to the world.
  8. by   SuesquatchRN
    I would abort. While SSA is survivable, it is painful. Besides, I see no reason to keep the gene available for reproduction.
  9. by   Tiwi
    The decision to abort is not yours to make and it is very unfair of this person to ask such a question of you. I would suggest that the person be given information about the condition from reliable sources, perhaps make contact with self help groups of either ppl with the condition / families caring for children with the condition, and allow her to make her own decision. In other words, the decision needs to be "informed".
  10. by   middlekane
    Quote from BouBou
    I hope she realizes that she carries the Sickle Cell trait and that the child's father has the trait as well. As a result, any child that she has will have an at least 50% chance of having Sickle Cell and an even higher risk of carrying the gene. Therefore, terminating this pregnancy may seem like a way of ending the situation. However, she may have to face this situation again in subsequent pregnancies.

    The risk is lower than that. Sickle Cell is recessive. She has a 25% chance of having another child with it with the same father. She has a 50% chance of having the child carry the sickle cell trait, but not be sick, ie. the child would be like her. She has a 25% chance that the child will not carry the trait at all.
  11. by   pearl4M92
    I think she should have the baby and put the baby up for adoption if she doesn't want to deal with issues. She should see how her baby looks in her womb at 5 months. 93% of women regret having an abortion no matter what their reason was. I deal with women all the time that have serious relationship issues, physical problems, and emtional problems trying to deal with their "loss." Abortion isn't a solution, but an addition of many future problems.
  12. by   SuesquatchRN
    Quote from pearl4M92
    I think she should have the baby and put the baby up for adoption if she doesn't want to deal with issues. She should see how her baby looks in her womb at 5 months. 93% of women regret having an abortion no matter what their reason was. I deal with women all the time that have serious relationship issues, physical problems, and emtional problems trying to deal with their "loss." Abortion isn't a solution, but an addition of many future problems.
    Gee. The only thing I felt was relief.

    I'd love to know where your figures come from. Certainly, this belies them.
  13. by   pearl4M92
    Suesquatch, this is just some of the links where I "get my information from." Not to mention the women that belong to groups such as "Silent No More",the thousands that get help from counselors from the "pro-life" side of things, and the women I have helped. Just because a women has an abortion, doesn't mean she isn't or wasn't a mother. She was a mother, only now her baby isn't alive.
    http://www.unfairchoice.info/intro.htm

    http://www.gargaro.com/choicetolife.html

    If you want more I can supply it. I am out to help women, not give them a temporary fix that ends a life and will enevitably hurt her.(In most cases). I was for pro-choice now I am pro-women.

close