My best orientation mistakes - Page 5Register Today!
- Jan 15, '11 by SBarnQuote from mushrooms4This is hilarious. I needed that laugh.Okay, this is not so much a mistake as a funny story about myself- yes I am tattling on me.... When I was a new grad, I was very naive to the things of the world... I had a sheltered life and had no idea the crazy shenanagins people do to themself in the name of, shall we say, pleasuring themselves? Well, I had paged the surgeon, with no response, so later when I saw him he said he was sorry he didn't call back, he was in surgery emergently removing a whole carrot from someone's intestines. I looked at him and said, "how did he swallow a carrot whole?" He just stared at me and my preceptor said, "Yes, she's serious." I tell you what, for the next two years, when I least expected it, I would find a carrot in my lunch bag, my pocket, my chart, my locker..... I didn't live it down for a long time.
- Jan 17, '11 by UpinawayRNFor those of you that don't know, yes, there is RECTAL ASA suppositories. Wish someone would have clarified that before the pt pooped out his tablet while my colleague and I were changing him. Boy did her eyes bug out! (yeah, I did it) Also, anyone elso rush off to work with 2 different reeboks on and didn't notice until someone told them? ( hey, at least they were both white)errr...off-white. ahhhh......good times....
- Jan 17, '11 by Ruby VeeQuote from upinawayrnnot with reeboks, but i've rushed off to work with two different danskos! i should have noticed that one was navy and the other was black!for those of you that don't know, yes, there is rectal asa suppositories. wish someone would have clarified that before the pt pooped out his tablet while my colleague and i were changing him. boy did her eyes bug out! (yeah, i did it) also, anyone elso rush off to work with 2 different reeboks on and didn't notice until someone told them? ( hey, at least they were both white)errr...off-white. ahhhh......good times....
- Jan 17, '11 by regularRNI once wore my scrub pants back to front - it's dark when I get dressed!
- Jan 18, '11 by UpinawayRNYeah, and there's the old wore the scrubs inside out so the seams were obvious..not a big deal..but can't believe I did it so many times, though I swore I would be more careful! Tough getting ready in the dark trying not to wake anyone! Did learn to check my shoes at least by the time I was in the car though. Hey, when you have kids to get up and get ready for school, lunches and backpacks, snacks and gas, coffee etc, easy to do......"god please let me finish getting ready before kids chaos awakening beginnings....."yes, kids, I will act like a drill sergeant if I can't get cooperation!"
- Jan 18, '11 by sharpeimomin ortho...
tried to substitute a doubled ziplock bag for an icebag when we ran out of the real thing. when it melted about three-quarters of the way... bang! and my poor patient was soaked and his wife was livid!
- Jun 14, '11 by leeleepigQuote from skicoachrnI can relate! i always feel like i still have a lot to learn. During my hospital training, i had to change the foley catheter of my patient and it was my first time doing it on a real patient. I was glad my preceptor was there to help me out. After successfully inserting catheter, i accidentally punctured the rubber lining when i was inflating the balloon with a 10 cc syringe (*thought it was self sealing, i was wrong) and then nss squirted out. i was so embarrassed. :|7)__ Stood around feeling really clueless.
- Jun 14, '11 by JBuddYou know those step in baths, where you sit upright and have the water swirl up around you? Did you know you have to let the water drain OUT before you unlatch the door to have the pt step out again? Well, I sure learned that one
- Jun 15, '11 by DA314During clinicals one day, I was assisting a group of nurses to put a condom cath on a sedated patient. The nurse put mastesol all over the penis, then looked and me and said "Blow on this to help it dry" She was totally kidding, but me, being new and wanting to follow directions, started to take a deep breath. then I realized what she was asking me to do! I about died laughing. There were about 5 other nurses in there. It was so embarassing.
- Jun 15, '11 by regularRN"You know those step in baths, where you sit upright and have the water swirl up around you? Did you know you have to let the water drain OUT before you unlatch the door to have the pt step out again? Well, I sure learned that one"
Apart from opening the door before the bath has drained, these baths are so cool-people who have previously had no access to a bath can relax in the tub with bubbles etc. :redpinkhe